It is currently 25 Apr 2024 21:36

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2019 20:55 

Current ride: 2007 Ulysses
I live near Bury St Edmunds. Is there anyone who can set up the ECU on a 2006 Ulysses with 16.5k within an hour's ride?

Someone before me has 'improved' all sorts of things. Most relevant is a K&N filter with extra holes in the airbox and a Remus can.
I think the bike is running lean - it was jerking around and completely undermining my confidence on roundabouts. My guess is that the ECU was not attended to after the mods.

Saw a video where a guy said: older Buells burn lean - lean is a slower burn - ECU advances ignition to compensate - detonation leads to engine damage.
In the light of this I have retarded the ignition a little. It has smoothed the bike out a bit but it is far from fixed. Hopefully there are fewer dangers to the engine using this strategy.

I now have to decide whether to embark on investing in a Buelltooth and begin (what appears to be) the complex and difficult journey of learning how to use the thing. Or find someone who knows about this stuff.

I would prefer the latter option but your advice much appreciated.

Thanks in advance (no pun intended)

Paul

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2019 21:05 

Current ride: X1 2001
talk to Pash he is the Buell ECU whisperer :yup:

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2019 21:12 

Current ride: CB1300, Z750, R1200
Buells do not run lean. In closed loop the mixture is stoich, in open loop operation the exhaust gas is monitored for lean conditions too. And the ECU does not adjust ignition depending on exhaust gas.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2019 05:24 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
might just need a new set of plugs and a TPS reset , the ecu is a learning ecu and will adjust to any simple mods ( air filter exhaust ) just need to get it warmed up and take it for a steady ride so the ecu can see what's going on and adjust things (mixture correction )