It is currently 25 Apr 2024 16:57

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: New Bike
PostPosted: 24 Aug 2019 09:24 

Current ride: Buell S1 Lightning
I have just acquired a Buell S1 from a member on this site (Greenson) I just got home last night rom offshore and the bike was waiting in my Garage as my son received delivery in the early hours, I am looking forward to taking it out a run this morning, I would have taken it out last night ,but the courier forgot to leave the bags with the paperwork and spares so I didnt have the green slip to tax it. I got up this morning still annoyed about having a new bike and being unable to go out on it apart from a cheeky wee shot round the block last night, when I thought I will check my mail just in case and sure enough there's my new V5 ,which I only applied for online on Tuesday when I paid for the bike. This must be the only thing that Swansea are doing right but opens up a door for fraud. I have now paid the Tax which includes paying for Aug which was already paid for by the previous owner, and Im ready to go. I have been reading all through this forum for the last 2 weeks and it would appear that the main upgrades that I have to do are , the Billet engine mount, the uprated primary drive tensioner and the Lucky hand oil pump gear drive. As the bike has a very low milage I am going to use it as is for the next few weeks ,then I will do these upgrades over the Winter, also I may look at replacing the shock in the future as I believe mine was the first recall and there has been something about these breaking, has anyone actually had this happen or is it one of these one broke years ago so we need to replace them all. Finally I would be grateful for info on where to get the gear, the tensioner and the engine mount :D

Kawasaki H1B
Honda 400 Four
Royal Enfield Bullet Diesel.
Kawasaki Z1300 ( current project)

Post subject: Re: New Bike
PostPosted: 24 Aug 2019 11:04 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
welcome ogri211 :yup:
where abouts in the uk are you ?
:maz: the UK master of all things Buell is in Manchester :worthy: and well worth a visit , no bullshit he tells it like it is, good bad or indifferent . has a vast stock of spares , but as a one man band doesn't do mail order, unless you can contact DaveH on here who's local and call's in from time to time and has posted items for fellow members in the past :yup: .
Riders of Bristol supply spares with mail order and at a discounted price if you mention you are from here (UKBEG)
Northants Vtwin are also Buell supporters and hold local bike meeting ( Jake hills cafe A5 Towcester ) :yup:
have a look at the whats on / events and rides for local meet ups

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2019 11:51 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
Hi Ogri211.
As Barney said, take a trip to see Maz, he will cast his eye over it & tell you what's what in a few minutes of you being there.
Well worth the time & effort for sure & you'll get to see an outstanding Buell workshop.
Clean the bike before you go though.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2019 12:16 

Current ride: A black one
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Clean the bike before you go though.

:clap:

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2019 17:37 

Current ride: X1 2001
Engine mount from Andy " Spondon 440 " on this forum :yup:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=22981 :here:

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2019 17:54 

Thanks for the advice ,I am in Glasgow but I have a mate who lives in Manchester I will need to see if he is local to Maz. I went out on the bike today and done about 150 miles, at first going through the town my teeth were rattling and I thought what have I done ,but once I got out into the country onto the windy roads it became apparent what all the fuss is about, the handling was great and the mid range power on the bike kept it going at the sort of speeds I like 60-85 so, so far 10 out of 10 apart from the bicycle saddle, I think I may need to look at getting a Corbin for it

Attachments:
69510060_10219057374882789_328865010199560192_n.jpg
69510060_10219057374882789_328865010199560192_n.jpg [ 100.34 KiB | Viewed 1813 times ]

Kawasaki H1B
Honda 400 Four
PostPosted: 24 Aug 2019 20:24 

:yt: in the town/city is crap :headbang: but once on the open country roads :4roz:
you being up north you will have to try and meet up with mags and clive aka Matron and t965m ( West Lothian) , matron works offshore as well :yup:

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2019 21:22 

Current ride: X1 2001
:sun: nice picture :yup:

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2019 21:51 

I've met Mags before she was on my rig about a year and a half ago I contacted her for advice when I was looking for a Buell.

