It is currently 19 Apr 2024 12:12

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9 10 Next
PostPosted: 22 May 2019 01:09 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
edd wrote:
I’m not sure what l did there, but l got a ‘gateway time out’ message as l edited the text. :?

Another forum l read suggested that more realistic tuning results for the 1149cc 8v would be an increase from 60 to 66 bhp and from 69 up to 76 lbs ft. That sounds more likely. Peak torque is produced at only 2500 rpm or about 50mph in top, but it still helps to wind it up. The torque curve is very flat! ;)

A bit asthmatic then by today’s standards, but sometimes on a cool damp morning the motor makes some nice turbine like noises Through the K&N in the air box and the car rushes away surprisingly quickly given it’s ridiculous weight. It’s so heavy l can hardly push it, whereas l could run along side then jump in and bump start my 1389cc Nova lump on my own! :shock:

Some forums suggest that taking out the weight of the Clio’s rear seats, belts and trim is as good as another 6bhp anyway! lOl

Are you getting a power increase with the system adapted do you think?

PostPosted: 22 May 2019 07:42 

Current ride: XB9SX
Yes l think power is up......but only in certain conditions. Just with the K&N and no extra intake snorkel the power is up when atmospheric conditions are right, but not noticeably better than the standard filter when the air is warm and dry. The new intake seems to help in those conditions, but only to a point.

As l was saying; when l go fast at a constant speed it feels like there is too much cooler air going in for the existing fuelling to match and the car feels reluctant to accelerate. At those times the standard car probably makes more power when l give it more throttle near to top speed ( on a private airfield that is lOl ).

Yes l need to get it to a tuner with a rolling road and wind machine. Difficult and expensive, so l will try to moderate the airflow until it runs better. It will probably run better with my new snorkel if l block off the existing vents in the cars front undertray. Then tuning to the correct intake size at the front bumper might prove easier. Winging it! ;)

PostPosted: 22 May 2019 08:38 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
http://www.challengers101.com/IntakeTuning.html
http://www.engineknowhow.com/the-intake ... nd-tuning/

PostPosted: 22 May 2019 10:12 

barney wrote:
http://www.challengers101.com/IntakeTuning.html
http://www.engineknowhow.com/the-intake ... nd-tuning/

Top Info Barney Thanks,

Osteveo pointed me in the direction of the IAC Valve so I've been looking at what that does, can't work out if it's a physical moving switching process or electronic (there's mention of cleaning this on various sites) but not enough detail to know what to do. But whilst I had the air filter box off I noticed that the Pipe (vacuum?) that goes from inside the air box to the IAC valve wasn't fitted correctly. (That was me :dance: ).
The manual specifies that this pipe should stand proud of the air box bottom by at least 10mm, I had fitted it flat against the surface, (Hope), this had also caused the pipe not to seat correctly on the throttle body connection, it wasn't bad but (Hope). So I corrected those & went for a run to Sheffield 20 miles.
Still did the revvy thing whilst cold, One main difference on the run was burbling/slight popping through the exhaust on the over run, it did this most of the Ride to Sheffield. It also felt a little rougher at low rev speeds & pick up at low revs was different (Stumbling) (bit of a delay or something).
Coming back it felt like it was settling a little, seemed to have better pickup from low revs and was definitely a bit livelier. (I'd just seen my Father in law so may have been giving it a bit more stick ha ha) probably why it felt better. Managed to get a few wide open moments and by the time I got home the burbling from the exhaust was diminishing, popping had stopped.
I'll try & get out today & give it some more time to adjust if it indeed that's what it's doing.
Finally another TPS to settle that as well & see how it goes from there.
Pleased to be learning and thank you very much for the docs Barney.

PostPosted: 22 May 2019 15:57 

A parallel thread running here!? lOl

I had to make a dash down the motorway in my Clio today so tried the baffle a another setting. With the baffle angled downwards the bulk of the air is directed against the incoming vents at the base of the 'ante-chamber'. This probably moderates the air flow in. The rear of the baffle is drilled with many small randomly placed holes. This was to reduce pressure on the plastic and I figured the randomness would increase turbulence. The cross sectional area of all these small holes mean that there is still more than enough to supply the motor.

Any road up, the performance was different to much better than before (although it was warm and muggy today). The car rushed up to 80 or 90 moments after leaving the slip road and seemed to respond well to a boot full of throttle. The last bit of throttle really pumps in the fuel, but there still seems to be an maximum where there my be a bit too much air. The car responds better when accelerating, and this may be because the extra fuel is countering the leanness!? ;)

PostPosted: 22 May 2019 18:24 

edd wrote:
A parallel thread running here!? lOl

I had to make a dash down the motorway in my Clio today so tried the baffle a another setting. With the baffle angled downwards the bulk of the air is directed against the incoming vents at the base of the 'ante-chamber'. This probably moderates the air flow in. The rear of the baffle is drilled with many small randomly placed holes. This was to reduce pressure on the plastic and I figured the randomness would increase turbulence. The cross sectional area of all these small holes mean that there is still more than enough to supply the motor.

