It is currently 18 Apr 2024 02:35

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2010 12:58 
I know this has been done to death but it's been a journey. I'm not seeking a new "How To" but need to confirm whether the following symptoms are common to my model and year cause so far I've had conflicting answers from people!

My bike is now 100% standard, running unleaded 95ron supermarket fuel. Most of the 5000miles I've run on super unleaded supermarket fuels. I read on twinmotorcycles website that you need to to a TPS reset before you ride to overcome poor running. Recently I have been doing this and have had no idle problems.

I appreciate most people here run the pre 2007 models and therefore probably don't get my symptoms so I'm only asking owners of the newer models of the XBs for their feedback!

Do you ever get these symptoms?

1. Occasional running problems when hot?
2. When hot, does your bike idle erratically for a short time sometimes, after a shortish stop to the point it can or does cut out? IE it does not idle constantly at 1050rpm?
2. When hot (stuck in traffic for example) do you notice a drop performance?
3. Do you notice a flatspot at 4000rpm?

A reply or pm will be fine, thank you.
Paul

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2010 13:37 
Points 1 and 2 absolutely,

I did a TPS reset and it has helped, I didn't know you had to do it everytime.

I got the funky idle with splutter to almost stalling after riding 3 miles (in this new hot weather) then parking up for 10 mins then starting her up again hot.

I think grillphilbuell reckoned it might be something to so with a specific temperature sensor placing being tricked into incorrect readings/ECU response. It sounds about right, but why qwould TPS reset help? I'm have no clue about the system so cannot comment.

Jon from Black Bear posted that the '10 firmware or ECU update improves lots of things (but adds annoying fan control), I wonder if that could help?

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2010 14:19 
Thanks sk1d00

Twinmotorcycles says the follwoing

"Stage 1 Buell XB12 2008-2010 ECM €550,00 - Add to cart
When you already have a Exhaust (we hope you buy our Torque Hammer for the Buell XB 9-12) and K&N Air filter for your Buell XB12 2008-2009-2010 model, and you only want too have a good running Bike, Buy this ECM with our fuel and ignition map inside. I tested this ECM with all the big exhaust manufacturers, and with all size of headers on it in our dyno room, before we released this product. It makes your bike run so smooth and strong. I made a new ignition and fuel map for this setup and tested it on more the 15 bikes now and more then 9 different exhaust manufactures. And I can only say, when you love your Buell take care of the Fuel. This product is a complete ECM reprogrammed for all Buell XB12 2008-2010 and later models. Just change it with your original one, reset TPS by opening throttle 3 times, and go for it. You need to reset the TPS every time before you start the bike (You also need to do that with a stock ECM to prevent a bad running bike"

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2010 15:03 
I spoke to George at Blackbear about that ECU upgrade. He says they do the upgrade by default for all their bikes and recommends it. The fan does run but apparently only on the low speed. I have my reservations about fan on all the time, when my bike runs hot and the fan kicks off it's quite noisy and blows hot air on my legs!

My bike is having a 5000 miles service today and I have enquired about this ECU upgrade!

I've just notice my mistake. There are two points named 2 on my original post! :roll:

You didn't mentioned anything about a 4000K flatspot & no drop in performance when it runs really hot, especially on a hot day?

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2010 16:52 
Hi PH. Sorry to see that you still have a problem but lets try and pin this one down.

First. Dont worry about the 4K flat spot, power in traffic, the fuel you use and stick with the idle problem to start with. Work on the other stuff later once you sort the idle problem.

Second. Are you saying that if you do a TPS reset before each ride the idle is ok. Is it ok all the time IE Re starts, etc.

Third. From what I hear a lot of the 08 plus bikes have problems. The thing to do is cut out any possible probs you can. Which you have made a start doing. One thing, and costs nowt, is to run a new wire from the battery Neg to the point at which the loom Neg mounts to the frame. The reason for doing it is it makes sure you have a 100% good Earth for the ECM and cuts out another possible problem. I am not saying it is the problem but it sorted my bike and given it is a Buell the same fault could come up on even the later bikes.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2010 17:25 
THE FLYING DUCHMAN wrote:
Hi PH. Sorry to see that you still have a problem but lets try and pin this one down.

First. Dont worry about the 4K flat spot, power in traffic, the fuel you use and stick with the idle problem to start with. Work on the other stuff later.

Second. Are you saying that if you do a TPS reset before each ride the idle is ok. Is it ok all the time IE Re starts, etc.

Third. From what I hear a lot of the 08 plus bikes have problems. The thing to do is cut out any possible probs you can. Which you have made a start doing. One thing, and costs nowt, is to run a new wire from the battery Neg to the point at which the loom Neg mounts to the frame. The reason for doing it is it makes sure you have a 100% good Earth for the ECM.

Hi Mark!

Well what I have found was that starting the bike up from cold usually resulted in the bike stalling just as it starts up recently! I havn't had enough time to fully test this procedure but last 3/4 times of doing a TPS reset first thing in the morning resulted in 100% perfect idle. Now my idle problems have always been after a short stops but sometimes I had poor idle from cold. whether or not it has been because of the night before or because of the last ride before I don't know? Havn't had poor hot idle since either but it's early days? Once I've done a morning TPS before a ride I havn't needed to do it again on that journey..........................yet! Problem is it's not just one problem, it's intermittent with variations so it's hard to put the fault in a single box.

HD have just told me that they've found the 4K flat spot and want to investigate tomorrow - so no bike tonight!! Although they did say that the breather mod was effecting their readings. I forgot about the breather mod which means my bike is not 100% std after all :roll:

Yes I will have a look at adding a new wire from Battery to L/H earth point.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2010 19:04 
Question?? Having read this on the Special Ops website

The interactive exhaust valve is still operational in the 12 pipe which still helps give linear power and torque delivery.

