It is currently 20 Apr 2024 10:01

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Flakey Swingarm!!!
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2009 16:59 

The Dutchess's Buel XB9SX (2006, 7500 rain-free miles) has developed a weird flaking of the finish on the part of the rear swingarm that is bolted on above the drive belt. (No idea what it's for).

It's a bit crap to be honest, and I'm deeply unipressed with the quality of finish.

Despite keeping her under warps in the wet and copious layers of ACF-50 this part looks shyte. Also the rear cylinder head has white furring beginning to appear (even though I took the airbox off to coat with ACF-50).

So...

Firstly, I've had a moan - and a call out to other whingers to talk about corrosion, and make comparisons to the likes of Honda and KTM, etc...

and...

Secondly, can anyone help? Is this part as replaceable as it looks? What's the score?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Flakey Swingarm!!!
PostPosted: 08 Jun 2009 17:02 

Current ride: K100 CBR1000F z550Gt
Dutch wrote:
Despite keeping her under warps

Under warps, feck me, mine don't go that fast :shock: She's gonna blow Cap'n, I cannae control it :o

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2009 17:36 

Arf Arf... Alright Scotty. You ken what I mean? .... I meant under "wraps" of course.

Please help, fellow Buellsters.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2009 23:01 
A grey tide eel

Mines the same as well but 17500 all weather every day miles. Looks like your swingarm has leprosy. Usual crap Buell finishing. By the way mines an SX as well. 2004.

Piaggio X8 400ie
Yamaha XTZ750 Super Tenere (x2)
Suzuki GSXR750WR
BSA B441VS
FJR1300

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2009 11:24 

That's a bit crap then.

Why do Buell have to build a lovely bike, and then fook it up by not knowing how to finish metal properly???!!! ...Jesus, in this day and age it really isn't rocket science.

Has anyone had any luck with getting parts like this replaced out of warranty?

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2009 12:06 

Dutch wrote:
Why do Buell have to build a lovely bike, and then fook it up by not knowing how to finish metal properly???!!! ...Jesus, in this day and age it really isn't rocket science.

The metal is finished just fine... for the American market where they don't put some poisonous and corrosive substance all across the roads for 6 months of the year.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2009 14:29 

Norm wrote:
The metal is finished just fine... for the American market where they don't put some poisonous and corrosive substance all across the roads for 6 months of the year.

Sorry Norm, but IMHumbleO that's a piss poor excuse for bad quality.

My KTM Superduke has been run for two winters in all kinds of road crud, and - with a little help from the old faithful ACF-50 - it looks brand new after a wash. I've owned 21 bikes in 23 years of riding and this is my most disappointing experience of finish to date...
...factor-in owning a Maico and a Ducati, and you realise that's no small insult.

The US has a massice range of climates across it's landmass and I'm sure they grit the roads when required. If America's finest bike builders can't put a little bit of effort into finishing their export bikes to the same standards as their competitors then they deserve the bad rep they've earned.

I'm deeply unimpressed and will be bothering my local dealer to hassle Buell's UK distributors for a replacement part.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2009 15:30 

Dutch wrote:
Sorry Norm, but IMHumbleO that's a piss poor excuse for bad quality.
Rats, you spotted the flaw in my post. :D

Dutch wrote:
My KTM Superduke has been run for two winters in all kinds of road crud, and - with a little help from the old faithful ACF-50 - it looks brand new after a wash.
European, built to withstand the shite that we throw on our roads.

Dutch wrote:
The US has a massice range of climates across it's landmass and I'm sure they grit the roads when required.
I have not made any in-depth study into the maintenance regimes across the pond but my understanding is that they do not use salt.

I'm not trying to defend Buell (even thinking it has me breaking out into a fit of giggles), just passing on excuses I've seen here and elsewhere. The build is shite, not just the finish but, with the current range, it seems to start at the design stage.

The bikes smell of economy in a way that does not match the prices we paid.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2009 15:53 

Hi again Norm,

Thanks for the forthright response. ... I guess I'm just disappointed, cos I love what Buell stand for, and I'd love to defend them (as I often do), but considering the Yanks were the fathers of the mass market automotive industry, it's gobsmacking how crap they are at doing it now.

...plus I just wanted to moan along side the few who just might understand...

...and perhaps have my spirits lifted by tales of free replacement parts, from an embarassed Buell UK. :rofl:

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009 00:10 
A grey tide eel

Checking my wheels today and I can feel where a huge piece of the paint has lifted from the wheel a whole section on the rim between two spokes on the rear. Not long till that detaches and makes the bike look even shitter. I will need to start saving to have them powder coated.

Reckon Buell get stuff finished at the same places the chinese bike manafacturers do.

Piaggio X8 400ie
Yamaha XTZ750 Super Tenere (x2)
Suzuki GSXR750WR
BSA B441VS
FJR1300