It is currently 19 Apr 2024 17:23

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 614 Next
 Post subject: Re: Outrageous
PostPosted: 10 Nov 2010 14:45 
Needs more cowbell

Current ride: None
1940's designs at 2010 prices ... Nah!

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2010 14:50 

Did Harley Davidson have their own financing arm in those other times?
Just cos you survived the last ones doesn't mean you'll survive this - it's a different world.

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2010 15:43 

Current ride: S1w X1 1125CR
1203 wrote:
Toyboy1584 wrote:
I like you Alan :clap: :D

Looks like we have the inaugural (and lonely) member number 1 of the Allan fan club. we will be having meetings in a one person phone box! :dance: :dance: :D :D

It's gonna have to be one hell of a big phone box to fit in with Dave :rofl: :rofl:

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2010 15:48 
deepsix wrote:
1203 wrote:
Toyboy1584 wrote:
I like you Alan :clap: :D

Looks like we have the inaugural (and lonely) member number 1 of the Allan fan club. we will be having meetings in a one person phone box! :dance: :dance: :D :D

It's gonna have to be one hell of a big phone box to fit in with Dave :rofl: :rofl:

lOl

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2010 17:57 
Can't we all be nice?

True we aren't all big, beardy and late 40s with a leather fetish but everyone's allowed a bike, even an old fashioned designed one.

And to be fair, without HD who'd supply those parts for our lovely Buells? :sun:

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2010 19:57 

sirmarky wrote:
And to be fair, without HD who'd supply those parts for our lovely Buells? :sun:

That's easy - :maz:

:worthy:

(Just not by mail order)

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2010 20:58 

Current ride: MY2010 Buell XB12XT
yourguitarhero wrote:
Did Harley Davidson have their own financing arm in those other times?
Just cos you survived the last ones doesn't mean you'll survive this - it's a different world.

Yep- The finance arm has had a massive turnaround back into profit as the US banks have started to relax and realise unless they lend, they wont get any interest.

As all who know the US culture, no-one buys cars or bikes in the US- its all finance driven and largely on PCP- so when the US banks closed down, that hurt everyone.

Check out the qtr 3 results here http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/HD_News/Company/disclaimer.jsp?locale=en_US&articleLink=News/0884_press_release.hdnews&newsYear=2010&history=news for more

I draw your attention to this part

Quote:
Cash Flow
Cash and marketable securities totaled $1.55 billion as of Sept. 26, 2010, compared to $1.52 billion at the end of last year's third quarter. Through nine months, cash provided by operating activities from continuing operations was $1.17 billion, compared to $561.3 million in the year-ago period,

We are probably OK for a bit longer yet! ;)

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2010 21:02 

Current ride: X1 2001
lend us a tenner then lOl

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2010 21:12 

Ash wrote:
1940's designs at 2010 prices ... Nah!

...fairly sure that they never had six speed gearboxes, ABS, sequential fuel injection, self cancelling indicators, active (eXup style) intake and output exhausts linked to road speed, throttle setting, gear selected, altitude and fuel grade, counter rotating balancer shafts, isolated engine mounts, triple disc brakes, air suspension, cruise control, CD player, AM/FM, Rider and Passenger intercom, Gear position indicators, fuel guages, clocks etc etc in 1940!

Unlike the Japanese who bring out a GSXR1000K10 which looks different to a GSXR1000K9 we dont immediately devalue a perfectly good K9 and make its owner feel humilated because all his mates take the xxxx out of him or her for not having the latest K10 with the latest power reduction switch cos they cant handle half of the power it produces.

Our way, customers bikes are worth more as our owners keep them in top condition....and apart from the licence plate, many cannot distinguish bewteen a 5 year old bike and a new one.

This site has many owners who in an S1 or X1 have blown the much more powerful bikes into the weeds. When people look at the fact that our bikes arent new-we pity them because we arent into talking a good game- we are into doing the business on the road!

I'll stick Adam on his 1125R in the welsh foothills against them all! 8-)

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2010 21:13 

Nutah wrote:
lend us a tenner then lOl

:D :D :D :D

PostPosted: 10 Nov 2010 21:39 

1203 wrote:

Yeah but.......no but....., this man would make me stand on the naughty step lOl lOl

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2010 01:38 
has it got a pulse?

Current ride: FUBAR...Enough said!
1203 wrote:
...fairly sure that they never had six speed gearboxes, ABS, sequential fuel injection, self cancelling indicators, active (eXup style) intake and output exhausts linked to road speed, throttle setting, gear selected, altitude and fuel grade, counter rotating balancer shafts, isolated engine mounts,

That is a whole load of technology to try and disguise an outdated design :!:
1203 wrote:

Aah yes, the Rotax'd Buell-the Modern Buell HD couldn't build

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ;)

You only need two bikes in life-an S1 and a Multistrada!

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2010 08:04 

1203 wrote:
many cannot distinguish bewteen a 5 year old bike and a new one.
Aha - I'll bet they all need glasses - I know I do.

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2010 12:19 

Current ride: XB9SX
Being dispassionate about it......(well not actually lOl )......if I get any grief over spares and I cannot keep my Buell supplied with genuine bits for at least another 5 years, I will probably 'throw my toys out the pram' lOl and go elsewhere. :shock:

This would eventually end with me buying another main bike like a Triumph Thunderbird 1700 or Victory Hammer ( I will have mellowed enough by then 8-) ) and telling everyone I meet to do the same! ;)

PostPosted: 11 Nov 2010 12:32 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
I think we all appreciate the responses that 1203 has given, and although he takes it well, beating him up about HDs is diverging from the original topic of this post.

To go back to Maz's question, if a skip were to be used for offloading obsolete kit, why can't it be offered to UKBEG? I am with you that taxes will need to be paid, but if the kit is written off anyway the value can be considered low.

From an environmental point of view, skipping this kit is putting a load on recycling or landfill, especially if, in the future, replacement parts, that have been skipped and are unavailable, have to be remade. Of course, with parts being unavailable that maybe could have been, it may mean bikes are scrapped off earlier than they would have been. More load on recycling or landfill.

So, the question comes again, if parts were to be scrapped off for their weight in mixed metals, what process could be put in place to enable UKBEG to purchase these parts at the scrapping cost?

Happy to discuss and even lead the activity...

Cheers

Nick

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 614 Next