It is currently 19 Apr 2024 03:15

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: A tale of petrol!
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2009 11:17 
The Nagged Hubby

A few years ago I use to use Morris's fuel in my car and occasionally would get the ECM light flash.
Then a couple of years ago Morris's and Tesco had big problems with their petrols knackering sensors on cars up and down the country so I stopped using it and sure enough the ECM light no longer comes on.

Last week my Mrs cars ECM light came on and stayed on! I'll give you three guess's which fuel she had been using!
Before she had it checked out and turned off I asked her to fill up with anything but.
Sure enough there was a problem with No1 O2 sensor so we got one last week.
Now then, I have only just fitted it and all week on the old one the light has not come on since running on a better fuel plus my Mrs says it has run further on the better fuel, Texaco I think.

As I was fitting the new sensor just my Daughter rolls up and asks whats going on with the car so I told her and immediatly relates how a friend has just this week had the exact same problem. It turns out she has been using the same petrol, Morrison's.
Bet we didn't need to buy that sodding sensor (£140)

Any way thats why I don't buy their petrol, I tried to convince the Mrs ages ago but now I think it's gone in :yup:

Just thinking about your O2 sensors fellers n' girls!
On a side note the Mrs won't put it her bike, say's it runs like shite!

Nate.

Post subject: Re: A tale of petrol!
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2009 13:58 
has it got a pulse?

Current ride: FUBAR...Enough said!
Quite a technical product..........................for something you burn :!: :lol: :lol:

You only need two bikes in life-an S1 and a Multistrada!

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2009 20:23 

Current ride: M2 Razorback
Nate wrote:
A few years ago I use to use Morris's fuel in my car and occasionally would get the ECM light flash.
Then a couple of years ago Morris's and Tesco had big problems with their petrols knackering sensors on cars up and down the country so I stopped using it and sure enough the ECM light no longer comes on.

Last week my Mrs cars ECM light came on and stayed on! I'll give you three guess's which fuel she had been using!
Before she had it checked out and turned off I asked her to fill up with anything but.
Sure enough there was a problem with No1 O2 sensor so we got one last week.
Now then, I have only just fitted it and all week on the old one the light has not come on since running on a better fuel plus my Mrs says it has run further on the better fuel, Texaco I think.

As I was fitting the new sensor just my Daughter rolls up and asks whats going on with the car so I told her and immediatly relates how a friend has just this week had the exact same problem. It turns out she has been using the same petrol, Morrison's.
Bet we didn't need to buy that sodding sensor (£140)

Any way thats why I don't buy their petrol, I tried to convince the Mrs ages ago but now I think it's gone in :yup:

Just thinking about your O2 sensors fellers n' girls!
On a side note the Mrs won't put it her bike, say's it runs like shite!

Nate.

This is no surprise to people in the motor trade.
The first Q I ask people with any rough running, pinking, missing, starting problems etc etc etc is what fuel they're using... It never ceases to amaze me that seemingly intelligent people STILL buy Tesco / Asda / Morrisons' etc petrol despite that debacle a couple of years ago... it's no secret to the trade that they get the dregs of the refinery and with poor or no additive packages... we see the results in gummed up fuel injectors, failed Lamda Sensors and Cats, even stuck inlet valves!
Just what exactly are they trying to save? ...a couple of pence per gallon? False economy!
It's a simple equation of Cost vs Value.
My advice is to always buy the best fuel you can be it Shell, Esso, Texaco etc and I'd add always buy the most expensive available too, be it Optimax, V-Power, Ultimate or whatever... forget the Octane rating...it's simply better quality fuel! Time and time again I give this advice to customers and I have never ever had anything but thanks from them on their next visit... it really does make a tangible difference... and in most cases they report a decrease in fuel consumption that actually cancels out the increased cost at the pump!

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2009 20:25 
A grey tide eel

I thought it was superunleaded all the way for the Buells or is there super stuff crap too?

