It is currently 25 Apr 2024 21:58

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2018 10:09 

Hi All
Its a long time since i have been on here.
I've had an on off on relationship with Buells for quite a few years.
Started with an XB12R firebolt then went to the 1125R then back to a Firebolt again!

I loved the Firebolts, just the right mix of great handling with old school engine and tons of character.
The 1125R wasnt a bad bike but although more powerful than the xb12r it lacked it's character in my opinion.

Sadly i sold my last Firebolt over 18 months ago and got a Rocket 3.
Another great bike but i miss my buell!

The Firebolts seem to be getting harder to find but I know somebody who might be selling a (relatively) low mileage 1998 S1 White Lightning.

So question is If i'm a Firebolt fan will i like the lightning?
Has anybody ridden both bikes and can comment on a comparison.
Any feedback appreciated.
Thanks
Stu

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2018 21:25 

Current ride: XB12s,S1WL, Triumph
I've never ridden a firebolt. But I have a XB12S and a S1 White lightning. The XB can be best described intuitive. I can put it millimetre perfect into the apex of a corner. It's best on flip flop s bends. It's weight is lighter and lower down and also stops better. The downside is it runs much hotter in warm weather. Uncomfortably so. The S1 has an ast rear shock on so is better than the standard set up. It's best on constant radius corners. Preferably big sweepers. The weight feels higher up specially when the manta tank is full. It runs cooler with the engine being uncovered. Oh and it looks better. I'd hate to be without either but they are like chalk and cheese. If you want a more modern bike feel and like carving the corners choose a bolt. If you want a more relaxed feel better cooling and looks and easier to work on choose the S1. Another thing to factor in is the bubbling tank paint that S1s can suffer from. Once it happens the only permanent cure is a holtworks ally tank colour matched like Jez Newsome has on his. Luckily I've not been affected by this yet. Hope this helps a bit............Dave

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2018 22:48 

Current ride: m2 cyclone
Ive got a bolt and an m2 cyclone ...slightly different to an s1...but as dave says the xb run hot but are more urgent and scratch better......get one of each :yup:

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2018 08:59 

Current ride: X1 2001
i had an XBR ,i now have an X1 :mrgreen:
i enjoyed both .
your money your choice :yup:
good luck

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2018 13:34 

Current ride: K100 CBR1000F z550Gt
Just met a bloke with an 09 XB12SS. Gave him a go on my 98 S1 Lightning Strike (a red White Lightning)and he loved it and wants it (but he's not getting it) :) Different to the XB, he described it as heavier in the front, less precise, and just "raw".