It is currently 19 Apr 2024 03:23

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: ACF-50
PostPosted: 30 Sep 2010 16:11 
I have just bought some of this to use on the HT leads/coil etc to see if it stops moisture getting into the electrics on damp days. Dont know yet if it works but we will see.

Better than WD-40 type stuff. Thicker, dont smell bad, can be used to clean off things like Tar spots, works great on alloy/steel fittings and nice to use. Just a wipe over the bike brings it up like new.

One thing I like, as stated on the can, is that you can build layers of protection by "over wiping" an area as needed. This is something you cant do with WD-40 type stuff and is a very clever idea.

I have used many things like this in the past and I would say this is very good. Not cheap but then again its a aviation/forces grade product and they have never been cheap.

Post subject: Re: ACF-50
PostPosted: 30 Sep 2010 16:46 

I use ACF 50 on my rifles that I don't use much. The ACF grease is good stuff too. You can usually blag a small tube at shows etc.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2010 19:35 
I used to use it when i had the Dyna, great stuff, it kept the crappy american chrome good

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2010 22:27 

ACF 50 CORROSION BLOCK GREASE
Is probably the best grease I have used.Non conductive,doesn't wash out,harden or dry out.A very good anti seize product,that goes on axles and fixings without any issues.Have been using it on my Uly for three years and really rate it.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2010 22:38 

Current ride: S1wl IronhorseSunday
Somebody was telling me about an aviation industry spray that protects against corrosion is this the same stuff and can you spray it on the engine and bits that get hot, sick of white alli mould due to the damp climate at the mo and the resultant endless polishing. ( I know to mask off your disks and pads) :roll:

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2010 23:15 

Current ride: S1wl IronhorseSunday
second stupid question
As you know I have a pretty shiny bike. whilst this stuff is obviously good for corrosion prevention does it act as a shite /fine dust magnet and dull the shine on polished parts. Or does it have a teflon type property. always used GT85 on my mtbs coz it means the mud hoses off dead easy but that stuff was no good on the buell and it stinks.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2010 20:27 
restone wrote:
second stupid question
As you know I have a pretty shiny bike. whilst this stuff is obviously good for corrosion prevention does it act as a shite /fine dust magnet and dull the shine on polished parts.

I was not trying to clean the bike but just a wipe over took off most of the dirt and tar very well. No sticky finish on paint, plastics, alloy/steels and leaves a shine on surfaces/look great. Should be fine on Chrome as well. Seems to be quite an inert product a well.

I would say that ACF-50 is silicon based but with some sort of oil/grease added and that is how it can be "built up" on a surface. Unlike a WD-40 or "cockpit shine" type product.

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2010 21:21 
The bike has been standing outside (no cover) in the rain, damp and cold for three days now.

The bike would always start from cold fine but was always a little lumpy, sometimes worse than others, to start with until it had warmed up a bit. I have just started the bike and it idles, from stone cold, with no lumpyness at all and it revs clean as well IE no missing of revs through the range. Something you dont need with a V-Twin.

It sounds to me like damp is getting to the coil, caps and/or leads or maybe condensation once the bike is parked up. Both of which is something that I have suspected for sometime now. It could be the quality of the HT system, as it does not take much for it to start breaking down, and/or because the leads are so close to the frame (Earth). Who knows lOl.

The last time I needed to do this sort of thing was in about 1976. It was a case of having to then but in this "day and age" its a very poor situation. But "hey-ho" its a Buell and I should not take anything, even basic stuff, for granted :roll:.

Anyway it seems to work and its a cheap/easy enough thing to do.