It is currently 28 Mar 2024 15:33

All times are UTC

Post subject: Paint advice
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2019 23:37 

Current ride: M2 Cyclone Monster60
Don't know if this is the right place for this question so the Mods can shift it if they wish.
I have finally got round to thinking of a mini cosmetic refurb on the orange M2. A few years ago I did the silly thing of putting a fairly full fuel tank on the bench without chocking up the nose. Result, the front of the tank got petrol leaked onto it and off came the paint, whoops!. I repaired it with a rattle can but the result was not as good as I wanted, so, time now to do the whole tank and bellypan (from an X1) with modern paint. The questions are this, what is the best way of removing all the original paint, (apart from leaving it in a 50 gallon drum of petrol for a few days). Secondly, the belly pan was yellow before I painted it but was it made from solid yellow plastic or was it painted? the previous question applies. I know the tank is polyethylene, same as wheelie bins and I have never seen the need to paint a wheelie bin but I painted the dummy tank sides of my GL1000 trike with ordinary two pack primer, colour and laquer with great success. Are there any forseeable problems or can anyone offer meaningful advice

Attachments:
Trike2 (29).JPG
Trike2 (29).JPG [ 4.42 MiB | Viewed 1440 times ]
Trike2 (14).JPG
Trike2 (14).JPG [ 4.76 MiB | Viewed 1440 times ]

'97 Kawasaki Eliminator 600
'76 Honda CB200
'76 Honda GL1000 Trike
 Post subject: Re: Paint advice
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2019 11:40 

Current ride: S1`s
Your HONDA side panels do not have the fuel behind them to upset the painted finish.
There are problems with painting the cyclone tank. You may get lucky. Plenty about this in the search vaults.
Have a look on Badweather bikers site as there was some one discussing it lately and it may be more up to spec .

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2019 20:00 

Current ride: XB12s,S1WL, Triumph
I can't offer advice on the type of paint to use (I'm not a painter) But......I had my S1 tank painted in the winter of 2012/13 and so far it's remained bubble free. I think I'm the exception to the rule. Also it hadn't blistered prior to painting. I have only run it since painting on Esso super unleaded which apparently doesn't contain ethanol in the bulk of the country. I can get around 200 miles from full to fumes. If I do a long run like jack's hill cafe I plan the route to accommodate Esso stations that sell super unleaded. It's the price I have to pay to keep the paint looking good so I don't mind. I think the painter who is local to me used a sikkens brand of paint but I can always call in and find out if I have to. If yours has already blistered maybe it's time to bite the bullet and give holtworks a bell. Hope this helps ...... Dave

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2019 23:10 

The tank is fine, no blisters at all in the original paint, I was even wondering if I needed to strip it all off or if I could get away with a going over with the DA sander and priming it. I would be interested to know what kind of paint he used though. it is orange and I would like to know if there is any paint code for it, is it Molten Orange or something like that.

'76 Honda CB200
'76 Honda GL1000 Trike

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2019 08:34 

Mine is pearlescent white. If it's never blistered I'd just flat it all off prime and repaint. The PPG code for molton orange is 61876. It can found in the useful info depository here viewtopic.php?f=17&t=9556&p=306890&hilit=Useful+info+depository#p130587

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2019 23:35 

Thanks for that Dave, unfortunately my paint supplier doesn't recognise that code but.....I think he must have had information when he made the rattle can for me because I didn't take any part down for a spectrograph test and I still have the old can!!

'76 Honda CB200
'76 Honda GL1000 Trike

PostPosted: 03 May 2019 11:05 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
Duncan V wrote:
Thanks for that Dave, unfortunately my paint supplier doesn't recognise that code but.....I think he must have had information when he made the rattle can for me because I didn't take any part down for a spectrograph test and I still have the old can!!

Hi Folks,

Sorry to butt in here, but even if the tank hasn't blistered wouldn't it be an idea to line the tank with epoxy/tank liner or something as a preventative measure?
If the tanks are plastic, the ethanol will find it's way through it.
Using Esso Premium does help as the ethanol content is as little as 5% instead of what is now 10% in standard & rising to 15%. You can check this on the actual Pump on the forecourt as it has to be displayed, I know this from conversations on the Triumph site re the same problems.
It's also pretty easy to get the info on the internet.

PostPosted: 03 May 2019 12:50 

Tank moves about a bit , empty they shrink.
No liner will be any good.
I`ve used caswell on metal tanks and it seems great, they state not to be used on plastic/fibreglass tanks. I`d take the advice given.

PostPosted: 03 May 2019 13:53 

DaveH wrote:
I have only run it since painting on Esso super unleaded which apparently doesn't contain ethanol in the bulk of the country. I can get around 200 miles from full to fumes. If I do a long run like jack's hill cafe I plan the route to accommodate Esso stations that sell super unleaded. It's the price I have to pay to keep the paint looking good

Living life on the edge there..............

2004 Monster S4R
Wilier La Triestina

PostPosted: 03 May 2019 17:22 

TOPGUMM wrote:
I`ve used caswell on metal tanks and it seems great, they state not to be used on plastic/fibreglass tanks. I`d take the advice given.

There's a whole Triumph site that would argue with you regarding using liner on the tank, not sure about (Caswell liner) or if the plastic is the same on Buell tanks as Triumph tanks, but I thought the liner formed a shell on the inside of the tank anyway, irrespective of what plastic it was made of? So what you actually ended up with was a tank made of what ever chemical composition the liner was made up of.

All the best Paul.

PostPosted: 03 May 2019 17:29 

conquistador wrote:
DaveH wrote:
I have only run it since painting on Esso super unleaded which apparently doesn't contain ethanol in the bulk of the country. I can get around 200 miles from full to fumes. If I do a long run like jack's hill cafe I plan the route to accommodate Esso stations that sell super unleaded. It's the price I have to pay to keep the paint looking good

Living life on the edge there..............

I plan my routes on how much fun I can have.
F**k everything else.

PostPosted: 03 May 2019 17:42 

Jazzbutcher wrote:
TOPGUMM wrote:

There's a whole Triumph site that would argue with you regarding using liner on the tank, not sure about (Caswell liner) or if the plastic is the same on Buell tanks as Triumph tanks, but I thought the liner formed a shell on the inside of the tank anyway, irrespective of what plastic it was made of? So what you actually ended up with was a tank made of what ever chemical composition the liner was made up of.

All the best Paul.

If you dont know if the plastic is the same I`d not bother. It has to adhere to the tank or it`s just a bag.

PostPosted: 03 May 2019 18:29 

Whatever Dave h does it works because his tank is great.
My experience with painting an m2 manta tank would make you think twice about painting yours, mine had no bubbles on the original tank but had a small amount of road rash on it, dream machine painted it and it kept bubbling, six times they repainted it and had to give up, it's in my garage now and every bit of it is bubbled.
If it's not bubbling leave it alone and buy a holt works one, it will give you less grief in the long term.
Andy

PostPosted: 03 May 2019 18:38 

Current ride: m2 cyclone
Dave h ,how the fook do you get 200 miles ,my m2 with big mantra tank only gets 150 at best ?

PostPosted: 03 May 2019 19:58 

Ha ha ha. Mine only carries 140lbs plus helmet and leathers. Stay off the pies coco and get more mpg