It is currently 29 Mar 2024 05:20

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: The bonding
PostPosted: 23 Oct 2009 02:35 

Current ride: rusty 3-speed pedal
Come on, Mr. Duchman, the tubers are great. Look at the S1: perfect, the pinnacle.

Except for the swingarms.
And the shock.
And the exhaust.
Oh and the forks ain't too great, either.
And you might as well change to a Mikuni 42 carb.
And a new intake.
And don't forget to re-mount the battery.
And many don't like the side stand.
And the paint on the tank bubbles.
And really, the tube frame could do with a bit of reinforcing here and there.
Don't forget to add a catch can.
And swap the oil pump drive gear for '06 phosphorous bronze.
A new brake rotor would be nice, along with some nice braided stainless lines.
Front engine mounts and rear isolators should be changed.
You'll need a primary tensioner.
And a new alternator rotor.
If it's a UK bike, then you really should change to US gearing... and don't forget to put in a detent plate while you have everything opened up.
Of course, your bearings are fooked.

But other than that, they are perfect.
Especially the seat. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2009 02:40 
Motorrad wrote:
Come on, Mr. Duchman, the tubers are great. Look at the S1: perfect, the pinnacle.

And the shock.
And the exhaust.
And a new intake.
If it's a UK bike, then you really should change to US gearing... and don't forget to put in a detent plate while you have everything opened up.

8-)

You forgot the sense of humor and deep pockets.

Nothing to do with Tubers and everything to do with slack arse thinking.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2009 06:28 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
Motorrad wrote:

And the shock.
And the exhaust.
And a new intake.

Which bearings might these be then?

If you buy a secondhand S1 from a loving home, most of this will already have been done on it... And believe me, a ride on an S1 is an experience to behold... :D

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2009 09:45 
arge wrote:
.....and on that note i'm off to try and sus out where my next £1500 will come from...........Arge.

You buying another bike already?

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2009 10:04 
And what a lot of bike you can get £1500
604 rotax CCM's,possibly a T140,,,,
but i've already got a CCM [ex works paris dakar 98 ]
and i jusy got rid of my TR6P
Any way i'd only spend it on somthing else
Arge.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2009 10:54 

THE FLYING DUCHMAN wrote:
Maz wrote:
....no, just an experienced realist :idea:

I do not give a toss if it is a Tuber, XB, penny farthing with a supercharged 400 cubic inch engine or any other product for that matter. Tuber, XB what a bore :roll:. Old time religion.

It is a very well documented and proven fact that some of the early Buells had some serious reliability issues. That was noted in the buying market and was transfered, as it always is, to the newer version of the product.

I think a sorted early Buell is probably a great bike but I do not, then or now, have the luxury of someone who can sort them on my doorstep. It is enough of a problem to get my local HD dealer to give me the same size plugs and, given that it only has two to start with, is a real pain. I do a 140 mile round trip, to The Foundry, because they are the best I can find around here and that is just for an MOT.

I remember, VERY WELL, your comments the first time I came to this site. Cheese this, cheese that or cheese with cheese. You bought an XB "chuck-it in the river" your a moron for buying such a piece of shite. A great endorsement for the brand and only second to saying you get a free bought of "the clap" with your purchase.

I have always wondered why, given your hate of the XB range, you still spanner them. You do not have to. Do you. After all why would you soil your hands with such a poor "not a real Buell" bike.

Maybe, while you sit in your Ivory tower with you bikes and books, you might consider how much your comments have had an effect on those who have wanted to go with the brand.

Reality :?:. I dont do mail order :?:. Fair enough, Dude. Do as you wish its your life. Dont talk business, with people like me who do it, here though because you got about as much idea as "chop-ng cotton". Myself and family have been doing it for more than 60 years.

U-err Mr Grimly. Like I give a Fook.

As you say, you don't work on your bike. Some of us do and I know which one is way easier to maintain - and I've owned quite a few of each type for quite a few years.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2009 11:09 

Motorrad wrote:

And the shock.
And the exhaust.
And a new intake.