Piaggio X8 400ie
Yamaha XTZ750 Super Tenere (x2)
Suzuki GSXR750WR
BSA B441VS
FJR1300

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2009 21:51 
The Nagged Hubby

Some folk use the 95 stuff in their Buells so I'm just warning them.

Well said rik.

Nate.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2009 11:42 
nate just to let you know the code that you had on your car said it was the o2 sensor well 9 times outta 10 it isnt the sensor thats at fault, its the sensor that is finding the problem so be warned the light might come back on now and it will have the same code (the o2 sensor) im sorry to say this is a big mistake alot of mechanics make and you will be kicking yourself if its a airleak that costs 2quid to fix

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2009 11:51 

rik wrote:
Just what exactly are they trying to save? ...a couple of pence per gallon? False economy!

Further to that one, it surprises me that people are so hooked on pump prices who then drive like tossers.

On my morning commute, I usually get around 40mpg but having a calm morning can see that at 45, just as "angry" driving can see it drop to 35. Usually, the journey time doesn't change, just the distance to the car in front.

How far do peeps drive to save 1p/l, whereas driving sensibly can effectively save them more than 10p/l.

As an aside, taking the motorway adds about 20% to my journey distance but the relatively steady pace sees me increase my consumption more than enough to compensate. Fecking boring journey, though, my preferred route beats the M25 any day. 8-)

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2009 13:19 

So, you guys use Super Unleaded - Optimax/v-power etc with your Buells?

I normally just use the standard fuel, though normally from Shell or BP - they are the cheapest around here.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2009 13:49 

Current ride: Xb12Scg
i use 97 when i can find it, but some garages round here don't have it or are out of stock :roll: . my xb seems to run better, but not a massive difference

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2009 14:35 

Current ride: Mojo
I always put in the most expensive unless its diesel. :D

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2009 16:06 

Current ride: M2 Razorback
paul1433 wrote:
nate just to let you know the code that you had on your car said it was the o2 sensor well 9 times outta 10 it isnt the sensor thats at fault, its the sensor that is finding the problem so be warned the light might come back on now and it will have the same code (the o2 sensor) im sorry to say this is a big mistake alot of mechanics make and you will be kicking yourself if its a airleak that costs 2quid to fix

:yt: Good point well made. ..and that's the trouble with modern diagnostics and 'fitters' who aren't old enough to wipe their own botties, let alone interpret data.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2009 16:32 

Lucky wrote:
I always put in the most expensive unless its diesel. :D

No, no, no, Buells really don't like diesel ;) :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2009 18:17 
The Nagged Hubby

paul1433 wrote:

:rofl: :headbang: Yeah your so correct, been there done that, had a car come back twice once and the lad could not understand it having replaced two sensors. Looking at the sensor it was sooty. I told him look elsewhere nowt wrong with the sensor.
Well the Mrs bought the new sensor on their recomendation before I could stop it and guess what the light is back on!
Time to do it my self, maybe a loose plug.
Morrison's petrol is still :tosser: besides!

Nate.

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2009 20:15 

Nate, what is your wifes car (make and model) and what exactly was the code givenup by the ECU. As Paul1433 sort of said there are no codes for "your sensor is fu-ked". codes are at best a signpost as to the cause of a fault.
It would not by chance be a VW or Ford would it?

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2009 20:21 
I always go for Tesco or Sainsburies fuel and put in super unleaded for my bikes (except the Buell) and Diesel in my cars. There are no Shell stations in Plymouth - all sold out to Texaco which is up to 5ppl dearer - I avoid like the plaque out of protest! But comments made here have got me thinking? Are these other fuells that much better? I've never noticed?

I put Shell Optimiax in a couple days after buying my bike. Ran rough at tickover, missed a couple of beats too. Manual says use RON95 = std unleaded, since then stuck with std unleaded for my Buell.

Usually I noticed a difference between Std and super unleaded, seems to be more responsive on the throttle, if only a little!