It is currently 27 Apr 2024 04:21

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
 Post subject: Re: Broken XB Belt
PostPosted: 29 May 2009 23:23 

Current ride: Ducati Monster 950+
Aye - XB12Scg, FST fitted at 10k - belt failed at 12k. ;)

In the garage -

2001 X1
KTM390 Duke
Ducati 950 Monster +
CCM Spitfire Scrambler

PostPosted: 29 May 2009 23:30 

t965m wrote:
To be honest I didn't get into it - I pretty much accept that no matter what one 'expert' says another will say the opposite. You pay your money and take your chance. Hopefully it'll get fixed and we'll keep it going for another 2-3k, and with a bit of luck it'll be down to Maz for a 15k. Thats if he's still working on the XB type junk :lol:

My point was that dealers are not engineers and may not understand the issues involved in belt failure. Where do they get their opinions from and are they worth listening to? For all we know, they may just have made it up to stop the original set looking second rate. This may affect their sales :? Erik has given no opinion on the tensioners when he was asked about them - although this doesn't actually proove anything.
If this can be shown not to be the case, then credit to them 8-)

PostPosted: 29 May 2009 23:49 

I hear where you're coming from - it sounded like it was just a team chat thing, not research based or proved.

I rate the real mechanics and riders on here more than the dealers, I'm not convinced that HDB Techs are to the same standard as old fashioned mechanics, having said that, I'm sure that statement will piss a few people off. Still, you can only judge by what you get - 6 hours to find a chaffed cable etc....

If I could find a reliable mechanic within a realistic distance he/she would get my vote any day..... Ever thought of moving north Maz?

In the garage -

2001 X1
KTM390 Duke
Ducati 950 Monster +
CCM Spitfire Scrambler

PostPosted: 30 May 2009 00:19 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
t965m, check the surface of your rear pulley, is it perfect or is there evidence that a stone got in it? i.e. is it marked on the teeth?

I wholly agree with Kev, fit the bugger if you want. To me, they can do no harm; loading is reduced on the belt, on the gearbox output shaft bearing, the pulley wheel bearing(s) and the wheel bearing. If stones are picked up by the belt, the stress on the belt is lower so the stone is less likely to damage the belt...

PostPosted: 30 May 2009 22:23 
t965m wrote:
Took advantage of the great weather today and when out with the the wife for a we ride-out, her on the XB and me on the Hyper. A couple of hours into Fife an XB belt appeared in the road in front of me and the wife was coasting to a stop on a mega busy road, which was handy.

Anyway, after the recovery to Edinburgh HDB I was chatting to a couple of the staff who had just been to a UK dealers meeting. Turns out they had been chatting about Buell sites and the info on them, good and bad. One of the things that was mentioned (Apparently) is that fitting a FS tensioner can cause the belt to fail, you can imagine how thrilled I was to hear that. I have no idea about spannering and had one fitted after the numerous post recommending them, so... thoughts from those that know better than me?

I've taken some pictures of the belt for general perusal, bear in mind it sat in the middle of a busy road for a while... Images to follow.......

If it is of any help your belt looks exactly the same as mine did wene it broke and nothing went over it. The cracks and uneven wear are not road rash it happend on the bike.

HD are said to have improved the belt design over the years, on the XB range, and have used different makers as well.

Ok I run a 06 Uly. Mine went at about 7600, bought it with 1700 on it, seemed to get tighter as the engine got hot, always had the wear marks on it, had the early belt and the break may not have been helped by a none Buell savy tyre fitter but I had no option on this.

The new belt is a later version, stays tight, it has done 2700 and still looks brand new. I checked it the other day.

I see no reason why a FS tensioner should be a problem as long as it is fitted and setup right. Given the way it works it should lower the load on the gearbox output shaft bearing, the rear wheel bearing and help extend the life of the belt but there is something else I have not seen noted.

As the bike heats up it expands in length, believe me I know as noted it with my old belt, and the belt has to take this into account and this is not going to help much either.

You could say "well what about the situation with chain drive". Not the same thing at all for many reasons.

PostPosted: 31 May 2009 12:57 
The Nagged Hubby

Just checked my belt over. Fitted it in March and it's done less than 2000miles and there is a fecking dirty big crack between the teeth.
To say I'm pissed off is an understatement!

Cock heads!

N.

PostPosted: 31 May 2009 18:36 

Another Buell owner who I shared my joyous experience with reckoned that there is a lifetime or 50k guarantee on belts - anyone know if there is any truth in it and if so where it says it in black and white?

In the garage -

2001 X1
KTM390 Duke
Ducati 950 Monster +
CCM Spitfire Scrambler

PostPosted: 31 May 2009 19:53 
proff. patpending

t965m wrote:
Another Buell owner who I shared my joyous experience with reckoned that there is a lifetime or 50k guarantee on belts - anyone know if there is any truth in it and if so where it says it in black and white?

Did you check for marks on your rear sprocket teeth?

Nate wrote:
Just checked my belt over. Fitted it in March and it's done less than 2000miles and there is a fecking dirty big crack between the teeth.

Have you got marks on your sprocket teeth? If not, take it back and complain...

PostPosted: 31 May 2009 20:04 

Nate wrote:

Cock heads!

N.

Nate, I wouldn't worry too much about the cracks unless they've gone into the load bearing fabric (kevlar :?: polymid :?: ) The belt on my FXDX looked bloody awful and had a hole in it from stone damage (picked up on the car park at John O'Groats) and it lasted form thousands of miles until I sold it. It's still working fine as far as I know. I did point it out to the buyer coz he was a mate 8-)

PostPosted: 31 May 2009 20:15 

From what i have heard and seen failure of the belts after fitting the FSS tensioner is down to improper handling.
Peeps not backing off the rear axles to allow all the tension off the belt and Peeps forcing the belt to one side when fitting the tensioner.
It is probably this the dealers are turning to their advantage. IMO that is.

PostPosted: 31 May 2009 20:22 

My FST was fitted by the dealer at the 10k service, so if it's poor installation it's down to them - not that they would hold their hands up to it of course :roll:

I guess I could have just been unlucky ;)

In the garage -

2001 X1
KTM390 Duke
Ducati 950 Monster +
CCM Spitfire Scrambler

PostPosted: 31 May 2009 20:30 
proff. patpending

t965m, check the surface of your rear pulley, is it perfect or is there evidence that a stone got in it? i.e. is it marked on the teeth?

PostPosted: 31 May 2009 20:40 

The bike is with the dealer so I can't check it - luckily they don't have a belt in, apparantly they don't break that often, so they don't hold them in stock. How lucky is that :?:

In the garage -

2001 X1
KTM390 Duke
Ducati 950 Monster +
CCM Spitfire Scrambler

PostPosted: 31 May 2009 20:43 
proff. patpending

Thanks for answering the question, only had to ask it three times ;)

PostPosted: 31 May 2009 20:46 

Sorry Pash but got there in the end :mrgreen:

In the garage -

2001 X1
KTM390 Duke
Ducati 950 Monster +
CCM Spitfire Scrambler

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next