Kawasaki H1B
Honda 400 Four

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2019 22:26 

You can sort the town riding out but it takes a lot of experimentation, it's easy enough to sort out if you chuck the rule book in the bin.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2019 23:19 

Current ride: M2 Razorback
Jazzbutcher wrote:
You can sort the town riding out but it takes a lot of experimentation, it's easy enough to sort out if you chuck the rule book in the bin.

:? Different tech (or lack of) Jazzer, S1 is carbeetooter.
Best mod to ease urban life, Ogri, is full US gearing if not already fitted.
Nice collection you have there btw

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2019 00:48 

rik wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:

Yeah I know the difference.
I used to think carburettors were easier to get right than injection systems & ECM's.
I know the workings of carburettors a lot better but they both work on the same principles, air, petrol & explosions, just got to work them out.
I grew up using & tuning carbs (that's why I thought they were easier) but I'm changing my mind as injectors are metered and a lot more stable for fuelling.
Carbs have many more variables but are piss easy once you get all the jetting & choke right (that's what I meant by experimentation). The exhaust also only makes a real difference only if the carb/s are set up properly otherwise they are a waste of money.
Anyway, I now think injectors are way ahead of the game as they are controlled by the ECM, once you have a decent map, it's just air & exhaust to suit.
I'm no expert with gearing but it will only make a difference if the carb/s are set correctly whether the gearing is US or UK spec will only change the ratios not the carb mixture.
If the bike is lumpy at low revs the carburettor certainly isn't set up correctly (sorry Greenson).
I'm sure there are others on here that think they know better, listen to them & make your own mind up.
Otherwise go back to standard settings but if it was anything like mine they were shit anyway.
All the best whatever you do Ogri, enjoy the bike.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2019 07:00 

ogri211 wrote:
I've met Mags before she was on my rig about a year and a half ago I contacted her for advice when I was looking for a Buell.

:yup: have a word with Mag's about EM's day and Deliverance just 2 of UKBEG's gatherings :yup: there is also a Scotish gathering held by Norrie viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23658

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2019 10:51 

Current ride: M2 Razorback
Jazzbutcher wrote:
rik wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:

I used to think carburettors were easier to get right than injection systems & ECM's.
I know the workings of carburettors a lot better but they both work on the same principles, air, petrol & explosions, just got to work them out.
I grew up using & tuning carbs (that's why I thought they were easier) but I'm changing my mind as injectors are metered and a lot more stable for fuelling.
Carbs have many more variables but are piss easy once you get all the jetting & choke right (that's what I meant by experimentation). The exhaust also only makes a real difference only if the carb/s are set up properly otherwise they are a waste of money.
Anyway, I now think injectors are way ahead of the game as they are controlled by the ECM, once you have a decent map, it's just air & exhaust to suit.
I'm no expert with gearing but it will only make a difference if the carb/s are set correctly whether the gearing is US or UK spec will only change the ratios not the carb mixture.
If the bike is lumpy at low revs the carburettor certainly isn't set up correctly (sorry Greenson).
I'm sure there are others on here that think they know better, listen to them & make your own mind up.
Otherwise go back to standard settings but if it was anything like mine they were shit anyway.

= you haven't ridden a Tuber around town on both UK and US gearing...
Why don't you just stick to what you actually do know, Jazzer?

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2019 11:59 

rik wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:
rik wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:

= you haven't ridden a Tuber around town on both UK and US gearing...
Why don't you just stick to what you actually do know, Jazzer?

I think you'll find I did stick to what I know. Carbs & now a bit more about injectors.
I did say I was no expert with gearing, but I know for sure that gearing doesn't make any difference to carbs whether it's a tuber or anything else for that matter.
Although I will concede that ratios will make a difference to the power band & maybe you can skip through the shit bit of the carburation, by being at higher revs, but that is all.
You didn't actually mention what the gearing would do, so I didn't comment on what you meant by suggesting that.
Like you said I haven't ridden a Tuber with either gearing but I do know how gearing works on any bike & it has f**k all to do with carb/s.
As far as I am aware Tuber's work the same as any other bike, I will stand corrected if anyone can tell me any different with an explanation why. I'm also pretty sure Ogri would appreciate that also.