It is currently 20 Apr 2024 14:54

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: 03 Jun 2009 11:50 
Ash wrote:
Digger, your link looks great, I will look at that more closely.

Nice folks, too. I've done two days with them at Cadwell, it's NOT a trackday, you'll gain shedloads of valuable confidence from them 8-)

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2009 12:17 
Lucky says ride at the front,sorry but i would disagree with that,you will feel the pressure to keep the pace high and worry that you are ruining their experience as you already think you are delaying them,I alway rode at the back,that way you can get an advanced warning as you can interpret whats way in front by the way your mates are reacting in front,e.g realizing your going into a decreasing radius turn as you see your mate go barrelling in then all hit the brakes trying to scrub speed,they have just given you 100 meters to react sooner,just a thought.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2009 12:20 
Everything everyone else has said....

Relax your head, relax your arms, relax your shoulders, relax your fingers and have a relaxing ride..... :)

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2009 12:33 

retromlc wrote:
Lucky says ride at the front,sorry but i would disagree with that...

I wouldn't. When I lead a group, I seldom get over 75mph but the guys at the back frequently get well into 3 figures to close the distance caused by roundabouts, traffic lights, overtaking opportunities etc.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2009 12:47 
Norm wrote:
retromlc wrote:
Lucky says ride at the front,sorry but i would disagree with that...

I wouldn't. When I lead a group, I seldom get over 75mph but the guys at the back frequently get well into 3 figures to close the distance caused by roundabouts, traffic lights, overtaking opportunities etc.

I'm with retromic. No need for the added pressure, ride at the back the others will wait.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2009 14:02 
I'd have to agree with the ride at the front theory, and forget about the others experience, they can make their own fun. The only prob my mrs has when she's in front is navigation! She rides to her abilities and to what the bike can do, it gets a little boring for me sometimes but I just have to be patient!

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2009 14:34 

Afternoon Ash,

I wish you were a bit nearer here so we could go for a ride and see if I can help. You've had a huge dollop of advice here and it's all good. As a Senior Qualified Observer with the IAM in a former life I'd commend getting in touch with the local IAM bike group. TVAM used to be very big and very active darn sarff. My step-father was instrumental in setting up the Solent Advanced Motrocyclists http://www.solent-advanced-motorcyclists.co.uk which might be nearer to you. The IAM can be a sententious bunch of prats but they do a lot of good work and have a lot of talented riders who do the training. If you don't like the person who you are offered first as an observer ask for another one. Most groups have a number of observers and will try to put like minded souls together.

From what you are saying you have got into a downward spiral of loss of confidence leading to excess tension leading to the bike feeling crap leading to a loss of confidence...

Been there, done that. I fell off when I encountered a patch of gravel on a corner in Scotland in 2005. It has taken me a long time to get my confidence back.

First: forget speed. Ignore it totally. It doesn't matter. What you need to do is go through corners at a speed you're comfortable with.

Second: forget what everybody else is doing. It doesn't matter. If you are riding in a group then it's a group ride and not a blast or a race. Faster riders should be able to ride at any pace and, if they are good mates, they should be able to ride at a speed that makes you feel comfortable and not scare the shit out of you.

Third: approach a corner at a speed which allows you to see and read the corner in plenty of time to set your bike up correctly. Slow in fast out every time. Always ride at a speed that allows you to stop safely on your own side of the road.

Fourth: as part of the assessment look for entry, apex and exit points. Moving your position on the road will help you to see more of a bend i.e. start near the lh curb for rh bends and vica versa. Once you can see your entry, apex and exit points link them with the smoothest, gentlest curve possible.

Fifth: having assessed the bend look where you want to be, the exit of the bend or if it's a tight bend the limit point. i.e. where the two curbs seem to meet. If you look just in front of the bike you will 50p piece the corner as the bike will change direction everytime you change where you're looking.

Sixth: as you will be riding slow in and fast out keep a gentle positive throttle going round the corner. Cornering takes energy from the bike. If you coasted round a flat corner you would slow down therefore you need to add some energy to the bike and push it round.

If you feel out of control entering a corner you are possibly going too fast FOR YOU ON THAT DAY. Try a gear down for the next corner to give you more engine breaking and more throttle flexibility.

You said at the start that you weren't feeling 100% when you went out. That probably didn't help. If you are tired or ill you will tend not to look far enough ahead to ride smoothly unless you really make an effort.

In short; start by riding slowly but smoothly. Once you feel comfortable increase the pace gently but don't stress about it.

I hope that helps. If you really want bring the family to Scarborough and I'd gladly spend some time with you if it would help.

I

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2009 15:13 

:yt: :potm:

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2009 15:13 

For what it is worth it took me the best part of 18 months to get used to riding my XB.
I used to be fast and safe with no worries doing in excess of 20k a year on all sorts of big bike the last one was a BMW1150gs fully loaded. never felt scared and regularly got the stick out bits down.

Then I bought the Buell and within a week I dropped it. those of you that have met me will see the evidence in the form of duck tape on my knees! Nothing nasty but the front end went. my fault but boy did that knock my confidence. what I have found is sometimes I over think a bend and then fuck it up. the best days are when I don't think to hard and relax and then i can react to any situation and just ride. I have to say the XB is not the easiest bike to relax into.
I think if you are nervous it is harder to get it right so forget every other bugger, relax and "it" will come what ever "it" is. :yup:

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2009 17:58 

Current ride: BMW F900 XR
I can whole-heartedly recommend these guys, http://www.i2imca.com

Teaches a whole load of a stuff, suitable for any rider at whatever level they are. Covers bike skills and the head stuff. Most of the northern IAM groups would recommend a visit, especially as it covers stuff that the IAM cannot.

If it all sounds vague, you have to take the plunge to find out.

And I can fully empathise with the theme of this thread. Am just coming back out of the doldrums and am at ease with my own pace of riding.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2009 18:24 

Hmmmmm :? its all down to confidence in your self and the bike together.. and you wont gain any of it if you dont at least take steps to try :!: if you have that fear before you even get on it its no wonder youre such a bag of nerves when riding.. such a shamne when riding with confidence is so much fun.. it may sound a bit naff but the only way to overcome what ever fear is to face it head on.. so in your case just keep taking the corners. again and again and again time after time after time. increasing your speed gradually when you feel comfortable to do so..find your line and do it again and again.. and do the same few corners to practice.. you will speed up.. oh and dont ride at the front!! the back is by far the best way to learn.. you can see every ones mistakes and also the correct and easiest way to ride and you dont have to worry if your slowing them down or not.. i wish you all the best.. col

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2009 19:17 

Ash, this is meant as a serious point, are you actually breathing as you corner? It's very common when you're a bit gripped (like when climbing on loose rock and you know you could be in for a big fall) to hold it in. That really doesn't help you with confidence. It's just another distraction :?

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2009 19:19 
Have you tried doing THIS to help improve your balance?

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2009 20:13 

Current ride: push
Ash, pick up one of Image and find some twisties you are familiar with. it'll enhance your cornering abilities without the need for excessive speed.

and most importantly.....RELAX!!!!

agree with buellin ben: iwoo9 :potm:

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2009 20:28 
Needs more cowbell

Current ride: None
Adam wrote:
Ash, this is meant as a serious point, are you actually breathing as you corner? It's very common when you're a bit gripped (like when climbing on loose rock and you know you could be in for a big fall) to hold it in. That really doesn't help you with confidence. It's just another distraction :?

Im not entirely sure both eyes are even open :oooops:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next