It is currently 28 Mar 2024 18:46

All times are UTC

Post subject: 1125r fork oil
PostPosted: 23 Apr 2019 14:43 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
Hi folks,
I have the forks off my 1125r, I don't have any need to undo the damper rod or anything inside the forks as I simply want to change the oil.
The manual says fill oil to 94mm from the top of the fork tube without the spring etc.
As I'm not removing the spring I can't use this measurement and so only have the drained oil volume from one of the forks to measure which in this instance is 500mls.
Now I can drain the other fork to see if it holds the same amount but am not sure even if it does have 500mls in it, if this amount is correct
Can anyone tell me what 94mm from the top accurately equates to in oil volume?
I've scoured the manual & can't find the volume anywhere only the measurement I've already mentioned, I apologise if it is in the manual & I've simply missed it.

Back to getting the front tyre off now, pulled muscles ahoy. God damn wish I had some spare cash to get someone to do it for me.

Thanks folks. Paul.

Post subject: Re: 1125r fork oil
PostPosted: 23 Apr 2019 15:17 
Site Admin

NO NO NO !!!!......you're wasting your time trying to do forks like that :headbang:

Oil type will depend on your weight, fork spring MUST be removed, fork must be bled properly, fully compressed and air gap set accurately.....volume means nothing.

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2019 15:23 
Site Admin

.....and the manual is wrong, fork oil air gap was increased to 117mm, ref service bulletin B-090.

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2019 15:32 
Site Admin

......and I charge £10 to change tyres, which includes dynamic balancing :roll:

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2019 15:51 

Maz wrote:
NO NO NO !!!!......you're wasting your time trying to do forks like that :headbang:

Oil type will depend on your weight, fork spring MUST be removed, fork must be bled properly, fully compressed and air gap set accurately.....volume means nothing.

Ah. Ok Maz, I'll take them apart tomorrow, Thanks for that.
I'm 12 stone max & was thinking 7.5 weight oil.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2019 15:53 

Maz wrote:
.....and the manual is wrong, fork oil air gap was increased to 117mm, ref service bulletin B-090.

That sounds better, mine have always been hard, I'll make a note of that in my folder.
Thanks again for the info Maz, much appreciated.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2019 15:57 

Maz wrote:
......and I charge £10 to change tyres, which includes dynamic balancing :roll:

Bollox, it's half off now.

Next time I guess.

Thanks again for the advice Maz, much appreciated.

All the best Paul.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2019 09:31 

Maz wrote:

Hiya Maz,

Cap in hand here.

I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew with these forks. I now realise the importance of the special tool you need & I don't want to Bollox anything up by trying to undo the damper rod without the compressor. One fork is complete the other has the oil drained but still together.

Any chance you have time to give me a dig out with these & with the front tyre which is half off but already I'm buggered with my shoulders heh heh? No rush, I know you're busy and I did get myself into this by assuming I might be able to get round the special tool thing.

That'll teach me.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2019 11:31 
Site Admin

If you have a thick enough skin and can stand the abuse.....0161 637 1211

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2019 11:37 

Maz wrote:
If you have a thick enough skin and can stand the abuse.....0161 637 1211

Very Gracious of you Maz.

Yeah I can take abuse as long as you don't call me a Troll.

God damn shouldn't have said that.

I'll give you a ring, any preferred time?

Thanks again Paul.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2019 19:06 

Jazzbutcher wrote:
Maz wrote:

Hiya Maz,

Cap in hand here.

I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew with these forks. I now realise the importance of the special tool you need & I don't want to Bollox anything up by trying to undo the damper rod without the compressor. One fork is complete the other has the oil drained but still together.

Any chance you have time to give me a dig out with these & with the front tyre which is half off but already I'm buggered with my shoulders heh heh? No rush, I know you're busy and I did get myself into this by assuming I might be able to get round the special tool thing.

That'll teach me.

Sometimes, as you have found out, it's a good thing to stop and think before you bugger it up completely. Good idea to stop and get help with it before breaking something.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2019 23:58 

03 wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Maz wrote:

Hiya Maz,

Cap in hand here.

That'll teach me.

Sometimes, as you have found out, it's a good thing to stop and think before you bugger it up completely. Good idea to stop and get help with it before breaking something.

Yeah, I'm still glad I had a go at them.
Stopping myself was easy once I saw the need for the spring compressor, I can see what needs doing & understand how they work, I just can't physically do them.
Going cap in hand to Maz was the best option & lets me meet the man in person, which I'm sure will be a pleasure.
All the best Paul.

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2019 22:34 

Current ride: 1125r XB12X
:yup: