Well, I'm still working on the Triumph, but I need to get rear mudguard sorted and the tank I want to use, before I can remove the rear wheel. I'll need to weld some lugs on the frame before powder coating, then I can remove the wheel and get a new rim for the rear and some stainless spokes.
I made a table out of pallets and stripped the gearbox.
It's pretty straight forward to work on, once I realised that the "mate" I lent my puller to 15 years ago, hadn't given it back and bought a new one.
I refitted the clutch hub to loosen the mainshaft nut, then it comes apart easily.
The internal components are all in good nick, as I rebuilt it 20 years ago and never rode it, so I'll just replace the bearings and seals.
I could have just bead blasted the case and polished the outers, but I didn't like the casting marks on the case, so decided to "de-seam" it, prior to blasting.
I started with a bunch of files and blended the casting marks out.
Some took more time than others.........
Once I'd had enough of filing, I got out some 80 grit paper.
..........Followed by some 240, then 400 grit wet and dry.
Finally, I took it to work and got a bit of heat into it in the pedestal drill with my £5 mop and bar of blue soap. I wasn't going to polish it, I was just cleaning it up for blasting, but I was just curious to see how it would look. I've still got some more to do to it, but I can't find my Die files to get into the webs.
It's taken me 8 hours to get this far, but it's better than the telly.