It is currently 28 Mar 2024 11:52

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: 04 Jun 2009 18:46 
Ash wrote:
Gazza wrote:
Seems my post has mysteriously disappreared again. Can't be arsed to write is all over again suffice to say under Jn.1 M27, double roundabout, great curves, good confidence builder.

Thats the one I crashed and fractured my spine on ..

Err :uhoh:

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2009 21:47 
Haven't read through the whole thread, Ash, so apologies if this is repeating what others have said, but the summer of 2005 transformed my riding. I spent a day getting one-on-one cornering advice with a police instructor which helped hugely, and then took the plunge and did a track-day (the opportunity to do a corner 50 times in a day is unbelievably helpful). Of course, the dozen or so track-days since have helped too...

The other thing that helped me was finding a good twisty route and riding it over and over. Thank God for the roads of northern Essex - Finchingfield rocks! (I always reckoned I could beat Ducatiman on some of those roads... :( )

Just keep piling on the miles, Ash.

Al

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2009 22:02 

I'm with what iwoo9 said - get in touch with the IAM, try their website www.iam.org.uk - they should be able to give you a local group. I'm training to be an observer and the senior bods we have shift when they want too- it's hilarious :lol: watching the litre bike boys tying themselves in knots trying to keep up with the Pans/Varaderos. There shouldn't be any pressure on you and several of the guys I know who I reckoned were heading for big moments :shock: have really improved in both confidence and skill. I would recommend my group in Dumfries but we are too far away!!

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2009 17:27 

Norm wrote:
retromlc wrote:
Lucky says ride at the front,sorry but i would disagree with that...

I wouldn't. When I lead a group, I seldom get over 75mph but the guys at the back frequently get well into 3 figures to close the distance caused by roundabouts, traffic lights, overtaking opportunities etc.

:yt: ;)

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2009 17:38 
has it got a pulse?

Current ride: FUBAR...Enough said!
Perhaps thats why I like going tail end charlie :!: :twisted: :lol:

You only need two bikes in life-an S1 and a Multistrada!

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2009 17:45 

Trouble is IAM guys seem to have been told by the plod to stick to all the speed limits now. So the bike safe and assessment rides are fecking boring.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2009 18:06 

Current ride: CB1300, Z750, R1200
One of the mates I'm riding with quite often is a driving instructor and usually he's guiding. I think it's quite helpfull just following experienced riders, as they often choose a good line.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2009 18:35 
has it got a pulse?

Current ride: FUBAR...Enough said!
I think that is a very fair and true statement Gunter

You only need two bikes in life-an S1 and a Multistrada!

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2009 19:21 

A lot of stuff has been covered, and I've not been riding long (and already crashed it) to give too much advice.

Two things:

1) Follow other bikes, people you don't know. You've got no idea if they are 'good' or 'bad' riders. Just sit behind them and follow their lines/speed/braking. Ignore whatever kind of bike they are on. If they make it safe through the corner then you will too. If they are going at a rate that makes you uncomfortable then just resume your normal speed and they will head off at their pace. Since you don't know them there's no embarrasment. Plus you might get talking to them at a stopping place. One of the best rides I had was last May, me and the girlfrined took a long run all round the Scottish borders on the sunny may-day holiday. In the afternoon, coming up a big A road north out of Dumfries, we met a guy on a Pan. I'd just done the Bikesafe thing so had 'lines' going through my mind. I followed him for a while - not going crazy on the straights and just keeping the speed through the corners, then I overtook and he followed me for a bit. We swapped over a few times, then waved goodbye and took another road. No idea who the guy was, but I think we both had the same attitude.

2) Find a section of road and try and go down there a couple of times a week. There's a 10 mile section of road here that goes along the coast from Musselburgh to Gullane, it's incredibly twisty with lots of bumps - really tests the bike's suspension! It has all sorts of corners, but the surface is good and no nasty decreasing radiuses, and lots of wide lanes. I try and get out there pretty regularly - i know the road now - and just try and keep, my speed up/improve it.

Craig

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2009 19:59 

Robin wrote:
Trouble is IAM guys seem to have been told by the plod to stick to all the speed limits now. So the bike safe and assessment rides are fecking boring.

That is the dictat from IAM house and if you ask any observer or examiner for the IAM that is the answer you will get, however if you are with the right person they will go for blast and at that point they can be very impressive. If you really want to learn I wouldn't be put off by the allegedly low speed: the skills taught transfer well to faster riding and you don't spend the rest of your life riding with your observer/examiner.

I

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2009 22:18 
Needs more cowbell

Current ride: None
Beef wrote:
Perhaps thats why I like going tail end charlie :!: :twisted: :lol:

I remember you getting me to follow you a few years ago and to ride the same lines as you did and it was very helpful and a great insite :)

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2009 22:26 

Ash wrote:
I remember you getting me to follow you a few years ago and to ride the same lines as you did and it was very helpful and a great insite :)

You can try the same with me - I'll meet you in the ditch :lol:

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2009 22:28 
Needs more cowbell

Current ride: None
:hehe: :oooops:

Just been watching the TT coverage and some riders are on standard trackday/road tyres ... and are going hell for leather with them ... im watching and in awe!

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2009 23:04 

Ash wrote:
:hehe: :oooops:

Just been watching the TT coverage and some riders are on standard trackday/road tyres ... and are going hell for leather with them ... im watching and in awe!

Not just you Ash, I was massively impressed as well 8-)

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2009 04:29 

Current ride: xb15r
Ash,
I agree with everything you said. I have the same problem every year a few weeks of riding crap (like writing left handed)...but never feeling that confident

I've been on the Buell experience days every year for the past 4 years (cadwell previous years, mallory this year in July).

1. it's a good day out.
2. I always come away from the session with a better understanding of what buells are capbale of cornering wise. As somebody said earlier...just going around the same piece of track 50 times really helps

My two penneth if it helps you

Trev

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next