It is currently 28 Mar 2024 08:25

All times are UTC

Post subject: Cabbage of the month !
PostPosted: 15 May 2010 12:12 
Goes to me, for not taking :maz: and my own advice. :headbang:

Normally I always copperslip the axles on my bikes as soon as I get them - but didn't do my 2010 CR when I took delivery in January, I wimped out because of the cold weather and then, to be honest, forgot all about it.

Got a puncture in the rear tyre on Tuesday - so today I've been trying to take the wheel out to get a new tyre - guess what, the axle is seized to the bearings - when I try to undo the axle it just spreads the swingarm. :headbang: And yes I know that it's a left hand thread. It looks to me like the inner ( third bearing ) is the culprit. So it looks as if it is going to have to be a warranty job. :roll:

Oh, and by the way, the bike's got just over 1,400 miles on it.

So if you haven't copperslipped your axles lately ( or never ! ) then I strongly suggest you do, else you can have this :yc: off of me ...

PostPosted: 15 May 2010 14:56 

:yc: Sometimes lifes a bitch lOl

PostPosted: 15 May 2010 16:23 

Current ride: Xb12Scg
dammit SM you got me all worried. went out to the garage and removed both axles. of course they were well copper greased as the bike came from Black Bear. i still 'topped' it up though with my own supply.

hope the bike gets sorted quickly

PostPosted: 15 May 2010 16:26 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
What about the "tie down" method? Or knocking it with a wooden mallet? Or a "temporary" tyre repair (they hold up pretty well you know)...

PostPosted: 15 May 2010 17:10 
pash wrote:
What about the "tie down" method? Or knocking it with a wooden mallet? Or a "temporary" tyre repair (they hold up pretty well you know)...

Yes a bit of a "tap" might break the bond between axle/bearing. I presume the "tie down" method is straping up the swing arm to stop it spreading. If not thats a good idea as well as you dont want to stress it. If comes to a point take it to the dealer to sort.

PostPosted: 15 May 2010 18:56 
Tried both the strap and tap methods - but no joy. Will leave the penetrating spray ( GT85 ) to do its job overnight and try again tomorrow.

Not sure if the hole in the tyre will take a plug or not, it looks bigger than the 6 mm that I've been told is the biggest that can be done. Plus my local bike shop have sold out of repair kits until their next delivery. :roll:

Provisionally booked the bike to be collected next Friday, although they can't look at it until the following Tuesday. :cry: But at least they can do the stator update at the same time - they have the kit, they've just been waiting on me to book it in. Trouble is that they need to get the wheel off and give it to me to get a new tyre - I cannot afford to pay main dealer prices. :shock: Then give it back to them so that they can refit it.

I've really had a shit week, I also lost/had stolen my wallet and they tried to clean out my bank account - they managed to get £500 before the alarm was raised. So now I've got no cards as everything had to be cancelled, and I can't get any cash out until new cards arrive, along with a new credit card. :headbang:

PostPosted: 15 May 2010 19:08 
Quote:
Trouble is that they need to get the wheel off and give it to me to get a new tyre - I cannot afford to pay main dealer prices. Then give it back to them so that they can refit it.

Dude. Take your own rubber and make them fit it FOC. FFS the bike has a problem make the feckers pay.

Your CC (fraud) balance is covered after the time you reported it.

PostPosted: 30 May 2010 18:36 
Got the bike back yesterday with a new Pirelli Diablo Rosso fitted - apparently the rear axle was a bitch to get out !

Still kicking myself for not checking that it was nicely copper greased when I first got it - in fairness though when I bought my 2008 R they had nicely greased the axles - just goes to show that you shoudln't be complacent ...

Also had the stator wiring upgrade done - just need to reinstall the solenoid eliminator now - I may also get around to fitting the K & N air filter.

PostPosted: 30 May 2010 18:42 
The Nagged Hubby

If your still strapped for dosh I could send you a tyre kit and pay me back when your sorted.

Nate :yup:

PostPosted: 30 May 2010 18:58 
Nate, that's very generous of you, but luckily my cashflow problems have been sorted !

Now if you can sort my alcohol consumption problem I really would be quids in ...

...nah stuff it, life really is too short !

PostPosted: 30 May 2010 19:15 
The Nagged Hubby

sportster_mann wrote:
Nate, that's very generous of you, but luckily my cashflow problems have been sorted !

Now if you can sort my alcohol consumption problem I really would be quids in ...

...nah stuff it, life really is too short !

:yup:

N

PostPosted: 31 May 2010 18:39 
Thanks for the heads up :yup:

I must admit I only grease mine when they have been removed.

PostPosted: 31 May 2010 18:50 

ph4824 wrote:

:o
You'd need very thin fingers to do it in situ ;) lOl

PostPosted: 31 May 2010 21:29 
Adam wrote:
ph4824 wrote:

:o
You'd need very thin fingers to do it in situ ;) lOl

lol, yep just re read it! What I meant to say...........ah you know what I meant!

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2010 17:05 

sound advice Sportster_Mann - sorry you have been bitten.