It is currently 29 Mar 2024 09:05

All times are UTC

Post subject: Servicing Question
PostPosted: 20 May 2009 18:29 

Could anyone tell me what the situtation is of servicing and Warranty

If i have my bike serviced via a non franchised Buell dealer will the warranty still be valid.

My understanding is , as long as the independent uses OEM parts and services to the defined OEM schedule then the warranty is valid as per a ruling from the EU in Brussels.

A friend of mine said that the service book has to stamped by the garage who must be VAT registered and that this must have a VAT number shown on the stamp to validate the service book correctly and thus maintaining the warranty. Not sure about that one ???.
Any thoughts anyway , as i would like to use a local independant in the future( Lightning Services) but thought i'd check on here if anyone knows.....
Thanks...
Mooby77

Post subject: Re: Servicing Question
PostPosted: 20 May 2009 18:42 

In theory, you're correct, if the spannerman is 'suitably qualified' (presumably by HDB :roll: ) Could you afford to argue the case with HDB Lawyers? If so, good luck. I doubt they'll accept this challenge to their closed shop without a fight, whatever the Law says ;)

PostPosted: 20 May 2009 18:46 
spot on, as long as the bike is serviced as per manufactures schedule and documented etc with stamps/invoices and vat numbers etc it will be fine. The EU ruling stops manufactures from insisting on only them servicing vehicles to validate warranty. Pretty sure it covers bikes too. click HERE for the car info

PostPosted: 20 May 2009 18:51 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
I service my own and it is still under warranty... :lol:

PostPosted: 20 May 2009 19:24 

Current ride: X1 2001
pash wrote:
I service my own and it is still under warranty... :lol:

as long as you use a lump hammer they wont tell the difference... :twisted: :lol:

PostPosted: 20 May 2009 20:17 
ahh yes the BFH as we call it in the trade :yup:

PostPosted: 20 May 2009 23:57 

A mate of mine emailed Trading Standards about dealer servicing and this is what he got back.

Thank you for your email.

You wish to know whether your motorcycle warranty would be invalidated if you have your bike serviced by an independent mechanic (which you would prefer), rather than by an authorised KTM garage.

First, to answer your question, I am afraid that the EC motor vehicles block exemption (Regulation1400/2002) (BER) does not apply to two wheeled vehicles. Article 1 (1) (n) defines `motor vehicle’ for the purposes of the Regulation as having three or more road wheels.

Anyone asked Buell Uk ?

PostPosted: 21 May 2009 11:01 

That may well be the interpretation given by Trading Standards but it's different to the view given by a Barrister. One case in which it was discussed was about the early failure of an aircraft crankshaft some 15 years ago. It was decided that an aircraft was a vehicle.

PostPosted: 21 May 2009 12:06 

Current ride: XB12X
Adam wrote:
That may well be the interpretation given by Trading Standards but it's different to the view given by a Barrister. One case in which it was discussed was about the early failure of an aircraft crankshaft some 15 years ago. It was decided that an aircraft was a vehicle.

Presumably it had skids :o flown a few aircraft and only the gliders had less than 3 wheels.

PostPosted: 21 May 2009 19:59 

Not the point I was making really. T/S often give an opinion without an informed legal background. You need an expert legal advice before acting on anything T/S say. I doubt they exhaustively check the Law with a first enquiry.

BTW, some tail draggers I've flown have a rear skid ;)

PostPosted: 22 May 2009 13:04 
Some good answers here, particularly the Trading Standards reply. There may well be a legal case, but who will be the first to risk taking on HD's corporate lawyers?

As a matter of interest, in the USA, the warranty is observed and honoured regardless of who does the servicing.

PostPosted: 22 May 2009 18:06 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
And here...

PostPosted: 23 May 2009 19:33 
pash wrote:
And here...

So..... does it have to be a VAT registered garage or can you DIY it and keep the receipts as proof???

PostPosted: 23 May 2009 19:46 
Site Admin

:roll:

Who is your dealer ?.....as a matter of courtesy, I would go and have a chat with the DP to get his take on servicing.......after all, any warranty claims will have to be made via the dealer.
Most dealers are only to happy not to have the mither of servicing Buells.....just buy all the service parts from them :idea:

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 25 May 2009 20:11 
Maz wrote:
:roll:

Who is your dealer ?.....as a matter of courtesy, I would go and have a chat with the DP to get his take on servicing.......after all, any warranty claims will have to be made via the dealer.
Most dealers are only to happy not to have the mither of servicing Buells.....just buy all the service parts from them :idea:

Thanks, I'll do that Maz, especially as my Uly is sitting in their workshop right now having it's rear wheel bearings replaced under warranty!!! I should be picking it up Thursdayish.....!