There's a lot of truth in what you say here apart from the bearings (tubers have properly designed wheel, and more importantly, crank main bearings) and the seat - my S1 seat is perfectly comfortable, thank you ;)
Now inject a little finnancial realism here, all these upgrades for an S1 would be easy to by a home tinkerer and much cheaper than replacing an entire motor. I experienced this when a XB I owned broke a con rod and trapped a piston between the flywheels. If it hadn't been a Warranty job, then how many thousands would that have cost to flush or replace every bearing in the motor (to make sure debris wasn't in them) and then take it to someone who was skillful enough set up the new crank properly in the cases?
I know which I'd prefer.
It wasn't helped when I phoned the repairing dealer in Chester to ask when my bike would be ready the answer I got was, 'we don't know, your replacement engine (with the correct numbers on it) has been lost'.
I heavily suspect this kind of pissing the customers off had a lot to do with not many Buells being sold, more so in fact, than people who've owned double figures of Buells and have done the majority of repairs out of Warranty, telling the truth about them.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2009 11:40 
Site Admin

TFD ...never read so much garbage in a long time, didn't realise I'd ever tried to discuss business with you ? :roll:

My business has always done really well, thankyou, it does even better now I've sacked the mail order side......and the best bit is that because I dont bullshit people in order to get into their wallet, I sleep really well at night 8-)

I dont hate any Buell, as an enthusiast I'm just desperately disappointed with the XB range......truely the bic razor of the bike world.

If you think I'm not such a clever businessman because I dont blow smoke up folks arses, then that's your opinion but I find that people appreciate honesty......guess it depends whether you're in it just for the money or whether you take pride in your work.

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2009 12:05 
:clap:

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2009 13:04 

THE FLYING DUCHMAN wrote:
.................U-err Mr Grimly. Like I give a Fook.

Clearly........... :rofl:

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2009 13:30 

modern bike builders can't expect to stay in business if they keep trying to use the bikers who pay good money for there product as guinea pigs for there supposedly inuative bikes.

Last edited by greenboy on 24 Oct 2009 07:20, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2009 15:10 

Current ride: rusty 3-speed pedal
OK, no bearings, then. My bad.

And as to my list, what I like about it is that one can work on the bikes for these repairs, maintenance and performance improvements. When online bike forums have how-to's for helpful tips for getting to the sparkplugs of a bike (XB), you know you are headed down a dark, twisted path when it comes to the serious stuff.

It would be a dream (and yes, there are those who would say, "nightmare" :lol: ) for me to own a proper tube-framed, carbeurated Buell, so I could attack it as one would attack a good, old-fashioned American muscle-car. You know, the ones where you can actually get to the engine parts without getting tangled in a bunch of tubing and wire.

Meanwhile, I will just enjoy the hell out of my XB and my Blast, cuz it's what I have fer now.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2009 18:29 
has it got a pulse?

Current ride: FUBAR...Enough said!
Errrr my gearbox output bearing failed :!:
The belt had snapped, and as Maz was taking the bike apart for the new belt-he pointed out the gearbox was locked-I was about to throw in the towel when he said 'Nah, I reckon it's the output bearing"
The bike was already on the stand so I'm guessing but it probably took 25mins to get the box out and confirm the problem-I decided not to throw in the towel then!!
Norm also had his output bearing changed....but thats another story-Eh Maz :?: :twisted: :lol: :lol:

You only need two bikes in life-an S1 and a Multistrada!

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2009 19:04 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
Motorrad wrote:
It would be a dream (and yes, there are those who would say, "nightmare" :lol: ) for me to own a proper tube-framed, carbeurated Buell, so I could attack it as one would attack a good, old-fashioned American muscle-car. You know, the ones where you can actually get to the engine parts without getting tangled in a bunch of tubing and wire.

That's why I love my S1... Tubers are less than half the price your end of the pond than they are here...

Beef wrote:
The belt had snapped, and as Maz was taking the bike apart for the new belt-he pointed out the gearbox was locked-I was about to throw in the towel when he said 'Nah, I reckon it's the output bearing"
The bike was already on the stand so I'm guessing but it probably took 25mins to get the box out and confirm the problem-I decided not to throw in the towel then!!
Norm also had his output bearing changed....but thats another story-Eh Maz :?: :twisted: :lol: :lol:

What? Those bearings only fail on XBs.... :shock:

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2009 19:26 

Current ride: 1991 RS1200 westwind
pash wrote:
Motorrad wrote:

That's why I love my S1... Tubers are less than half the price your end of the pond than they are here...

Beef wrote:

What? Those bearings only fail on XBs.... :shock:

Nope can fail on any model........BUT...........on a tuber are relatively cheap to replace due to the cassette gearbox ;)