Any road up, the performance was different to much better than before (although it was warm and muggy today). The car rushed up to 80 or 90 moments after leaving the slip road and seemed to respond well to a boot full of throttle. The last bit of throttle really pumps in the fuel, but there still seems to be an maximum where there my be a bit too much air. The car responds better when accelerating, and this may be because the extra fuel is countering the leanness!? ;)

Hi Edd,

Everything feels better when it's accelerating heh heh.

Same thread different area, sorry Edd.

Those sites Barney posted are worth a look though, good information.

PostPosted: 22 May 2019 19:40 

Current ride: 1125 CR, XT500, 750S
Location: Tiddly village near the throbbing metropolis of Rugby
JB the IAC is a servo motor that is controlled by the ECU using various inputs which adjusts the air into the throttle bodies using a bypass plunger. Can be worth cleaning.... the hose that was fitted poorly is the clean air feed that ultimately is fed to the throttle bodies.

PostPosted: 22 May 2019 23:39 

Ohsteveo wrote:
JB the IAC is a servo motor that is controlled by the ECU using various inputs which adjusts the air into the throttle bodies using a bypass plunger. Can be worth cleaning.... the hose that was fitted poorly is the clean air feed that ultimately is fed to the throttle bodies.

Thanks Steve, good information. Servo/plunger sounds like a tiny piece of grit would F**k that all up & probably it needs cleaning. I'll let it settle for another day and give it another blast first, didn't get out on it today so not sure how much it'll improve on the next ride if a all.

If not, I'll get Air box off again and get the IAC cleaned, I can totally block off the RAS at the same time, may even try Edds thing & line the bottom of the air box with heat shield as well. May as well try all of this stuff while I'm in there.

Also looking to modify the Heat guide above the right footrest to get it to guide air differently, lot of the heat that comes over the cylinder heads/cylinders gets guided onto & through what gap there is between the swingarm & engine & onto the top of the exhaust can, now that could do with funneling out of there a bit better I think & shouldn't be so hard to do.
I'll keep you up to date.
Thanks again for the info. Paul.

PostPosted: 23 May 2019 00:07 
Site Admin

Live data will tell you what the IAC is doing......fuck it, you guys never listen anyway cos you're all hard of thinking :headbang:
Promise I'm never visiting this thread again.....morons :roll:

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 23 May 2019 07:35 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Ohsteveo wrote:

Thanks Steve, good information. Servo/plunger sounds like a tiny piece of grit would F**k that all up & probably it needs cleaning. I'll let it settle for another day and give it another blast first, didn't get out on it today so not sure how much it'll improve on the next ride if a all.

If not, I'll get Air box off again and get the IAC cleaned, I can totally block off the RAS at the same time, may even try Edds thing & line the bottom of the air box with heat shield as well. May as well try all of this stuff while I'm in there.
[/color]
Also looking to modify the Heat guide above the right footrest to get it to guide air differently, lot of the heat that comes over the cylinder heads/cylinders gets guided onto & through what gap there is between the swingarm & engine & onto the top of the exhaust can, now that could do with funneling out of there a bit better I think & shouldn't be so hard to do.

one thing at a time JB or you will not know what's made it better or worse

PostPosted: 23 May 2019 09:47 

barney wrote:
Jazzbutcher wrote:
Ohsteveo wrote:

[/color]

one thing at a time JB or you will not know what's made it better or worse

Thanks Barney, yeah I know your right, just getting ahead of myself.
Focussed on the IAC at the moment.
The other things are just improvements I can get on with after eliminating this.
I think you get what it's like Barney, once it's done it's a bit boring.
Keeping myself interested is what it's about, this cold start thing's hardly even bothering me, all I have to do is let it warm through before riding, which is always a good idea anyway, it's just something for me to sort out.
Anyway good advice one thing at a time. Thanks Paul.

PostPosted: 23 May 2019 10:08 

Maz wrote:
Live data will tell you what the IAC is doing......fuck it, you guys never listen anyway cos you're all hard of thinking :headbang:

Thanks Maz,

I can only speak for myself, but I can't help seemingly being a moron to you.
I haven't had the benefit of your training or of running a Buell business for a lifetime.
F**k I only got a Buell last July.
Go a bit easier on us mere mortals Maz we're only trying shit out.
I DO NOT HAVE YOUR VAST EXPERIENCE & THAT ISN'T A FAULT ON MY PART.
Don't stop reading Maz, I know it pisses you (and others) off when I'm stumbling around in the dark, but that's my learning method (Unfortunately).
Thanks for the info on the IAC though, that is a great help & as you can see the info got through this time because I'm that point where it matters. Sorry that's just how I am.

All the best Paul.

PostPosted: 23 May 2019 17:38 

Maz wrote:

And meanwhile the Hifi thread sits sadly neglected.........

2004 Monster S4R
Wilier La Triestina

PostPosted: 23 May 2019 18:24 

Current ride: 1125 CR, XT500, 750S
Location: Tiddly village near the throbbing metropolis of Rugby
Maz wrote:

"Morons"....I reckon that's a bit harsh Maz, if you're reading this.

PostPosted: 23 May 2019 23:22 

conquistador wrote:
Maz wrote:

And meanwhile the Hifi thread sits sadly neglected.........

Meanwhile my Walker sits sadly in bits. lOl

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9 10 Next