It is currently 19 Apr 2024 12:39

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2020 09:36 

Hi All,
Been self building a house for the last 5 years and so the '97 S3T has been ignored to the point of criminal abuse - sorry! She's been outside under cover and emerged for the first time yesterday. The house has taken all my cash so I would just like to do the minimum to get her running before Maz can advise on the bare essentials.

I didn't drain the tank or roll her around to keep the pistons moving - I know, shoot me. So, first, what if anything, do I pour in the plug holes just in case the rings have locked? Second, the carb is off but I've never cleaned one before and am reading various suggestions from boiling the bits in lemon juice to soda blasting it! Third, do I need to flush the petrol tank out with anything special? Fourth, just change the oil and filter as per normal? Fifth, the rear pot is leaking badly at the rocker so a new set of James gaskets I guess. Anyone know where I could get some under the circumstances?

Ta in advance. :D

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2020 10:08 

Probably start off with a new battery?

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2020 10:11 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
1st try to turn engine , with bike on paddock stand just put it gear and turn back wheel by hand ,if it won't turn, try diesel down the plug holes and leave it for a few days to soak its way around and hopefully down past the pistons.
Once engine turns . change oil and filter , and with spark plugs out , use starter to turn engine over until oil light goes out .
As for the fuel drain the tank , refill and regards the carburettor you might be lucky and 5 years ago the ethanol in fuel was a lot less , case of suck it and see , watch out for needle valve sticking , closed no fuel / open flooding otherwise an ultrasonic clean may be required , slow running jet areas .
Be prepared for a noisy rough running engine for a little while , the hydraulic lifters will have drained down . and whatever inlet or exhaust valves were open may well have a little surface rust on the valve seat areas , hopefully they will self-seal with use to some degree .
Once its up and running check on oil seal areas, it has been known for the seals to dry out and stick to the shaft and once the shaft moves it damages the seal and they leak

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2020 11:03 

Thanks Barney! I'll get onto those suggestions right away and fingers crossed all will be well. :shock:

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2020 11:14 

Don't overlook the most important bits. The brakes.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2020 13:06 

OK 03 thanks. The banjos seem to have lost their plastic coating and now have a coating of light rust but presume that doesn't mean instant replacement?

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2020 21:19 

Current ride: S1W,S2T,1125CR
Bet your paintwork hasn't improved after four years under a tarp lOl Good to see you back, Tim and good luck :)

Steve

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2020 02:19 

S3Tim wrote:
OK 03 thanks. The banjos seem to have lost their plastic coating and now have a coating of light rust but presume that doesn't mean instant replacement?

Myself, I would say the minimum scope would be remove the pads, check pistons move freely, change fluid. Any sign of brake line deteriorating, replace. These days, they're cheap enough to have made. I will be doing so myself soon.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2020 14:46 

Hi Steve, really nice to hear from you again! I see you're in Bucks now. What are you up to down there? Re paintwork - the blistering tank is dire, but it was dire before it went under the tarp :roll:
Otherwise, light rust spots over a lot of the frame but i'm not proud - as long as I can ride it :D

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2020 15:40 

Current ride: S1W,S2T,1125CR
Always was in Bucks, Tim just commuted 65 miles each way to Newmarket every day for 16 years :roll:

Work part time now covering for various dealers when they're short staffed and travelling around bike shows exhibiting for Vintage Rides who run Royal Enfield tours all around the world.

Lockdown has put all this on hold for now so currently enjoying an early enforced retirement :old:

Good luck getting the S3T back on the road. You'll have to introduce it to my S2T one of these days lOl

Steve

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2020 16:42 

Current ride: X1 2001
S3Tim wrote:
Hi Steve, really nice to hear from you again! I see you're in Bucks now. What are you up to down there? Re paintwork - the blistering tank is dire, but it was dire before it went under the tarp :roll:
Otherwise, light rust spots over a lot of the frame but i'm not proud - as long as I can ride it :D

used not polished to death :yup:

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2020 13:55 

Quite right Nutah. Ride the bloody thing.

About the battery 03, you don't think the Odyssey PC545 from 2011 will be still OK? :rotfl:

Is this still the recommended battery or am I well behind the times?

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2020 17:15 

Current ride: 1991 RS1200 westwind
Like others have said , see if the engine turns over ok by removing spark plugs and putting it in gear , there's a very good chance it will be ok , try charging the battery and see if it will , some batteries seem to last forever others seem to fail straight away so worth trying before buying a new one , tip the old fuel out of the tank and put fresh petrol in and try it , if the carb was empty it might even start without cleaning it , if it starts up warm it right up and then change the oil . If all that seems ok check brakes are ok and that tyres aren't getting too old even if they have plenty of tread left .

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2020 18:04 

Thanks for your input kevmean. :yup:

Plugs out and bike in gear, turns over no problem so that's a start.

Even though my Odyssey PC545 battery is about 8 years old, I had completely disconnected it and it is showing 4 volts so I'm going to buy an Optimate 4 at £50 to see if it can be rescued. Worth a punt before spending £120 on a new one and I could do with a smart charger anyway.

I've removed the carb and am going to give it a clean as looking at the jet needle on the vacuum piston I can see it's coated in yellowy goo. :shock: I think I'll see worse in the float bowl!

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2020 02:25 

S3Tim wrote:
Quite right Nutah. Ride the bloody thing.

About the battery 03, you don't think the Odyssey PC545 from 2011 will be still OK? :rotfl:

Is this still the recommended battery or am I well behind the times?

Trying it is the zero cost option. If it's been sitting under a tarp outside for several years it's likely got as much life as a dodo. But you might be very lucky. I have a terrible track record of looking after batteries.