It is currently 29 Mar 2024 08:13

All times are UTC

PostPosted: 17 May 2009 08:20 

Ok lets set the scene , you take in your pride & joy for a new set of hoops,
prepared to spend a couple of hundred,fitted to the bike.

After the first 15mins your decision to buy an XB in the 1st place, has been comprehensively slandered and you are clearly a Numpty of the highest order!

Anyway everyone in the shop agrees and we move on, Maz takes out he back wheel,
bitches about the spindle design (mine comes out reasonably easy) and then puts it
on the Probike wheel balancer. He spins it up using the internal motor then turns the motor off, however at the exact same time he pushes the "macs" button!!!

The Probike balancer has clearly been modified with an £9.99 Amp and a less than a fiver 3" speaker form Maplin's ,cunningly hidden inside. Sure enough it emits "white noise" which replicates the exact sound of knacked wheel bearings!

Voila! you just have to accept after 5,500 miles! you need a set of bearings! It's
totally convincing.
Maz gets to bill you for parts and labour, result! :evil:

Maz then expertly fits the shiny new SKF's pops the wheel back on the machine
(this time to actually balance it) does the same thing spins her up with motor on,
flicks motor off , presses nothing,,,, guess what total silence!!!!

Why I have I christened it the magic "macs" button , well just write macs down backwards :?
Or it could stand for "Made Additional Cash-Sucker!"

Its a classic device ,works every time apparently! :clap:

One stage of the process did confuse me, I know you have to be methodical with
your tools etc But why put away both the bearing puller tool box and the tool box which is used to re-seat the bearings .
Lets face it they all have to come out again in a few minutes when the Front wheel
gets the "macs " button procedure ?

Being serious for a second, both sets of bearings were bad, it was blatant you feel it
clear as day , the fronts (smaller so expected) worse than the rear in my case.

Full set of wheel bearings at 5,500 miles what gives! After the XB abuse on arrival
and crap undersized design of many parts why do we bother?
Maz also did the spark plugs , how stupid are they to get to.

A KTM or even a Honda looks a better prospect every day.

As for Maz he is a perfectionist , the care and attention not to mention knowledge is without question. (work on the humor, a bit less abuse & some people may get to like you :idea: )

Well i'm broke now ,ho hum, took it easy on the way home (new tyres) but the bike was so much smoother and clear mirrors, unlikely to be the bearings, most likely the wheels as they were both perfectly balanced (no weights on my wheels before?)

As usual a visit to the Emporium is always an experience , Hope you got that Zorst on
Andy................Before Midnight?!

PostPosted: 17 May 2009 09:17 

:headbang:

PostPosted: 17 May 2009 16:20 

Well don't feel too bad about it mate

My tuber front bearings were also well knackered when I took it in for a front hoop recently at 15k. As he has often stated, he doesn't make this stuff up.

I also fitted new head bearings and swingarm bearings, you would not believe the difference it has made to handling (mainly due to doing the front end if I'm honest).

Ain't checked the rear wheel bearings but I can guarantee they are knackered or well on their way too....

PostPosted: 17 May 2009 17:13 
Site Admin

Tubers dont eat wheel bearings anything like XB's do.

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 17 May 2009 19:41 

Got finished about 7pm, Maz still had stuff to do, can't for the life of me understand why he is pissed off.
Thanks Maz.

PostPosted: 18 May 2009 19:26 

Can't understand what your getting at about the complaining, its Buell not Maz that needs the ear full I'm new on here but have already been helped out on more than one occasion, just took the wheels off my XB at 2500 miles for new tyres, rear wheel bearings shagged already so a bit peed off at least the guy checked yours I've known plenty who would'nt even bother their arse. In the meantime a trip to the bearing shop for me.

PostPosted: 19 May 2009 08:20 

Hi all not complaining really just telling how it is, I tried to use an entertaining
story, which the basic gist is :-

If Maz tells you something about a Buell it will be absolutely,100%, full stop, correct!

The blokes a genius, (lets face it he has/does works on these bikes for years, experience counts for everything)

I have read posts in the past about wheel bearings/head bearings etc where the
author goes on about them not being knackered and frankly trying to test/wind up
the diagnosis already provided by :maz: .Clearly when you hear/feel bearings
with your own ears and fingers , all these other guys are talking bollax.
You may as well believe him in the first place, it will save you time,money and maybe
that big off !:shock:

Now I'm not here to bull him up , but after watching :maz: work ,
"perfectionist" doesn't do him justice!

Spager said :-
, rear wheel bearings shagged already so a bit peed off at least the guy checked yours I've known plenty who would'nt even bother their arse. In the meantime a trip to the bearing shop for me.

Hi Spager , I'm not sure if Maz is giving out telephone advise a present, but if you are fitting your own bearings .I would try to get the heads up first from him.
(Perhaps a post in technical to ask)

Sorry I have no idea how many times you may have replaced bearings, but it
did seem a very precise task, due to seating and spacer connotations.

If your anywhere near Manchester I would recommend a visit to the Emporium.

Simon

PostPosted: 19 May 2009 23:06 

Thanks for that Simon I've fitted the bearings hopefully they'll be right if not I'll hold my hands up and beg for help, what I would say is when you find a guy who knows his spanners stick with them cos they're worth their weight in gold a bit of piss take is better than the cold shoulder treatment some of these up their ar*e dealerships give you and lets face it most dealerships take the piss anyway when they hand you a bill at £55.00 labour per hour