It is currently 19 Apr 2024 13:28

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Broken XB Belt
PostPosted: 29 May 2009 19:32 

Current ride: Ducati Monster 950+
Took advantage of the great weather today and when out with the the wife for a we ride-out, her on the XB and me on the Hyper. A couple of hours into Fife an XB belt appeared in the road in front of me and the wife was coasting to a stop on a mega busy road, which was handy.

Anyway, after the recovery to Edinburgh HDB I was chatting to a couple of the staff who had just been to a UK dealers meeting. Turns out they had been chatting about Buell sites and the info on them, good and bad. One of the things that was mentioned (Apparently) is that fitting a FS tensioner can cause the belt to fail, you can imagine how thrilled I was to hear that. I have no idea about spannering and had one fitted after the numerous post recommending them, so... thoughts from those that know better than me?

I've taken some pictures of the belt for general perusal, bear in mind it sat in the middle of a busy road for a while... Images to follow.......

In the garage -

2001 X1
KTM390 Duke
Ducati 950 Monster +
CCM Spitfire Scrambler

Post subject: Re: Broken XB Belt
PostPosted: 29 May 2009 19:44 
Interesting was going to fit mine 2moro! :?

PostPosted: 29 May 2009 19:45 

Good to hear that the rider coasted to a stop even in heavy traffic :clap: as you know it could have been alot worse .

I also got an FS tensioner but was told not to fit by dealer as it could make my belt worse as it is fraying , but now they say go ahead put it on as nothing wrong with your bike/belt see viewtopic.php?f=7&t=658 , think you will find they will try and blame failures on the tensioner FFS , Wont be fitting it and the bike will not be moving till this is sorted .

PostPosted: 29 May 2009 19:50 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
They are shit, I will buy any surplus ones for 20 pounds...

PostPosted: 29 May 2009 19:56 
Really how generous are you :roll:

PostPosted: 29 May 2009 20:02 
The Nagged Hubby

Tis a lode of bollocks!
Glad your Mrs is safe!

N.

PostPosted: 29 May 2009 20:30 

t965m wrote:
I have no idea about spannering and had one fitted after the numerous post recommending them, so... thoughts from those that know better than me?

Buell don't sell tensioners, just the fixed jockey wheels, and recommending tensioners would be saying that there's a problem with the original design.

Why would you even ask the dealer about that, it's not like most would give impartial advice.

(Adam... is that your phone ringing again?) :lol:

PostPosted: 29 May 2009 20:45 

Link to photos of broken belt:

http://s557.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... XB%20Belt/

In the garage -

2001 X1
KTM390 Duke
Ducati 950 Monster +
CCM Spitfire Scrambler

PostPosted: 29 May 2009 21:07 

Current ride: 1991 RS1200 westwind
hmm looks to be a lot of damage to that belt apart from the break.........both the belts i've had go have looked in good condition apart from the actual break. Is there something on the pulleys that may be causing damage?

PostPosted: 29 May 2009 21:43 

I don't think there is anything damaging the belt on the pulleys etc but I'm not exactly good at the spannering thing - I check the belt etc regularly to make sure there is nothing obviously damaged. There is probably a lot of extra damage as it laid in the road for about 20 minutes before I managed to retrieve it.

In the garage -

2001 X1
KTM390 Duke
Ducati 950 Monster +
CCM Spitfire Scrambler

PostPosted: 29 May 2009 22:12 

Rear wheel bearings were changed 2k ago and the bearings on the tensioner were also changed. I'm not sure what the front pulley bearing is?

In the garage -

2001 X1
KTM390 Duke
Ducati 950 Monster +
CCM Spitfire Scrambler

PostPosted: 29 May 2009 22:43 

t965m wrote:
Took advantage of the great weather today and when out with the the wife for a we ride-out, her on the XB and me on the Hyper. A couple of hours into Fife an XB belt appeared in the road in front of me and the wife was coasting to a stop on a mega busy road, which was handy.

Anyway, after the recovery to Edinburgh HDB I was chatting to a couple of the staff who had just been to a UK dealers meeting. Turns out they had been chatting about Buell sites and the info on them, good and bad. One of the things that was mentioned (Apparently) is that fitting a FS tensioner can cause the belt to fail, you can imagine how thrilled I was to hear that. I have no idea about spannering and had one fitted after the numerous post recommending them, so... thoughts from those that know better than me?

I've taken some pictures of the belt for general perusal, bear in mind it sat in the middle of a busy road for a while... Images to follow.......

So was this dealer gossip based on any fact, or were they having to defend the inadequacies of the original set up? (which does, in fact, make the best of a bad job) Did you ask if any qualified engineers with exrtensive knowlege of drive belts had offered any evidence for this, or was it just Showroom experts spouting off :roll: One view would be worth listening to, the other would just be shite.

PostPosted: 29 May 2009 22:56 

My belt broke shortly after fitting an fs tensioner.

The reasons for this, i believe, are as follows.

The original belt had been on for over 15k miles, with the original set up.

I fitted the tensioner, and had never had the wheel out before trying the procedure.

I may have twisted the belt a little fitting the tensioner.....

The rear suspension was on full travel, and there seemed to be no road below the rear tyre.

All in all, the fs tensioner has been on now for 10k miles. Each to there own. If you dont want to fit it then don't. I still believe that gear changes are smoother and easier with the tensioner fitted...

PostPosted: 29 May 2009 23:08 

To be honest I didn't get into it - I pretty much accept that no matter what one 'expert' says another will say the opposite. You pay your money and take your chance. Hopefully it'll get fixed and we'll keep it going for another 2-3k, and with a bit of luck it'll be down to Maz for a 15k. Thats if he's still working on the XB type junk :lol:

In the garage -

2001 X1
KTM390 Duke
Ducati 950 Monster +
CCM Spitfire Scrambler

PostPosted: 29 May 2009 23:12 
Just curious, has anyone done any research and collected the attrition rates of belts failing on standard bikes to those with the fs tensioner? If not perhaps this forum could be used and a useful set of figues obtained as a fault diagnosis tool.

Anyone up for that? :?: