It is currently 19 Apr 2024 09:00

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: My other 1125r
PostPosted: 25 Jun 2020 09:57 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
I know there aren't that many 1125r lovers on here, but I'm gonna do this anyway for the people who are just interested in outcomes.
So my new 1125r runs at temperatures of 85/86c cruising & quickly rises into the 90's to 100+c when moving slower or stood in traffic.
My original one runs at 76/84c cruising & never goes above 94c with the mods I've done to it.
So my conclusion is that some or all of the cooling mods I did worked.
The difference in the engines is the hotter one seems freer revving, gets power from revs, feels a bit more delicate & the engine is noisier.
Whereas the cooler one is much more torquey, just has power on tap, feels more stable engine wise & the engine is much quieter.
The only other variable is the exhaust my original runs the Torque Hammer, My new one runs a HMF, both use the Twin M/Cs ECM which seems to manage both adequately right through the rev range.
My question I'm guessing is?
Should I start with the cooling mods which I know work, or switch the exhausts to check the difference with those?
My own opinion is the exhausts are pretty similar, but there is something niggling me about the free revving & the HMF exhaust, I can't try the HMF on mine as it's still being fixed, although I do have the Torque Hammer hung in my garage & could put that on the new one.
Ah F**k it answered my own question really, do the cooling mods as changing the exhausts will be inconclusive till I can try the HMF on mine.
Sorry guys didn't mean to waste your time, just helped writing the options down.
I'll let you know how it goes.
All the best & have a great day in the :sun: JB

Post subject: Re: My other 1125r
PostPosted: 25 Jun 2020 14:41 

Current ride: 1999 X1
Radiator core corroded? Coolant or oil need changing? Anything else plugging it up?

I'd look at the state of all the pieces in the current system before throwing parts at it. That's the difference between a parts changer and a technician.

And when it's all done right, a couple caps full of water wetter makes it cool better too. Or just use Engine Ice or Redline SuperCool, my favorite.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2020 15:37 

Yeah Thanks Bob,
Just I'm just doing a more structured re-run of what I did to my other one & yes I cleaned the radiator fins as the design of these cowls on the 1125rs means crud builds up inside the very bottom edge of the radiator cooling fins blocking air flow and eventually disintegrating the fins if you don't keep an eye on them. Like you say no point chucking stuff at a job if you ain't gonna bother with the basics.
I think I'm pretty much on top of what I have to do, just reporting (hopefully a little clearer this time) for anyone that's interested.
All the best JB.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2020 15:38 

Thanks Don,
Sorry about putting it in the wrong section, I know you've been doing your best to tidy the site up lately.
Anyway now it's in the right place.
Got the air box off, cleaned all the underside & cut off the ram air section, cleaned the inner frame ready to put heat reflecting tape on & can't find the bloody tape as I tidied my garage up after it flooded the other day. :headbang: God Damn, so just had to order some more & it won't be here till next Wednesday. :(
Still, in the meantime I can make a bracket to re-locate the air temp sensor & get on with plenty other stuff as it's gonna be off the road for a week now.
Cleaning was not a strong point of the previous owner either so it'll give me a chance to get it deep cleaned. Dirty bikes are really shit to work on, spend more time cleaning my bloody hands.
All the best folks. enjoy the :sun: JB.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2020 22:11 

Current ride: X1 2001
no worries Paul :yup:

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2020 22:36 

Current ride: 99 Cyclone M2
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Sorry guys didn't mean to waste your time, just helped writing the options down.

All the time in the world JB, good to tinker :yup:

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2020 00:00 

gusm2 wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:

All the time in the world JB, good to tinker :yup:

Still got the CR gearing conversion waiting for my other one when it arrives back, mainly for the drag strip. I can't believe I got so hooked after just one day, pretty sure you did warn me about that.
Can't believe my original 1125r was heading towards being written off, if it hadn't been for you guys & the advice given, I would've just trusted the wankers who had it, scamming F****r's.
Thanks again to all who offered advice. Due to you I'm getting it back & plenty more sunny days ahead :sun:
All the best. JB.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2020 13:30 

Hi Folks,
I'm guessing everyone is pretty aware of my inability to describe what I'm doing scientifically or even in words most times.
I'm also aware that there was a certain amount of dissent re my explanation of the Ram air system on the 1125r & why I take them off.
So here you go. These 3 pics should show how much taking the Ram air system off my 1125r improves air flow over the engine, through the frame and how this mod contributes to a 10 degree drop & far more stability in the running temperature.
The only thing you have to imagine is the air box base plate which fits snugly onto the frame more or less sealing itself against the frame for 3/4s of it's length & the tube pictured joins onto that. The tube also is shaped to fit snugly to the cylinder head.
Any questions feel free.
Enjoy the :sun: JB

Attachments:
No Ram Air.jpg
No Ram Air.jpg [ 704.92 KiB | Viewed 1696 times ]
Ram Air.jpg
Ram Air.jpg [ 691.88 KiB | Viewed 1696 times ]

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2020 14:54 

Current ride: The wife
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Hi Folks,
I'm guessing everyone is pretty aware of my inability to describe what I'm doing scientifically or even in words most times.
...... These 3 pics

Can't fuckin count either ;)

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2020 15:02 

Correct on all five counts.
:rotfl:

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2020 19:38 

Hi Folks,
New air temp sensor mount, puts the sensor in constant fresh air & keeps it out of the way of hot air from the fans.
This supplies the ECM with the correct air temperature readings rather than false ones based on the hot air from the fans & rising radiated heat from the engine/exhausts, especially when in traffic.
In it's original mounting point it only ever gets the correct readings on start up (until it's warm), when it's moving & when the fans aren't operational.
Hope everyone is well, have a nice evening. JB

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2020 19:39 

Sorry forgot the pic.

Attachments:
Heat sensor bracket.jpg
Heat sensor bracket.jpg [ 693.97 KiB | Viewed 1678 times ]

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2020 22:19 

And the science.

The Intake Air Temperature sensor (IAT) monitors the temperature of the air entering the engine. The engine computer (PCM) needs this information to estimate air density so it can balance air air/fuel mixture. Colder air is more dense than hot air, so cold air requires more fuel to maintain the same air/fuel ratio.