It is currently 26 Apr 2024 07:47

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: 17 May 2009 13:49 
pash wrote:
I think you need to take you bike back and ask for a refund. It doesn't look like it fits your needs.

NEVER!! I like my Buell and I don't for one minute regret buying it. But maybe you explained something I never thought of and that is cracking! Yes my BMW screen is way better (imo) but would it stand up to the vibration of the Buell without cracking - I don't know? One of my winglets on the GSA has cracked around one screw probably due to wind pressure!

I'm surpise you wrote that Nick?

PostPosted: 17 May 2009 15:04 

Current ride: X1 2001
ever heard of irony :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 17 May 2009 15:15 

ph4824 wrote:
... But maybe you explained something I never thought of and that is cracking!

Yet again, a frequently reported issue.

Whilst we're at it, did anyone mention not getting fuel on it as well?

PostPosted: 17 May 2009 18:31 
Norm wrote:
ph4824 wrote:
... But maybe you explained something I never thought of and that is cracking!

Yet again, a frequently reported issue.

Whilst we're at it, did anyone mention not getting fuel on it as well?

Yes I red that back along and since then have been extra careful in not spilling petrol on tank ( :oops: alright airbox cover)!

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009 16:24 
Been looking to get a product which will effectively polish out the fine scratches on the airbox cover (to be fair you can hardly see them at all). Thought Autoglyms range might help...my dealer had this to say

That kind of stuff is better for polishing painted metal rather than plastic. You have to go a bit careful as over time, polish will leave a haze on the tank as it is a plastic cover rather than painted metal.

Fair enough, so I've been reading through this thread and it seems the recommended two are Novus and Aeroshell. But will what the dealer said above still apply :?:

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009 18:48 
bench9 wrote:
Been looking to get a product which will effectively polish out the fine scratches on the airbox cover (to be fair you can hardly see them at all). Thought Autoglyms range might help...my dealer had this to say

That kind of stuff is better for polishing painted metal rather than plastic. You have to go a bit careful as over time, polish will leave a haze on the tank as it is a plastic cover rather than painted metal.

Fair enough, so I've been reading through this thread and it seems the recommended two are Novus and Aeroshell. But will what the dealer said above still apply :?:

I've tried a few products. Novus 2, Brasso, T-cut scratch remover, HD fine scratch remover, furniture polish, Autoglym resin polish, glass cleaner, glass polish. Seems the flaw is in the Buell plastics itself cause you never get it back to that new look. There's no scratch resistance in the plastics = scratch all to easy. Novus 2 is not bad but it's so easy to put new scratches in the plastic just by using one of those yellow dusters to polish.

I'm looking out for some sort of clear film scratch protector to stick on the tank is anyone know where to get it from?

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009 18:54 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
Helicopter tape? They put it on the leading edge of rotor blades. The stuff I have seen is clear...

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009 20:23 
Is this what you're looking for ?

Or on Ebay

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009 20:56 
Quote:
I'm looking out for some sort of clear film scratch protector to stick on the tank is anyone know where to get it from?

Yes. Oxford products. It is nice, thick and sticks perfect. I have used some on the back of my airbox cover for sometime and it is great. I have no probs with XB plastics. In fact I find them very good.

You have only just got this bike so what the feck have you been doing with it to need all this polishing doing. The other thing is that the BMW screens are near optic grade plastics and your cover is not.

If you want a perfect bike leave it in the garage with the others. If you want to have fun get on it and ride. Wear and tear is what happens to bikes if you use them. Fact of life, Sir.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009 21:05 
Yep. Thats the one :lol:.

Mind you I do ask myself sometimes if all this sort of thing is just a big wind up. Some of the questions asked make no sense from anyone who rides a bike.

Quote:

This sort of thing is about as basic as it gets :roll:.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009 21:15 

THE FLYING DUCHMAN wrote:
Quote:

Yes. Oxford products. It is nice, thick and sticks perfect. I have used some on the back of my airbox cover for sometime and it is great. I have no probs with XB plastics. In fact I find them very good.

Oxford Paintsaver is their stuff. I prefer Tankslapper, though, fecking good stuff, had it on the Fazer for 7 years so I reckon that's covered the $15 costs. :lol:

But still, :headbang:

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009 21:19 
THE FLYING DUCHMAN wrote:
Yep. Thats the one :lol:.

Mind you I do ask myself sometimes if all this sort of thing is just a big wind up. Some of the questions asked make no sense from anyone who rides a bike.

Quote:

This sort of thing is about as basic as it gets :roll:.

Ah yes one big wind up!

I was told that there was a clear vinyl type clear plastic tank protector for the Buell by HD. Turns out to be wrong so I asked here if there was such a thing? Some of us like to look after our bikes AS WELL AS ride them.

What the hell is this forum for if not to ask questions and share info?

Last edited by ph4824 on 10 Jun 2009 21:25, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009 21:20 
Norm wrote:

I saw that, put of buying from the USA, wondered if there was something similar in this country?

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009 21:41 

ph4824 wrote:
Norm wrote:

I saw that, put of buying from the USA, wondered if there was something similar in this country?

Well, two people have now mentioned the Oxford Paintsaver and I had no probs at all buying the protective film from the US... it's less than a tenner at the moment so what's the worst that could happen?

How many endorsements are you actually hoping to get before you buy anything?

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2009 21:48 

Current ride: rusty 3-speed pedal
another + for the Buell plastics: ever compare the replacement cost to Japanese sportbike plastic bits? :shock:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next