It is currently 28 Mar 2024 21:55

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 714 Next
 Post subject: Re: Outrageous
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2010 12:37 
Nanny Brown

Well said Nick. :clap:

Maybe purchasing these parts could be considered, with any profits from their sale going to the Emma Radford Charity. :idea:

..and maybe the donation to charity could be put forward as a reason WHY they should 'sell' the parts to UKBEG!

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2010 12:41 
Needs more cowbell

Current ride: None
The parts couldn't be bought by "UKBEG" the monies held in the account are donated by people for the running of the site and not for the purchase of parts that might not even fit their bikes :? not to mention the tax implications if UKBEG started acting as a parts distributor.

Individuals would have to buy them privately.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2010 13:21 

Current ride: Not a Buell
If it meant that parts were available to keep my S1 and X1 on the road, and that profits went to charity, then I'd be happy to contribute towards purchasing these parts :)

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2010 13:43 

Current ride: S1W,S2T,1125CR
Allan did say earlier that the parts would have to be purchased by a dealer. Black Bear has something of a track record for clearing obsolete items from the European Distribution Centre so the question was asked when this thread first started. Watch this space ;)

Steve

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2010 13:48 
Needs more cowbell

Current ride: None
Steve, as you know most jump up and down and grumble but if you bought the parts in ... would people actually get off their arses and buy them .. ?

Take apparel for instance, a huge amount of moaning and complaining about no stock, you buy it in and sod all people go and buy it.

People just like to whine ... loads complain about dealer workshop prices yet don't use Maz or Tubbs at half the cost ..

The old saying goes ... use it or lose it ... now it's buy it or lose it, its supply and demand isn't it .. ?

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2010 14:11 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
Instead of putting more obstacles up, we should be breaking down those that already exist.

If BB are happy to be the custodian and seller of all the obsolete parts, then that is great. The Big Black Bear himself is not going to do this if he ends up out of pocket, so the price of parts bought will obviously reflect the risk.

As for UKBEG monies being used, of course there will be no expectation that the bucket of money that UKBEG has for running of the site will be used to buy tons of obsolete parts that may never be wanted... However, there needs to be a push to rescue the parts that are already being trashed and not turn it into a profit making exercise.

I am sure many on this site are already snapping up parts when they see them for sale, with the expectation of needing them later and them not being available. A central repository would be good on the understanding that people only buy if they need (just as if it was a shop). I am as much to blame as anyone, having just bought a number of X1 CPS trigger rotors (for S1 dev work) which are no longer available (even though the last X1 parts-bin-special may have rolled off the production line only EIGHT years ago).

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2010 14:34 
What plans do they have for the tooling and moulds?

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2010 17:19 

I think the tooling (BMC) was sold off a long time ago. I agree with nick, let's not bite the hand that feeds us and feel that any offer made to us should be made as easy as possible, after all, we're small fish in a big pond.
I'm as guilty of hoarding as anyone, with sheds full of JAP and Triumph stuff and a growing stash of Tuber motors lOl
If BB are offering to become a player in stocking the parts, then good on them I say :yup:

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2010 20:06 

Adam wrote:
If BB are offering to become a player in stocking the parts, then good on them I say :yup:

+1 :yup:

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2010 20:11 

Current ride: Ducati Monster 950+
Ash wrote:
Take apparel for instance, a huge amount of moaning and complaining about no stock, you buy it in and sod all people go and buy

Blimey Ash - have you met Magz? She buys loads of Buell clobber!

In the garage -

2001 X1
KTM390 Duke
Ducati 950 Monster +
CCM Spitfire Scrambler

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2010 21:51 

Current ride: 1991 RS1200 westwind
Norm wrote:
Adam wrote:

+2 :yup:

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2010 21:55 
Nanny Brown

kevmean wrote:
Norm wrote:
Adam wrote:

+2 :yup:

+ a :yt: :yup: lOl

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2010 08:03 

ursus americanus wrote:
Allan did say earlier that the parts would have to be purchased by a dealer. Black Bear has something of a track record for clearing obsolete items from the European Distribution Centre so the question was asked when this thread first started. Watch this space ;) Steve
:worthy: :worthy:

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2010 08:43 

Current ride: XB9SX
Ash wrote:
Steve, as you know most jump up and down and grumble but if you bought the parts in ... would people actually get off their arses and buy them .. ?

Take apparel for instance, a huge amount of moaning and complaining about no stock, you buy it in and sod all people go and buy it.

People just like to whine ... loads complain about dealer workshop prices yet don't use Maz or Tubbs at half the cost ..

The old saying goes ... use it or lose it ... now it's buy it or lose it, its supply and demand isn't it .. ?

True to a point. I expected high service costs when buying my Buell, but it later became clear that I simply could not afford to pay my original dealer to do all the work that needed doing to my XB to keep it on top form, while I was still learning. I also heard horror stories from people who had bad servicing experiences (not just on this site). :roll: And I did buy 'apparel', but had to order the things I wanted from far away! :?

My main gripe like many here will be with a large faceless corporation that pulls the strings, not individual dealers who have generally been good to me. Like why were the decks cleared of Buell accessories so quickly? I heard that the only reason the Buell oval signs didn't come down immediately was the unsightly mounting lugs on the posts:?

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2010 11:16 
I have to say I agree with the point re the clearing of the board for accessories.

All the Buell bikes sold to the point HD closed the division down wouldn't disappear overnight. Those bikes would all still be out there and many owners would still desire the genuine accessories as well as parts.

It would seem, to me, to be cutting off a source of business unnecessarily. True I do not know the cost of manufacturing and selling the accessories. The suppliers may up the price as the orders being made by HD as they wouldn't always cover their costs but nevertheless the demand would still be there in smaller numbers.

It also seems strange to me that third party suppliers aren't all jumping in and taking up the business. The bikes are there. The desire and need is there. Why are there not more third party firms providing parts and accessories to fill the void?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 714 Next