It is currently 25 Apr 2024 22:22

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Cracking Up
PostPosted: 23 Aug 2010 23:58 

Current ride: XB9SX
Hiya,

I have a 'hero blue' City X, an 06 bike (reg'd 07), which has the translucent airbox cover and screen. The screen is beginning to crack, radiating out from the fixing holes as you might expect. The airbox cover has a a larger series of cracks radiating out from the front left fixing hole and at the right side seems to be sort of delaminating. I had a previous minor incident on the left hand side.
I did a search and it seems that the translucent plastic may be a little weaker than the self coloured plastics.
I've done 20, 000 miles now and enjoy the bike, I know this is only really a cosmetic issue. I was just wondering if anyone had ever had any sucess fixing these plastics or will I just have to bite the bullet and buy new ones? I was thinking of getting plain white covers and getting them sprayed up.

Thanks
Ian

Post subject: Re: Cracking Up
PostPosted: 24 Aug 2010 18:15 

Current ride: X1 2001
i would think the translucent plastics are more brittle ? like perspex perhaps
also petrol can stain the translucent plastics too.
the coloured plastics seem a bit more hard wearing :yup:

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2010 20:35 
The Nagged Hubby

Happened on mine! My fix was to cut some canvass triangles and epoxy them to the forward holes on the inside then I added some more epoxy glue over the stuck canvass. I had to drill out the holes again.

It worked and stopped the cracks progressing. The new laminate strengthened the corners a treat.

Nate.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2010 20:53 

Current ride: XB9SX
Like the ideas Nate. My screen has a small crack from one hole which will not show as long as I don't let it get any bigger! :?

Airbox cover cracked up big time on three of its fixings at around 15 months from new, which Riders replaced under warranty. I think the tank bag fixings did that one, so I don't use the bag now. Planned to make some isolation fixings so that the straps don't press onto plastics (one day :roll: ).