It is currently 20 Apr 2024 10:05

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1154 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 1077 Next
PostPosted: 10 Oct 2010 08:05 

mojomick wrote:
It's taken me 8 hours to get this far, but it's better than the telly. ;)
You polished the telly?

When you're done - I've a Guzzi here you can do.!

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2010 16:38 

mojomick wrote:

Nice work Mister! :yup:

I've been riding my Shovel for the last couple of days but its now apparent that it needs some TLC. Multiple issues wrong with it such as mayor oil leak(s) on the gearbox and primary, clutch slipping, carb clogged or ignition hesitating (not sure), front plug oiling up.... and and and ... I think its time to finish my new shed and then to pull the fucker apart! :handbag:

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2010 18:21 
That beard looks familiar

Mick, you can borrow my old Ariel girder forks if you want to copy them, might be easier than pic's. they still have the handlebar clamps on. :bandit:

DG 21 :-)

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2010 21:04 
Milf Hunter

Current ride: '98 S1
Toyboy1584 wrote:
Mick, you can borrow my old Ariel girder forks if you want to copy them, might be easier than pic's. they still have the handlebar clamps on. :bandit:

Cheers Dave, I may take you up on that, if I get stuck. Do I have to pick the Runner Beans first? lOl

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2010 21:07 

Current ride: X1 2001
they should polish up OK, eh Dave ;)

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2010 21:08 
Milf Hunter

mich wrote:
mojomick wrote:

I've been riding my Shovel for the last couple of days but its now apparent that it needs some TLC. Multiple issues wrong with it such as mayor oil leak(s) on the gearbox and primary, clutch slipping, carb clogged or ignition hesitating (not sure), front plug oiling up.... and and and ... I think its time to finish my new shed and then to pull the fucker apart! :handbag:

Mich, if you need any gaskets etc., I'm off to Norfolk (Va.) tomorrow morning. Let me know and I'll pop them in my suitcase. :yup:

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2010 09:24 

Feck, I didn't see this message until now! :shock:

I could do with a gearbox gasket kit for a 1980 5 speed (rubber mounted) and a gasket kit for the primary (Inner and outer gaskets and seals). And a whole engine gasket kit would be good as well. I need to pull the heads of this thing and have a good look at them. And a set of piston rings if you can find some, but I have no idea yet what size the pistons are. Does it matter or are the rings all the same size?

Thanking you ever SOOOO much!! :yup: 8-)

mojomick wrote:
mich wrote:
mojomick wrote:

Mich, if you need any gaskets etc., I'm off to Norfolk (Va.) tomorrow morning. Let me know and I'll pop them in my suitcase. :yup:

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2010 10:40 

Quote:- Feck, I didn't see this message until now!

And a set of piston rings if you can find some, but I have no idea yet what size the pistons are. Does it matter or are the rings all the same size?

If you dont know that answer you should leave it well alone, and take it to someone that does :roll: :bandit:

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2010 10:59 
Milf Hunter

Mich, you really need to measure your bores to see what you've got. Then you need to decide if they are serviceable with just a new set of rings or whether you need to get them re-bored to the next oversize (assuming they are not already maxed out).
Rings have to match piston / bore size and be "gapped" correctly.

I'll see what I can do with the gaskets after work today. :yup:

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2010 11:14 

Toyboy1584 wrote:
If you dont know that answer you should leave it well alone, and take it to someone that does :roll: :bandit:

ToyBoy, you jumped the gun there with your comment. Just because I don't know this particular thing doesn't mean that I don't know my way around an engine. I've just never changed the rings by themselves and always bought pistons with rings, hence the question...

Shouldn't you be weeding the girder frontend or something instead of posting snippy comments to upset your German compatriot? :twisted:

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2010 11:15 

mojomick wrote:
Mich, you really need to measure your bores to see what you've got. Then you need to decide if they are serviceable with just a new set of rings or whether you need to get them re-bored to the next oversize (assuming they are not already maxed out).
Rings have to match piston / bore size and be "gapped" correctly.

I'll see what I can do with the gaskets after work today. :yup:

You're the man!! :yup: No worries about the rings, I'll have a look at the pistons first. I only brought that up cause somebody threw that comment at me on JJ, advising that I should change the rings. I didn't even do nuffink to the engine yet... yyeah but no but...

And have fun in the US, hope its a bit warmer over there! :ill:

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2010 16:09 

Here's mine. Not moved on for 12 months, need to find time to get on it.

Mojo your wasting your time, you're far to old for a hardtail :D

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2010 16:23 

mich wrote:
Toyboy1584 wrote:

ToyBoy, you jumped the gun there with your comment. Just because I don't know this particular thing doesn't mean that I don't know my way around an engine. I've just never changed the rings by themselves and always bought pistons with rings, hence the question...

You might be able to take one apart, but by your comment, " are all rings the same", you obviously do not know much about engines,
Rings come in Std, and any thing from 10-60 thou oversizes depending on manufacturer, you will then need the bores honed to fit any new pistons,
Plenty of Shovel parts here and they arn't expensive.
I have a few left over if you need any, let me know which.
Some gasket sets will include gaskets for the Pan/Shovel also.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2010 16:29 

Mich, in the past I've used oversize rings and after gapping them, they've worked ok in undersize bores. Use the piston to get them 'square' before measuring at several points in the bore since it doesn't wear evenly. Obviously not ideal but on very old, obsolete motors, you sometimes have no choice. Should be plenty of places that stock rings for a Shovel though.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2010 17:17 

Many thanks for the advice chaps. I'll report back once I've actually pulled the thing apart. The pistons/cylinders might actually still be alright, so we'll see what happens. Gotta finish my shed first before I can take apart this engine! :headbang:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1154 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 1077 Next