It is currently 28 Mar 2024 09:54

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
 Post subject: Re: 1125r Cooling system
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2019 22:05 

Current ride: S1`s
Nutah wrote:
talk to Gus our resident drag racer 8-)

Keep up with it Don . viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23922&hilit=gus+santa+pod

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2019 00:41 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
TOPGUMM wrote:
Nutah wrote:

Yeah thanks, had a couple of PM's from Gus with instructions for mostly everything really. So just going to get on with it TBH. Bikes going well & back on track with the cooling as the fan turned up today. Now I have it physically in my hand I can decide the most appropriate site for it. I can tell already the optimum place isn't where it's going as it won't fit in that space although I haven't tried every option with positioning. It only came five minutes before I went out for the night.

Question for the Techies here,
Will the ECU manage the auxilary relay on a click switch, I believe the relay it's one constant earth & seemingly the ECM does something with a code when it doesn't regocnise the item & connects the earth coil in the relay. Have I go that right? a simple on off switch will make the ECM activate the coil?
Just wondering, as that's what I'm planning, it'll only take five minutes to try. Does the engine need to running to set it?
Thanks in anticipation Paul

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2019 11:37 

Current ride: X1 2001
TOPGUMM wrote:
Nutah wrote:

:old: :old: :old: :rotfl:

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2019 20:04 

Hi Folks,
Day three of the cooling mods.
Fan now fitted, need to tidy the brackets up but it's fitted & feels sound enough.
Refitted the air temp sensor into one of the new brackets as I needed the same bolt hole for the new bracket.
Fan works fine off a spare battery,
Wiring's ready to try tomorrow.

Attachments:
Fan.JPG
Fan.JPG [ 856.02 KiB | Viewed 995 times ]

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2019 18:02 

Hi folks,
Finished this mod now.
Started the 1125r up & let it warm to 80 degrees on tick over, then kicked the fan in, it held the temperature at 80/81 sitting on tick over for 5 minutes after initial warm up. It would normally be up at 87/88 +.
Haven't had a chance to do my very scientific smoke test yet or alter the trajectory of the fan to push the air further over the heads, but at least it all works as I had hoped.
May even yet get out on tonight & see how it works on the road, that'll be interesting, although my missus is pissed that I spent most of the day doing the wiring, so maybe have to wait till tomorrow.
Thanks to those who contributed. :worthy: :yup: .
All the best guys. Paul.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2019 23:04 

Current ride: 1125r, Ducati Darmah
That`s great,well done. Did you lift the rear of the seat ?

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2019 10:42 

al1125r wrote:

Thanks al1125r
Yes, I adjusted the seat pins up 10mm. also adjusted the rear cover with padding so there's an equal 10 mm gap all round. Still looking at altering the undetray to maximise the air flow out of the back. As well as the right side deflector & looking at filling the gap on the left side also.
I'm sure you know this stuff takes time & keeping the bike running in between mods is priority while the weather remains ok for riding.
Just found some scoops yesterday that I can fit on the inside edges of the cowls in front of the radiator fans, towards the bottom of the cowls with hoses leading to the air box up where the ram air funnel used to fit which will still leave a gap for air from the new fan to get over the heads also.
May even re-fit & re-seal the air box inner cover when I've got them done as it will be a much more efficient Ram air system. Or I could route one over the heads & under the air box & one into the ram air.
As usual just experimenting as cheaply as possible, all things can be improved if they work, although they would be made pretty much like this anyway I guess.
Here's the link to the scoops.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202735374895 ... 1436.l2649

Out on it later today so I'll let you know how it works operationally on the road with the fan, gold foil & rear header air guide/heat sink mods.

