PostPosted: 21 Oct 2020 20:34 

Current ride: X1 2001
.....of course with a bigger plate

you can get more dinner on it :eat: :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Plate Size
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2020 20:47 
Milf Hunter

Current ride: '98 S1
I used to run small plates, just changing it for the MOT. Now I can't be arsed. My bike makes 127 decibels at full chat, so I don't need another excuse for a tug... lOl

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2020 04:54 

Current ride: 1991 RS1200 westwind
I can't remember the plate size on muffin , it is legal but because it's only a 5 digit it is a lot smaller than most plates.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2020 09:07 

Current ride: M2 Razorback
at 04:54, kevmean wrote:
I can't remember the plate size on muffin , it is legal but because it's only a 5 digit it is a lot smaller than most plates.

Get some sleep, Kev! lOl
This is key, get a shorter number, 7 digits do not fit nicely on two lines. Keep the font and spacing correct, and trim to the minimum legal margin (11mm).
I have a 6 digit reg. number that has no relevance to me or the bike, but looks compact but not obviously illegal. I didn't even have to buy it as I simply transferred it from a car I scrapped.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2020 10:10 

rik wrote:
at 04:54, kevmean wrote:

Get some sleep, Kev! lOl
This is key, get a shorter number, 7 digits do not fit nicely on two lines. Keep the font and spacing correct, and trim to the minimum legal margin (11mm).
I have a 6 digit reg. number that has no relevance to me or the bike, but looks compact but not obviously illegal. I didn't even have to buy it as I simply transferred it from a car I scrapped.

That's right Rik, I recently discovered myself that there is no legal minimum plate size. The legal requirements are font size and width, letter/number spacing and as you say, 11mm margin. A 6 figure plate, as you say, can be quite a bit smaller than generally available and still be perfectly legal. Question I have, does your typical plod actually know this or not?

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2020 11:22 

Current ride: M2 Razorback
(touching wood) ...well I've not been stopped... mind you it's only been on the road for a week in the past 3 years! Never commented upon at MoT either.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2020 11:34 

Current ride: K100 CBR1000F z550Gt
03 wrote:
Question I have, does your typical plod actually know this or not?

Doesn't really matter, apart from the inconvenience of being pulled over. I remember being pulled over on my chop donkeys years ago. The cop was determined to find something to do me for. He finally said said, "aha, you haven't got a chain guard!" I said "do I need one?" He didn't know, so begrudgingly let me go :)

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2020 15:46 

Current ride: XB9SX
To really wind up the officer you could have quiped: "I am hoping the chain will break and take my head off so that I can join the 'LIVING DEAD.' " (Psychomania 1973) :twisted:

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2020 21:48 

Well that went down well? :?

Recently reviewing the biker movie ‘Psychomania’. A hilariously funny British film of that period......in a dark sort of way!

I suppose ‘The Lost Boys’ would be a more modern US equivalent. 8-)

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2020 23:16 

Current ride: 1991 RS1200 westwind
Bonzo wrote:
03 wrote:
Question I have, does your typical plod actually know this or not?

Doesn't really matter, apart from the inconvenience of being pulled over. I remember being pulled over on my chop donkeys years ago. The cop was determined to find something to do me for. He finally said said, "aha, you haven't got a chain guard!" I said "do I need one?" He didn't know, so begrudgingly let me go :)

Some definitely don't :D A few years ago I replaced the number plate on muffin just because it had started to look tatty , I bought it online because most shops now only stock and make the large plates up, it was bought as a legal plate but was smaller because of only having 5 digits , it had the makers postcode and the bs number on it as well. The next night a group of us were riding to Willingham woods bike meeting place and the Police were pulling in as many bikes as they could for number plate checks and warnings, first mate had bog standard plate on and was told to go , next mate had a small illegal size plate and was just told to change it , then it was my turn and the officer said your plates illegal change it or next time we will prosecute . I pointed out it was brand new and had been bought as a legal plate 2 days before ( I even had to send documents to get it made ) So I asked him why , first reply was it was too small so I pointed out the legal requirements on font size and borders etc , next it was because there wasn't the correct spacing between the X and the 1 , I again pointed out the legal requirement was met. It was then that he had been doing this job for years and could tell it was illegal but seeing as it was just a warning to leave :D :D I refused to go until he proved to me why it was illegal so his next excuse was that the font of the letter B was illegal because it had a small tail to the left at the top and bottom of the B , I pointed out it was a standard font so his reply is no it's not it should be the same as on his police car , so we had a look and his font was identical to mine so he asked me to leave again. lOl I told him I needed to know so I could contact the supplier that had sold me it as a legal plate , his answer is they tell you that to get your money , I pointed out that they don't put their identification number required by law if it's illegal though. He gave up before me and after about 25 minutes just walked off .................. my mates were amazed that he never mentioned my 116db Buell race exhaust system out to me as well lOl

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2020 07:42 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
There are times when if you know you are right , you have to make a stand , then there are other times even if you know you are in the right, it’s just easier to say yes sir ,no sir , let them have their little jobsworth moment and a few minutes later you’re on your way thinking what a dickhead :roll:

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2020 17:33 

Any roadup! Finally got round to the XB’s MOT today. Essential back up vehicle to my car. ;)

My regular MOT chap has been off due to a motorcycle accident :roll: Some said it was his back, while the guys in the unit next door said it was his leg! :? Get well soon. :sun:

So........... :yc: l went to Spa Motorcycles instead. “You want us to test your Buell? Has it got a standard muffler otherwise it’s too noisy?”. :roll: “yes! My ears can’t take noise anymore either! “. ;)

They even put my XB on the rack to check the none adjustable wheel alignment. :hehe:

It passed of course. :yup: