It is currently 19 Apr 2024 19:15

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Lubricating Drive Belt
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009 10:53 

The belt on my lad's XB9R snapped at the weekend (2003 model with 10K on the clock). The belt appeared to have small cracks over the back surface. He was told that it is a good idea to lubricate the belts by applying a silicone based lubricant to keep them supple. He was advised that KY jelly is a good one to use (I laughed and said 'what's the point, the belts already f*ck*d!) I thought it was funny :lol: Is there any truth in this advice (not the KY jelly), but the fact of lubricating a belt :?:

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009 11:14 
Norm...............fill your boots :D

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009 15:15 

EdwardH wrote:
The belt on my lad's XB9R snapped at the weekend (2003 model with 10K on the clock). The belt appeared to have small cracks over the back surface. He was told that it is a good idea to lubricate the belts by applying a silicone based lubricant to keep them supple. He was advised that KY jelly is a good one to use (I laughed and said 'what's the point, the belts already f*ck*d!) I thought it was funny :lol: Is there any truth in this advice (not the KY jelly), but the fact of lubricating a belt :?:

Out of interest, who gave this advice?

Any 'sticky' lube would encourage road dirt to quickly turn to a grinding paste ;)

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009 16:31 
The Nagged Hubby

Adam wrote:
EdwardH wrote:

Any 'sticky' lube would encourage road dirt to quickly turn to a grinding paste ;)

+1 :roll:

Nate.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009 17:29 
Nate wrote:
Adam wrote:
EdwardH wrote:

+1 :roll:

Nate.

+2 :arrow: rapid pully wear and lots of small cuts in the belt surface for yet more dirt to bury itself into......and ky is water based! :rofl:

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2009 18:44 

He read it on some American V Twin forum.....nuff said eh :rofl: Appears it was a stone that fecked the belt. Still tucked in the cover when it was replaced.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2009 09:05 

Current ride: Mojo
Has he got an fs tensioner fitted?

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2009 14:09 

No he hasn't Lucky. His belt guards are the original Buell fitments, whereas mine on the XB12R have been replaced and are much more open. Is that a good or bad thing as regards debris getting into the belt covers :?:

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2009 15:03 

Current ride: Mojo
An FS tensioner is meant to extend the life of the belt and also to give the belt a chance if a stone gets caught in it. Obviously not as much fun as using KY jelly.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2009 15:06 

I thought the belt guards were to prevent your trousers (whatever) getting snagged, not to prevent stone ingress. I was about to ditch mine altogether for a more stripped down look (belt guards not trousers) :roll:

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2009 20:57 

Current ride: 2000 M2
deep heat or prep h is better than ky.
but no do not put anything on your belt apart from wear 8-)

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2009 22:07 
What if it sqeeks like hell?
Pete

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2009 22:10 

Current ride: 2000 M2
keeper of stumpy wrote:
What if it sqeeks like hell?
Pete
change the belt :o sorry.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2009 23:05 

how about sun cream to stop the UV deterioration?