It is currently 29 Mar 2024 13:40

All times are UTC

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2010 11:27 

Hi people.

Got an xb12 fitted with a Remus can and at regular intervals the mounting lugs for the belly fairing keep breaking. The original owner had the can fitted from new by Fred Warrs at Mottingham.

I noticed one was broken when I first got the bike home, and now this will be the third time in six months that I've had to remove the exhaust for a repair!!

Has anyone else had similar problems? (I saw an xb12 at Tilbury Fort a month ago and noticed they had one broken but couldn't find the owner for a chat).

Do the cans come from Remus with the lugs already attached or are they fitted by the HD dealer?

Any bright ideas would be welcome, but failing that just a "there there" and a shoulder to cry on would be nice..

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2010 13:04 

I've posted many times that, imnsho, Remus employ Stevie Wonder to do their welding. After a personal poor experience with a pipe on my 1125, I won't go near them again :x

PostPosted: 01 Aug 2010 18:25 

Cheers Adam, though on mine it's the actual metal of the bracket that's breaking rather than the weld.
The latest one is the front bracket and that's been repaired once already! I'm thinking of just leaving that bracket off and seeing if I get away with it...

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2010 10:35 

It would be quite unusual for the brackets to break on an XB Remus exhaust. We have sold them for nearly 10 years and have had very very few warranty claims on these pipes for any reason, and none for broken brackets.

If it is something that keeps happening then it could be a vibration problem somewhere on the bike that is causing it rather than the exhaust itself (I once went through 3 exhaust link pipes on my old S3 before they found the problem was a hugely out of balance crank causing vibration that was breaking components all over the shop!).
Check to make sure that it correctly fitted and that the exhaust has no movement in it. Also that the chin spoiler is fitted tightly . Just because it was fitted at a dealer doesn't mean it was fitted properly :(

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2010 17:46 

Thanks Trojan (I bought a Ventura rack off you recently, spot on by the way!)
The bike doesn't vibrate at all apart from at tickover, so I don't think the problem is there. And the fairing was definitley fitted good and tight.

The first weld to break was the right rear. It actually came away in a big lump, leaving a hole in the exhaust. Next was the right forward, that came away too but didn't leave a hole (this was the same as the bike I saw at Tilbury fort), then finally the whole front bracket broke off, but as I earlier wrote, this actually appears to be the metal fracturing.

A friend of mine with a lot of experiece in such things repaired the first two (though the RH front was later to break again - it's in a very inaccessible spot) and he also beefed up the welds on the LH lug, saying someone hadn't done a very good job in the first place(lack of penetration apparently).

Another friend (Ive got knowledgable friends!) suggested that stainless steel wasn't a very good idea, especially for the front bracket, as the constant heating up and cooling down would tend to work-harden it and make it brittle.

I'm still planning to put a couple of nut and bolts through the front of the fairing to help hold it together then see how it goes without the front bracket. Failing that I'll get a bracket fabricated out of thicker stuff

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2010 18:55 

tailgunner wrote:
......saying someone hadn't done a very good job in the first place(lack of penetration apparently).

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2010 21:34 
Is it a 08 plus bike.

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2010 21:45 

No it's an 07

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2010 11:14 

Please can you send me photrographs of the broken brackets, and if you have the date it was originally bought I'll contact Remus and see if they can do anything for you. The Remus warranty isn't transferable unfortunately so if it was on the bike when you bought it then it isn't covered, but I'll' ask if they can do anything for you.
Send pictures to me at sales@adrenalinmoto.co.uk

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2010 21:43 

Thanks Trojan I will.
I'm off on Hols for a couple of weeks from tomorrow so you might have to bear with me...

I understand that Remus probably won't be able to do much (infact i wouldn't expect them to!) but it may be of some help to both you and them...

I'm not much of a photographer either so apologies in advance!!

Right, Dorset here I come...