It is currently 29 Mar 2024 13:31

All times are UTC

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2018 10:33 

Current ride: 1125 CR, XT500, 750S
Location: Tiddly village near the throbbing metropolis of Rugby
My bikes are stored in a garage with a concrete floor and I usually park with the wheels on carpet but with the onset of colder weather I'm concerned about flat spots on the tyres.....( I recently moved my trailer and noticed these had them so took action by jacking the trailer off it's wheels ).

I have been looking at getting a pair of paddock stands for the 1125CR which will of course also help with maintenance : the rear has bobbins fitted but I'm unsure of the best type to use.

Bobbin hooks for the rear or pads on the swinging arm? Under head stock lift for the front or under the fork legs?

Any one have any recommendations other than ride more often and park less, you big girl :) ?

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2018 11:34 

Current ride: Buell 1125R
HI folks,
Standard rear lifters won't fit, I've got 3 and none can even be made to to the job as they are just too narrow. The only other buell owner I've spoken to in the flesh said he used a front yoke lifter on his Uly & it bent after the first time of use. May have been cheapo though.
By the way pads on the swingarm won't work unless they are V shaped to hook the corners, otherwise they will slide, I've tried this & had to wrestle myself out from under the bike hence the new mirrors on mine.
You can fit bobbins on yours as it's the CR, use hooks for security. Used them on my Triumph all the time & was able to move it around whilst on them.
Whatever you decide, do not try to lift the bike over on the sidestand, the Buell weight centralisation just rolls the bike forward off the stand. I used to do this on my Triumph without any problems but the Buell is impossible to balance correctly.
I'll be watching this thread for recommendations also. Thanks for raising it Ohsteveo.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2018 11:41 

Current ride: K100 CBR1000F z550Gt
Ohsteveo wrote:
Any one have any recommendations other than ride more often and park less, you big girl :) ?

That does sound the obvious solution. The less obvious one is that is there really a problem? Can't say I've ever noticed a bumpy ride even after a year or so parked on cold concrete :?

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2018 12:52 
Site Admin

I use bog stock rear stands with rubber cups.
Fork lift stands will need modifying due to different length forks and if using pin location type, remember to cut the RH pin down or you'll take the thread off the spindle.

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2018 21:55 

Current ride: 1125 CR, XT500, 750S
Location: Tiddly village near the throbbing metropolis of Rugby
Maz wrote:
I use bog stock rear stands with rubber cups.
Fork lift stands will need modifying due to different length forks and if using pin location type, remember to cut the RH pin down or you'll take the thread off the spindle.

Good tip about the RH pin...cheers!

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2018 22:15 

Current ride: 1991 RS1200 westwind
Micron rear stand , stood on and spread to the correct width and home made front stand.

Attachments:
stand with handle.jpg
stand with handle.jpg [ 196.72 KiB | Viewed 751 times ]
stand fitted to CR.jpg
stand fitted to CR.jpg [ 113.37 KiB | Viewed 751 times ]
stand right view.jpg
stand right view.jpg [ 105.41 KiB | Viewed 751 times ]
stand left view.jpg
stand left view.jpg [ 98.93 KiB | Viewed 751 times ]