It is currently 29 Mar 2024 11:45

All times are UTC

Post subject: S3T front calliper/disc
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2018 10:25 

Current ride: XB12XT Ulysses
Hoping someone can give me some advice for my 2000 S3T. The front pads needed replacing but on checking I found that the disc is not running centrally in the calliper. It's less than 1mm from the off side edge and approximately 4mm from the near side edge. Clearly the disc needs to move over to the left. Is this a simple case of the front wheel not in the correct position? What's the best routine for bolting up the front spindle to ensure the wheel is running where it should be?
Many thanks

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2018 12:40 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
Does it have a speedo drive on the front wheel? You could be missing a spacer.

Interestingly, the wheel is bolted against the non caliper fork leg, so you have the errors of three external spacers, the inter bearing spacer and also the seating of the bearings. Add to that whether the fork leg was free on the axle before it was clamped up.

My S1 suffered the same when I bought it and :maz: identified the issue as a missing spacer straight away. I put the dimensions of the common spacer to go missing in the How To under Useful Info Depository.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2018 14:29 

Thanks for the prompt reply. I suspected a missing spacer at first but my forks are USD and no speedo drive in this position. Following your comments I checked the spindle and it is certainly in as far as it should be and the R/H spacer (about 10 mm) is there pushed against bearing inner. On the near side there is a spacer of about 35-40mm. The bearing itself is a long way in from the surface of centre hub/boss of the wheel whereas on the off side the bearing outer is a fraction proud of the centre boss of the wheel. By the way they are performance machine alloys.
I suspect that the bearings may have been changed and they have not been seated correctly or an issue with the inner spacer ( I presume there is one).
Currently waiting for a front stand so that I get the wheel out and have a proper check.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2018 15:17 
proff. patpending

The spacers between the bearings are very weak. Check the bearings are the correct part too. They should both be 6204 (2RS).

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2018 16:31 
Site Admin

PM wheels have steel spacers.....so not very weak at all !

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2018 17:13 

Well I took it all apart and dropped in to see Maz. His advice on centralising the forks/wheel spot on and with new bearings and disc (the original had max run out) it's now spot on.
Many thanks Maz! :D

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2018 19:14 
proff. patpending

:yup: