It is currently 18 Apr 2024 12:13

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: E10
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2019 19:02 

Current ride: Ducati Monster 950+
Thanks for that :yup:

I guess they just sell, it’s just business to them ;)

In the garage -

2001 X1
KTM390 Duke
Ducati 950 Monster +
CCM Spitfire Scrambler

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2019 20:54 

Current ride: M2 Razorback
t965m wrote:
Whilst I get all the good stuff to the engine, I defo don’t see any more mpg. I generally do put the good stuff in and yes, it does hurt the pocket :o It can be up to 15p a litre more expensive :shock: There’s nowt tighter than an Englishman living in Scotland :yup:

Yes, I know it’s cheaper in the long run...etc...etc :D :rotfl:

Clive, I'll never forget the eureka moment when I first 'discovered' super UL; I could only just get 100 miles to reserve on my M2 (skinny tank), with Shell's finest that leapt to 110. Customers that I've 'converted' generally report 10% increase also.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2019 20:59 
Site Admin

:yt:

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2019 21:35 

Current ride: XB12s,S1WL, Triumph
Still got a bubble free tank 7 years after having painted running it on Esso super unleaded. Must be some truth in the lore

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2019 03:10 

From esso.co.uk -
Quote:
Esso super unleaded petrol (Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97) is ethanol free (except in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area and Scotland). We would therefore advise anyone who has concerns about the presence of ethanol in petrol to use Synergy Supreme+ – providing they do not fill up in Devon or Cornwall, the Teesside area or Scotland.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2019 06:56 

Current ride: S1W,Hype,HP2,R1200RS
DaveH wrote:
Still got a bubble free tank 7 years after having painted running it on Esso super unleaded. Must be some truth in the lore

Didn't work for me.........even with an epoxy liner.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2019 10:01 

I think it might be time I converted to super unleaded. Only ever used it occasionally and not long enough to see any mpg changes

2004 Monster S4R
Wilier La Triestina

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2019 10:32 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
jeznewsome wrote:
DaveH wrote:

Didn't work for me.........even with an epoxy liner.

Same on my Triumph. Blisters appearing where they were before. Not so many I hasten to add. I've read that once it's in there doing it's thing, lining the tank just traps there & it keeps doing it's thing. You have to line a brand new un-used tank for lining it to work properly.
When ethanol gets to 15% + it will also attack the protective coating on bare alloy. My F****n frame/tank is alloy as are many engine components.
The AA & other Organisations are telling the Government it's a really bad idea, but of course the Government wants petrol/deisel cars off the road anyway.
What a boost must be happening in the economy of the car industry? I may take a look at their shares for investment purposes heh heh. Electric is where it's at, we just need shoving in that direction & that's what's happening I guess.
Have a nice day. Paul.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2019 10:49 

03 wrote:
From esso.co.uk -
Quote:
Esso super unleaded petrol (Synergy Supreme+ Unleaded 97) is ethanol free (except in Devon, Cornwall, the Teesside area and Scotland). We would therefore advise anyone who has concerns about the presence of ethanol in petrol to use Synergy Supreme+ – providing they do not fill up in Devon or Cornwall, the Teesside area or Scotland.

Yeah I read that as well & had forgotten, but.
The Esso one just down the road from me in Matlock is 5% ethanol, it says so on the pump, dopesn't say Synergy supreme though just supreme, whereas the one in Chesterfield 10 miles away is free from ethanol, I checked it also doesn't specify synergy supreme, just supreme.
My guess is that station managers have a say, (ethanol is cheaper). The one in Matlock is the one I've been using so far with great results mileage wise.
Meanwhile, now I know, Chesterfield Esso it is for me.
I'll tell you if I see any difference.
Thanks for your attention. Paul.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2019 11:24 

Current ride: Ducati Monster 950+
I'm gonna check for written info next time I top up. Interesting stuff. :yup:

In the garage -

2001 X1
KTM390 Duke
Ducati 950 Monster +
CCM Spitfire Scrambler

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2019 18:26 

Current ride: The wife
What does it do to the fuel tank inners on a XB?

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2019 19:37 

Finmows wrote:
What does it do to the fuel tank inners on a XB?

If you're talking about the frame tanks, nothing as yet, 15% ethanol will start to dissolve the surface skin on the alloy.
There's tons of stuff on the internet, I read loads re my triumph tank & just found a lot of it interesting. Sorry I can't pass on any links, I looked at it a few years ago but I'll see what I can find again, some really interesting stuff regarding what happens to the dissolved materials also & what they can do to your engine. The AA, RAC etc are campaigning now to stop further increases in Ethanol purely on a breakdown basis.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2019 22:21 

In the USA Ducati owners took out a 'class action' and got their plastic tanks exchanged for alloy, when this alcohol/petrol blend turned their tanks to jelly and made them spread and fall off their mounting bosses. UK owners got FA lOl

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2019 23:12 

Current ride: X1 2001
well they bought Ducati's, so it's self inflicted :P lOl

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2019 02:16 

Jazzbutcher wrote:
03 wrote:
From esso.co.uk -
Quote:

Yeah I read that as well & had forgotten, but.
The Esso one just down the road from me in Matlock is 5% ethanol, it says so on the pump, dopesn't say Synergy supreme though just supreme, whereas the one in Chesterfield 10 miles away is free from ethanol, I checked it also doesn't specify synergy supreme, just supreme.
My guess is that station managers have a say, (ethanol is cheaper). The one in Matlock is the one I've been using so far with great results mileage wise.
Meanwhile, now I know, Chesterfield Esso it is for me.
I'll tell you if I see any difference.
Thanks for your attention. Paul.

The obvious lesson then is if the label on the tin doesn't say "Synergy Supreme" then it likely contains ethanol. A veritable minefield that can only get worse. By the way, aluminium alloys are not by any means impervious to degradation by ethanol related issues. It'll be interesting to see if any Holtworks fuel tank clients report future problems. Though I guess no bike such fitted out does much in the way miles these days so we'll never find out. If you check the Esso UK website you can search an area that stocks Synergy Supreme 97+ fuel. There is just one filling station anywhere near me in the UK that stocks it.