It is currently 19 Apr 2024 19:29

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Painting a Uly exhaust
PostPosted: 01 Mar 2021 09:50 

Current ride: XB12X
My Uly gets used through the winter and during last post ride wash I’ve spotted some rust on the stock exhaust which I want to deal with before it gets worse. Last time the exhaust was replaced it was still under HD warranty so no experience in painting exhausts.

Doing a search here suggests switch to stainless (which I’ve had to discount on cost basis) and a few different paints eg Rustins High Heat Paint and Etech XHT Graphite paint.

Are there any other suggestions or tips of what to do/not do when painting or removing/reinstalling exhaust

Thanks

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2021 16:15 

Current ride: 99 Cyclone M2
The problem with painting an exhaust is that it rusts from the inside there are various heatproof paints on the market but I couldn't recommend any in particular, I remember a few folks getting them ceramic coated but that's a temporary solution also.
Stainless is definitely the way to go but as you say mucho expensive......... good luck with whatever you choose :yup:

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2021 18:18 
Site Admin

B+Q BBQ paint !

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2021 20:27 

Current ride: None
Maz wrote:
B+Q BBQ paint !

Yep, in my experience that does seem to hold up well.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2021 21:23 

Current ride: XB9SX
You could try only doing long rides. That should reduce internal moisture. My old Nova car did 165,000 in 8 years without replacing any exhaust bits due to a 55 minute commute to work. My Clio has done 5 years on the same system, but Covid and stand downs may see many of our car and bike mufflers rusting out! :sad1:

You could try taking off the Uly muffler and pouring in a fairly liquified rust treatment, slosh it all around then drain on end, but be prepared for some toxic smoke after. lOl I would suggest something that will lube the exhaust valve pivot rather than seize it or gum it up. l spray half a can of WD40 up and down my XB muffler every time it comes off. It’s not a bad idea to take it off regularly to have a look around and to clean the grit out of the exhaust clamps. For this reason l reversed the two rear exhaust straps so that the clamping nuts are on the left for ease of access. I do the clamps up tight, but only finger tight with a deep 11mm socket to avoid breaking the straps, which can happen. Mine never come loose or break, but then l only have an XB9 and don’t go fast! lOl

I spray the outside of the standard muffler every year mainly for cosmetic reasons. Have used Hammerite black, Wilkinson’s own satin black, and BBQ paint. It seems to need doing every year anyway, so why not just see it as a chance to clean and lube? I bought a can of Johnson’s VHT from Europarts for £6.59 recently, but haven’t used it yet so no report yet! ;)

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2021 21:17 

FFS I’m going senile....it says SIMONIZ on the tin not JOHNSONS! lOl

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2021 08:46 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
edd wrote:
FFS I’m going senile....it says SIMONIZ on the tin not JOHNSONS! lOl

don't know about the " going " bit :ner:

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2021 20:01 

lOl

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2021 11:16 

Current ride: XB12X
Thanks for the suggestions all, looks like I'll be visiting B&Q for some fine sand paper and BBQ paint. :)