It is currently 18 Apr 2024 19:09

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: 14 Jun 2019 21:08 

Current ride: 1125 CR, XT500, 750S
Location: Tiddly village near the throbbing metropolis of Rugby
Jazzbutcher wrote:
barney wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=buell+bell+mouth&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=carbureter+bell+mouth&_sacat=0

contact Thai sell with your requirements/ measurements :idea:

Thanks Barney,

I'd rather chip some out of a piece of billet with a teaspoon than just be plain ripped off.
Thanks again Paul.

Hahahahahaha! Quote of the month!! I have a diamond tipped teaspoon if you want to use it !

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2019 11:09 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
Hi Folks,
Got the originals (standard ones) out of my throttle bodies, looks like I can experiment with making a spacer on my lathe out of alloy to lift them enough for my requirements using the original plastic ones as the mouth.
All measurements for the spacer can be taken from the originals. Need to work out how to fix them together without screwing up the originals so that I can always revert back to them.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the advice/suggestions so far folks.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2019 17:06 

Jazzbutcher wrote:
Hi Folks,
Got the originals (standard ones) out of my throttle bodies, looks like I can experiment with making a spacer on my lathe out of alloy to lift them enough for my requirements using the original plastic ones as the mouth.
All measurements for the spacer can be taken from the originals. Need to work out how to fix them together without screwing up the originals so that I can always revert back to them.
I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the advice/suggestions so far folks.

Remember, pictures or it didn't happen.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2019 17:37 

Not the same engine but..http://www.phaedrus.me/id158.html

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2019 17:56 

Calculator and engine spec sheet at the ready......
http://www.exx.se/techinfo/runners/runners.html

When I worked at Cosworth I remember using an antiquated but efficient flow bench to tune a head and this bench was used on all the F1 engines specifically for variable length inlets (before they were prohibited). How will you evaluate any changes you make Jazz....road test ? I'm sure you have thought about this (too much probably 😁) but if you gain lower down, you'll lose somewhere else.....there are no free lunches!

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2019 19:07 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
https://www.enginebasics.com/Advanced%2 ... ength.html
bit more bed time reading for JB

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2019 19:54 

Ohsteveo wrote:
Calculator and engine spec sheet at the ready......
http://www.exx.se/techinfo/runners/runners.html

When I worked at Cosworth I remember using an antiquated but efficient flow bench to tune a head and this bench was used on all the F1 engines specifically for variable length inlets (before they were prohibited). How will you evaluate any changes you make Jazz....road test ? I'm sure you have thought about this (too much probably 😁) but if you gain lower down, you'll lose somewhere else.....there are no free lunches!

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the graph, unfortunately, (as Maz has already pointed out) I'm not a scientist & work mainly on intuition & past experience. If you asked me how I have gotten to the conclusions I have, I wouldn't be able to tell you, I just know what needs doing somehow.
The spacers will make the entire length of the stacks to 30mm to begin with. I think they may need shortening from that but it's easier to take metal off one end of the spacers than make a completely new set & I will also be able to make further assessments of the changes in band/s after road testing this length, as you'd already guessed.
Judging from the way my engine runs now with the standard stacks, (which are pretty much perfect for the standard air box & linear delivery I might add), however with my set up, the first rev band starts at 5,000 and then at 7,000 it really starts to perform all the way to 10,500 (only ever done this up to 4th gear as it gets really crazy) but the engine feels like it has headroom above this. Hence my efforts to bring the band down to allow me to utilise this headroom.
I'm hoping this length will start the power delivery at around 4,000 & eliminate the 7,000 band altogether. In actual fact, join both bands into one.
This isn't about top speed, more about taking more control of the power delivery.
Stopping the front wheel skipping to the right under hefty acceleration, is another problem altogether.

I didn't know you used to work at Cosworth. Kept that quiet didn't you?

All the best Steve. Paul.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2019 20:09 

barney wrote:
https://www.enginebasics.com/Advanced%20Engine%20Tuning/Intake%20Runner%20Length.html
bit more bed time reading for JB

Thanks Barney,
As always great information & really interesting reading.
The science of it all kind of passes me by unfortunately. Reminds me of school somehow.
There is room for intuition in science but this should also be well documented. I'm really shit at this.
Like I said to Osteveo, I couldn't tell you how I got to this point as I didn't log any of it & my memory is shit as well.
I say it's intuition but believe it or not it's well founded in science, physics mainly I would guess, trouble is only I know how or why heh heh. I think it's called experimentation in real terms.
Thanks again Barney. Paul.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2019 20:12 

Sorry admin, this seems to have turned into a thread rather than a wanted request. :(
My apologies, feel free to move it if needs be. :yup:
Thanks Paul.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2019 22:09 

Thanks Admin,
Once again my apologies.
All the best Paul.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2019 12:02 

Hi again Barney/Osteveo,
I think what I'm doing might be called "Experimental tuning for optimal Torque delivery".
I understand what velocity stacks do as in changing the the timing of the sound waves.
I've used them many times before on a variety of different bikes to pretty good effect to get the correct torque delivery. I've also used gearing to good effect, unfortunately this is more difficult on the 1125r as there are only two standard options, R & CR & of course being belt drive doesn't make it any easier.
I'm starting the stacks at 30mm as this is what they use on the 1190rs, so I guess that's pretty optimal for that engine. My engine is only slightly different on the intake tract & considering the displacement difference. So I can incrementally reduce my stacks in length by 1mm at a time.
If you're wondering why I know they don't need to be longer, that's because I'm trying to bring the torque delivery further down the range rather than further up which longer ones would do, it's too high up the range for me already.
I'm not interested in tuning the engine as in cams/porting etc as this engine is pretty well tuned for my needs anyway. Although I may have a look at the throttle body joints to the head & make sure these are well aligned with no lips or gaskets protruding. These were really shit on my Triumph 955i.

I'd like to add that these mods are only being done to compliment the awesome ECM that I got from Pash (Thanks again Pash). :worthy: I would've been bored of my 1125r by now otherwise.
All the best & take care Paul :yup:

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2019 12:07 

Current ride: S1`s
Just stick some 5* in it.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2019 13:16 

TOPGUMM wrote:
Just stick some 5* in it.

Always use premium to be honest, think thats usually 98%. Not seen 5* for years.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2019 14:18 

Current ride: The wife
Did you not have a Mecanno set as a child?

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2019 15:32 

Finmows wrote:
Did you not have a Mecanno set as a child?

No, Airfix models. Yeah, I know. :yup:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next