It is currently 29 Mar 2024 05:07

All times are UTC

Post subject: 1125R demo quick Qs
PostPosted: 07 May 2009 22:55 

First off, congrats on the new site - well done to all involved.

I have an 1125R on demo for 3 days. Will do a review once finished but have some initial questions.

NB: this is not a criticism of the 1125R - I reckon I have a very ratty demo but would like to identify its problems...

To put things in context, I reckon this is an early 08 bike and I would be surprised if any recalls/mods have been done.

First off, this bike has a really nasty whine from the transmission(?) when on the overrun. Really very loud, sounds like an old Allegro (don't ask me how I know) when pulling up to the lights. Sounds like it's coming from the transmission, although I guess it could be the rear wheel bearing (bike has 2800km).

This bike has more vibes than my City X. At 5000RPM they are really uncomfortable. It also seems to run out of steam at 8000RPM.

The tube that vents off the passenger left hanger... is that the fuel tank breather? Holy petrol vapours!!!

Rolling off the throttle and then on picking up again, I can feel (and hear) a solid clunk somewhere: suspension, transmission? Wherever, not good.

Ideas on what's wrong with this example? I will pass on to dealer. For sure, as it stands, this bike wouldn't encourage me to buy one (and surely that's the idea of a demo).

BTW. I'm not very technical but there is some sort of leak on the left hand side of the motor - would this be the infamous clutch problem?

Post subject: Re: 1125R demo quick Qs
PostPosted: 07 May 2009 23:07 

The clutch leaks on the rt side. The demo sounds like a bag o' shite. The position of the vent is a recall. My transmission is silent but the valve gear is quite loud on these motors. It should still be pulling hard at 8k rpm.
Buy elsewhere. If the dealer can't be arsed to maintain his demo bike, how much care do you think he'll take with yours :?: ;)

I don't know which dealer your using now but Mchr HD seem to have got to grips with spannering the 1125 and I've had nothing but 1st class treatment from them. It would make sense to buy from them, even if it meant travelling.

PostPosted: 08 May 2009 00:38 

Any ideas what would be leaking on the left hand side? Would this be the primary cover then? And the whining and clunking coming off the gas?

Was happy to be offered a bike for free while mine gets a service (out of warranty) but you're right - shame it's such a poor example.

I should add, I'm in Belgium now... this dealer is my second one over here and an improvement on the last one.

PostPosted: 08 May 2009 13:25 
Have read on BadWeb that some of the early forks can clunk occasionally - never did read what caused it. This leak - are you saying that it is on the left as you are sitting on the bike ? If it turns out to be a leak near your right foot then it is indeed the infamous clutch leak - if it is near your left foot it could be an oil leak and the bike may have been dropped and a cover has cracked.

I don't get any continuous whirrs but do get an occasional rattle which I think is a consequence of having a slipper clutch ...

Like Adam I would have serious doubts about using that dealer as it should pull strongly past 8K up to the red line 8-)

PostPosted: 11 May 2009 14:43 

Thank goodness I had to give that demo bike back.

It was starting to grow on me
:)

PostPosted: 11 May 2009 14:49 

As I said, despite being an obviously very ratty example, the 1125R had more or less won me over by the end of the 3 days: the engine was amazing!

To answer SM, the clunking was definitely coming from either the engine or, possibly the rear shock, but not the forks: I could hear and feel the cluncking from under my seat somewhere.

The leak was on the left foot so possibly oil - more of a mist rather than a full-on leak. The whining was very bad - not sure what was causing that.

Despite all of these, I did enjoy the bike - would love to try a sorted example, and not from that dealer.