It is currently 16 Apr 2024 08:10

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 12 May 2009 09:58 
My bike is still running in, not that that makes any difference cause I've had this happen to me on other buells on test rides also. When I'm stationery and just about to pull away I always open and close the throttle quickly before accelerating away - to quickly rev the engine once before releasing the clutch so to speak. I do it on all my bikes but the Buell seems to misfire randomly at this point giving the impression it's going to stall. It's quite scarry when you are sandwiched between two cars at traffic lights and need a quick get away :o. Would changing the exhaust and adding a powerizer and K & N fix this?

PostPosted: 12 May 2009 10:19 

Current ride: Xb12Scg
how many miles have you got on it now? it might depend on whether you are running around at town at low speeds. i wouldnt bother with all the other stuff until the bikes run in.

or do your own TPS reset.

Have the Run/Stop button set to Run.
Turn the ignition key to the On position but do not crank or start the engine.
Open the throttle fully to the stop and hold it there for one second.
Close the throttle fully to the stop and hold it there for one second.
Repeat the throttle open/close procedure a total of three times in succession.
Turn the ignition key to Off/On/Off/On/Off in succession to complete the procedure.

PostPosted: 12 May 2009 14:32 
Hi Mitch, I've almost done 400 miles now. Thanks for the TPS reset procedure I will do that today. Thing is this misfiring is random and on EVERY Buell I've test ridden including 56 Uly, 06 XB12R, 2x 08 XB12s and now mine.

PostPosted: 12 May 2009 15:08 

This sounds 'normal' to me. I seem to remember a thread on this a while back (before the hack?) explaining why the FI struggles to handle rapid open and closing on the throttle. My advice to you would be: don't do it :)

PostPosted: 12 May 2009 16:28 

Current ride: CB1300, Z750, R1200
:yt: :yup:

PostPosted: 12 May 2009 16:40 

ph4824 wrote:
... on EVERY Buell I've test ridden including 56 Uly, 06 XB12R, 2x 08 XB12s and now mine.

Hmm... if every Buell does it, maybe they are trying to tell you something.

Why would you even do that? Does it not mean that you are engaging the clutch on falling revs?

Sounds like a very bad thing to do so I'm with Boshus and Gunter here.

PostPosted: 12 May 2009 17:32 

agree with replies, don't do it the FI can't handle it, if it has happened on every Buell you have ridden guess what the common denominator is.

PostPosted: 12 May 2009 19:31 
Well I don't do anything out of the ordinary! I always give my bikes a quick rev before changing down also (but not up) - works well! A few people seem to have commented on how their bikes were running poorly before they upgraded their exhaust and the like hence why I'm asking! Went for another ride today and the bike splutters alot at low revs - it's crap imo! Maybe I will have to learn new habbits on this bike. :roll:

What is FI?

PostPosted: 12 May 2009 19:42 

Out of interest, what are trying to achieve by opening and closing the throttle before releasing the clutch when you pull away?

FI = fuel injection

PostPosted: 12 May 2009 19:47 
Adam wrote:
Out of interest, what are trying to achieve by opening and closing the throttle before releasing the clutch when you pull away?

FI = fuel injection

Good question! I don't know? I was brought up on 2 strokes so must be a habit I got into when pulling away as low revs = stall. Plus a quick rev before letting clutch out = faster acceleration from a stand still. I must have carried that habit through to my 4 strokes. Also a quick rev before changing down a gear makes it smoother, if you don't then it's a bit clunky! Always done it that way!

PostPosted: 12 May 2009 19:52 
The Nagged Hubby

Tis a common thing to see some folk wind a throttle wide open when a bike does not start to well, my Mrs will do it on her zzr600 sometimes instead of just lifting the butterflies a little. It don't matter how many times I jump up and down shouting it just won't go in. :roll:
It may just be a habit thing. Maybe it's worth a slight change of habit ;)
Not saying don't do it but maybe a little less. Maybe adjusting the clutch cable will allow you to feel it bite earlier so you know better when to give some throttle.
N.

PostPosted: 12 May 2009 19:56 
Nate wrote:
Tis a common thing to see some folk wind a throttle wide open when a bike does not start to well, my Mrs will do it on her zzr600 sometimes instead of just lifting the butterflies a little. It don't matter how many times I jump up and down shouting it just won't go in. :roll:
It may just be a habit thing. Maybe it's worth a slight change of habit ;)
Not saying don't do it but maybe a little less. Maybe adjusting the clutch cable will allow you to feel it bite earlier so you know better when to give some throttle.
N.

I wasn't saying I open the throttle fully open, and I don't sit at traffic lights revving the bikes to bits, just a little quick burst about 1000rpm or less.

And yes if this is the way it is then I will have to adjust my ways! :dummy:

PostPosted: 12 May 2009 21:14 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
Adam wrote:

FI = fuel injection

I do it for two reasons:

1. To scare pedestrians at zebra crossings
2. To impress the chicks

:lol:

PostPosted: 12 May 2009 21:32 

Current ride: CB1300, Z750, R1200
So you were that ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdRGfgI_0tQ

:rofl:

PostPosted: 12 May 2009 22:06 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge