It is currently 25 Apr 2024 09:51

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 27 May 2009 22:13 

:headbang: The HDUK have said that their is no fix for my belt that is wearing /shredding on the edge this is the second belt which was changed 600 miles ago as first belt was the same but changed at 1700 miles ............ :headbang: yeah nothing wrong they said ( they all do that ) we will change it if it snaps FOC .... I'm pretty much peeved with it and to top it of phoned them today to get price for tyres to be told we will call you back in 10 mins that was at 1230 I'm still waiting !. :maz: you just cant get the staff these days . so any help would be grateful thanks

aarrrggghhh had to come on here and rant .......done http://img23.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=p1000374.jpg

PostPosted: 27 May 2009 22:26 

Current ride: 2001 M2
I don't know the history of your bike but could this be a pulley alignment problem? Rear wheel alignment? Possible dodgy bearing at the front pulley? (Sorry, don't wanna cause worry but I've been thinking about those bearings today..)

Last edited by Dunno on 27 May 2009 22:31, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 27 May 2009 22:29 

Dunno wrote:
I don't know the history of your bike but could this be a pulley alignment problem? Rear wheel alignment? Possible dodgy bearing at the front pulley? (Sorry, don't wanna cause worry but I've been thinking about those bearings today...)

yeah thats what i was told on the old forum ....HDUK say nothing to worry about :x

PostPosted: 27 May 2009 22:30 

Current ride: 2000 M2
what bike/model is it :?:

PostPosted: 27 May 2009 22:41 

tubbs wrote:
what bike/model is it :?:

xb12 firebolt

PostPosted: 27 May 2009 22:44 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
You are riding the future... ;)

PostPosted: 27 May 2009 22:59 

pash wrote:
You are riding the future... ;)
:hehe: the way that belts wearing and the response from dealer their wont be much Future.......... ;)

PostPosted: 27 May 2009 23:02 
Site Admin

I would suspect the gearbox output ball/needle races.
Was at a main dealers recently and was called into the workshop to look at a 12R that they were fitting the 4th belt to.
'Technician' told me that he couldn't understand why a new belt would be so slack, I asked if the wheel bearings, idler bearings, swingarm bearings and gearbox bearings were OK, question was met with a blank expression.
Walked up to the bike and grabbed the front pulley = loadsa play......told the 'technician' to remove the plug seal, which he did, revealing totally trashed mainshaft outer needle bearing.He couldn't believe it and said he'd never seen anything like that before.....I went on to tell him that all 'sportster' units have done this forever :roll:
They couldn't believe the book time to replace the bearing versus their labour rate and managed to work out, all on their own, that the bike was a write off :evil:
.......and this was after they'd done a full service, fitted a new battery etc. which they still required the customer to pay for......even though the invoice stated that the bike should not be ridden until it's unsafe condition was attended to :x

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 27 May 2009 23:21 

oh no dont say stuff like that :maz: :shock:

Looks like a formal letter to HDUK :headbang: before this does more damage to the bike or me :headbang:

PostPosted: 28 May 2009 22:02 
Hi Mike, I had a similar problem with my uly, I posted a thread on the old forum.

Maz advised that it might be the front bearing, I checked mine and it was ok, I could feel no play in the bearing, I did however find that the outer flange on the front pulley was running out of true by up to as much as 1.0 mm. The 'out of true bit' matched the frayed area on the belt. After a bit of tweeking I managed to get it to run true within 0.1 mm, I've now done a further 700 miles and the fraying has got no worse, seems ok now.

Hope this helps. ;)