I wonder if the interactive exhaust valve cable needs adjusting on my bike? I just fitted it and screwed it all together but did not adjustment to cable. If the valve is there to provide linear power and torque then maybe my cable is not adjusted correctly which could explain the 4K flatspot?

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2010 19:08 

Hi Paul
I've got a xb 12sx 2010 model i purchased brand new in Dec 09. She is completely standard and I have done approx 3000m on her. At her first service the dealer said the ECU was showing a fault so apparently they replaced it under warranty. I did not want them to as she ran great but they said they had to so as not to affect the warranty. The bike does not seem to run any different from before. It duffed a front plug up in the first couple of weeks ownership but nothing since. I put that down to the weather not being fit to ride a bike in!
I laugh when people say the 08 bikes onwards are shite and run bad. Mine never misses a beat . I do try to run it on decent fuel though because it goes better and I get that much more mileage from her that it is false economy .
By the way ,yes , the fan appears to be on all the time over 15 mph ,which is how I think they are designed to run. It doesn't bother me either way as long as her goes like holy hell!!
Hope this helps

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2010 19:14 
Well you can ask Maz but I thought the breather mod was not needed on 08 plus bikes. Some sort of valve has been fitted.

Your problem sounds, and always has, like some sort of electronic engine control issue. The mech part of the engine is very basic and cannot make any changes itself IE no carb so no Vac advance, etc so no worries on that one and Hall effect timing.

EFI is much better, IMO, than carbs but it has its own probs. The main one is that on bikes it has been much harder, over cars, to develop because a bike needs, as with carbs, a more precise fueling due to the nature of what a bike needs. This has been the reason it has taken near 10 years, from the start of its use, to being close to what is needed.

The can valve is, unlike a Yam, is not a power valve just a EU sound thing. Its why they dont have them on the 08 plus US bikes.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2010 21:39 
panfighter wrote:
Hi Paul
I've got a xb 12sx 2010 model i purchased brand new in Dec 09. She is completely standard and I have done approx 3000m on her. At her first service the dealer said the ECU was showing a fault so apparently they replaced it under warranty. I did not want them to as she ran great but they said they had to so as not to affect the warranty. The bike does not seem to run any different from before. It duffed a front plug up in the first couple of weeks ownership but nothing since. I put that down to the weather not being fit to ride a bike in!
I laugh when people say the 08 bikes onwards are shite and run bad. Mine never misses a beat . I do try to run it on decent fuel though because it goes better and I get that much more mileage from her that it is false economy .
By the way ,yes , the fan appears to be on all the time over 15 mph ,which is how I think they are designed to run. It doesn't bother me either way as long as her goes like holy hell!!
Hope this helps

Hi panfighter

Thats interesting, so you've had no problems! My bike def has the older ECU firmware cause my fan comes on when I stop unless the engine overheats then it comes on during my ride (which has been quite a bit lately). When fan comes on during my ride it's full power like it's trying to put a fire out or something and it's loud!!! Was told today that the speed of the fan running constantly is the slower speed it can output. I just don't know why ~@I didn't get this firmware upgrade when HD had my bikes for 9 weeks?? They def told me it had 4x ECU reflashes!

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2010 22:42 

Hi Paul
Whatever the weather ,even freezing temps ,the fan will come on over 15 mph whilst riding. Once I slow down under 15 the fan goes off unless I'm in town and the engine is getting hot anyway in which case it carries on running. You only tend to hear the fan on the overrun though.Once the motor is turned off the fan never comes on.I haven't done a breather mod or anything on it because it seems to go so well.Admittedly I will change or modify the pipe once funds allow because it does lack a bit of soul in the sound department!
By the way,my dealer had the bike for less than 2 hours.
Hope that doesn't piss you off too much!

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2010 23:11 

THE FLYING DUCHMAN wrote:
Well you can ask Maz but I thought the breather mod was not needed on 08 plus bikes. Some sort of valve has been fitted.

had my bike serviced by Maz today, 09 xbss, and breather mod is still something that can be done on 08 plus bikes. I'll be adding it at the next service.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2010 23:21 
ph4824 wrote:

Do you ever get these symptoms?

1. Occasional running problems when hot?
2. When hot, does your bike idle erratically for a short time sometimes, after a shortish stop to the point it can or does cut out? IE it does not idle constantly at 1050rpm?
2. When hot (stuck in traffic for example) do you notice a drop performance?
3. Do you notice a flatspot at 4000rpm?

1. When hot outside? Y'know, when the sun is shining? ;) Yes. Recent trip I had to regrettably spend some time on the M5. 20 minutes sat at 110mph was not only a bit of a struggle, but when I stopped that blasted fan ran for nearly 15 minutes. I purposefully haven't got the 5k recognised service because I don't want the constant fan thingy

2. Not really mate, no.

2 (again) no.

3. I did yes. Replaced with Remus can only and the flatspot vanished.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2010 23:30 
Thanks guys so far! Interesting how people are having different experiences! I posted my videos on youtube as some already know showing what I get (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2wsFp6kvzQ), and I got an email from someone who claimed to have same problem running std bike! I don't know what to believe? I want someone to ride my bike to see for themselves so it's not just me! Either way, finding the cause seems aloof if thats the right word?

Have been thinking of the idea of changing bike cause I'm fed up with it! Ducati seems interesting, maybe KTM? Funds don't alow at the moment! Thens there's always an S1W.

Here's another guy with kind of the same problem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB4gasNG ... re=related

Last edited by ph4824 on 03 Jun 2010 23:47, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2010 23:45 
borrow a loaner +08 xb12 for a few days and make a comparison? You can borrow mine after it comes back from the garage. And then gets the business from Maz.