All the best al1125r Thanks for your ideas & support. Paul.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2019 13:30 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
Jazzbutcher wrote:

I’m sure :maz: will be suitable impressed

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2019 13:49 

Cripes, being mildly curious, I clicked on that Hong Kong Ebay seller page. What sort of a knobhead buys whistles to mount on a turbocharger blow off :roll: :?: I truly must live a very, very sheltered life. Makes me wonder what other total shite you can buy these days :?:

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2019 16:48 

Jazzbutcher wrote:
al1125r wrote:

Thanks al1125r
Yes, I adjusted the seat pins up 10mm. also adjusted the rear cover with padding so there's an equal 10 mm gap all round. Still looking at altering the undetray to maximise the air flow out of the back. As well as the right side deflector & looking at filling the gap on the left side also.
I'm sure you know this stuff takes time & keeping the bike running in between mods is priority while the weather remains ok for riding.
Just found some scoops yesterday that I can fit on the inside edges of the cowls in front of the radiator fans, towards the bottom of the cowls with hoses leading to the air box up where the ram air funnel used to fit which will still leave a gap for air from the new fan to get over the heads also.
May even re-fit & re-seal the air box inner cover when I've got them done as it will be a much more efficient Ram air system. Or I could route one over the heads & under the air box & one into the ram air.
As usual just experimenting as cheaply as possible, all things can be improved if they work, although they would be made pretty much like this anyway I guess.
Here's the link to the scoops.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202735374895 ... 1436.l2649

Out on it later today so I'll let you know how it works operationally on the road with the fan, gold foil & rear header air guide/heat sink mods.

All the best al1125r Thanks for your ideas & support. Paul.

Hi al1125r,
Back to the drawing board, the fan got knocked to bits by the front tyre, I only took the mudguard into account whilst attempting to simulate braking.
I can't believe how close the wheel gets to the engine under full braking, pretty difficult to simulate whilst in the garage but piss easy on the road, Bollocks, that'll teach me. Unfortunately that I guess is the problem with practical experimentation.
The cooling on the rear header worked a treat though as well as the tape as far as I can tell & the wiring & switching works fine.
Experiment No. 2 on the way, just have to find the right fan/s.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2019 22:19 

Current ride: 1125 CR, XT500, 750S
Location: Tiddly village near the throbbing metropolis of Rugby
https://youtu.be/fH3Qq3sBOV8

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2019 22:30 

Current ride: 1125r, Ducati Darmah
That`s a bit of a schoolboy error Jazzbutcher :) To help you work out how much gap you need; I have 10 weight oil in my forks with no change in volume from factory, 12mm of (bike ) Sag, standard springs, and my forks have never compressed any less than 19mm away from the bottom casting.(and that was with the front wheel locked up and the bike standing on its nose.) You can tell from the state of my swing arm how that ended up. Whats important in this situation is not the oil weight or damping settings, but spring rate, preload,and volume of oil. These three will determine how far the fork will eventually compress and also the gap you will need above the mudguard/tyre.
Again I hope this helps. Regards Alastair.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2019 23:36 

Hi Folks,
Whilst looking for Fans I came across these, Spal fans which look very like the 1125r & probably other models. Have a look.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-S ... Sw~oFXFg7e

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2019 00:07 

al1125r wrote:
That`s a bit of a schoolboy error Jazzbutcher :) To help you work out how much gap you need; I have 10 weight oil in my forks with no change in volume from factory, 12mm of (bike ) Sag, standard springs, and my forks have never compressed any less than 19mm away from the bottom casting.(and that was with the front wheel locked up and the bike standing on its nose.) You can tell from the state of my swing arm how that ended up. Whats important in this situation is not the oil weight or damping settings, but spring rate, preload,and volume of oil. These three will determine how far the fork will eventually compress and also the gap you will need above the mudguard/tyre.
Again I hope this helps. Regards Alastair.

Yeah, schoolboy error indeed, I only checked that it missed the mudguard.
I now know exactly how far the forks compress heh heh, so unfortunately I think the fan is too big (deep) to successfully fit in that space, shame as well as I found some brand new very similar SPAL ones pretty cheap. See above.
Looking for smaller one/s that I can fit elsewhere maybe a computer server fan as they're pretty good at air volume throughput & are a lot smaller. It's the heat that's the problem as most are plastic & working temps up to 70c.
Or I can as you suggested, pull air through the frame with one of the above fans, which means pulling warm air through the radiator fans unfortunately. At least that will speed the process up I guess.
We'll see, I'm not downhearted or anything as the process works ok, just a little pissed that I missed such a seemingly obvious problem.
Ah well, Thanks for the info. All the best Paul.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2019 00:08 

Ohsteveo wrote:
https://youtu.be/fH3Qq3sBOV8

:rotfl:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next