It is currently 19 Mar 2024 04:25

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Buell-S3T
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2018 12:36 

Current ride: K100 CBR1000F z550Gt
nigelbread wrote:
i was offered an Ariel red hunter for £10 and turned my nose up at it!
less than one weeks wages!

Well that has to be AT LEAST 40 years ago. In 40 years time most, if not all, of us on here will be dead lOl

Not to mention they only cost 58 quid new

Attachments:
1937-Ariel-Red-Hunter.jpg
1937-Ariel-Red-Hunter.jpg [ 259.24 KiB | Viewed 1184 times ]

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2018 15:24 

Current ride: .....
nigelbread wrote:

Well that has to be AT LEAST 40 years ago. In 40 years time most, if not all, of us on here will be dead lOl

Then how much will the buell be worth ? [if it is still going]
40 years ago is as far back as i am admitting to.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2018 20:45 

Current ride: X1 2001
:yup:
a good question...allowing for the general attrition rate with chopper/bobber perversions
they must be going up in value,so who knows really ?
old British bikes, they panned price wise, then climbed like a Saturn 5 rocket
mines worth millions, well to me anyway :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2018 23:24 

Nutah wrote:
old British bikes, they panned price wise, then climbed like a Saturn 5 rocket
mines worth millions, well to me anyway :mrgreen:

This one here is being advertised at +/- 5,700 quid, at a guess I would say that it cost more than that to get to this state:-

https://www.tradingpost.com.au/Automotive/Motorbikes/Motorbikes-For-Sale-/Ariel/Red-Hunter/Ariel-Red-Hunter/Coffs-Harbour/NSW/AdNumber=3KHJC4

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2018 09:03 

If we are talking about bikes appreciating look no further than the rd350lc 37 years old and look how much the prices of a decent one has escalated , if you look at Buell,s especially proper ones you are looking at 20 to 24 years old so really they have a long way to go before they sell for more than they were new , the mans s3t is a very nice looking bike and I do think in time to come may be a better buy than a s1 because of its rarity :yup:

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2018 10:29 

v2bul wrote:
If we are talking about bikes appreciating look no further than the rd350lc 37 years old and look how much the prices of a decent one has escalated

Yeah but, as I was intimating with the restored red hunter ad, to get a 37 year old RD350LC into decent condition will probably cost more than you can sell it for, especiallly if you costed in your time. Old bikes in decent condition have generally had more spent on them than they will sell for. They may look like an investment, but they're not really.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2018 10:44 

Bonzo wrote:
v2bul wrote:
If we are talking about bikes appreciating look no further than the rd350lc 37 years old and look how much the prices of a decent one has escalated

Yeah but, as I was intimating with the restored red hunter ad, to get a 37 year old RD350LC into decent condition will probably cost more than you can sell it for, especiallly if you costed in your time. Old bikes in decent condition have generally had more spent on them than they will sell for. They may look like an investment, but they're not really.

yeh but don't let the head rule the heart :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2018 11:44 

Nutah wrote:
yeh but don't let the head rule the heart :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Agreed, but don't expect to make any money, either now or in twenty years time lOl

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2018 13:20 

After saying all that, there was a guy, a bin man, who lived across the road from me when I was a youff, who was into Vincents. He had 3 of them in his front room, in a two up, two down terraced house, (plus two huge alsation dogs), almost never rode them. I recently heard that he's now sold them, for about 40K each. I guess that's his pension sorted :)

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2018 16:07 

Current ride: ULYSSES XB12X
, if you look at Buell,s especially proper ones

errrm I know I am new to Buells but if it says buell on the Tank and was produced by Buell is it not a Buell, or is there some sort animal farm concept where all Buells are equal but some are more equal than others?

I had a 50's Arial Red Hunter in the early 80's a very nice bike used to potter down the narrow high streets and gently nudge the advance/retard lever and listen to the odd backfire resonate off the walls :mrgreen: Wish I had it now along with a host of other machines that have shot up in price.

I remember in the late 70's outside Copes motorcycles in Wolverhampton watching blokes throw old brit bikes down the cellar with the remarks don't wont this shit anymore "Hindsight is a wonderful thing"

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2018 17:48 

Bonzo wrote:
After saying all that, there was a guy, a bin man, who lived across the road from me when I was a youff, who was into Vincents. He had 3 of them in his front room, in a two up, two down terraced house, (plus two huge alsation dogs), almost never rode them. I recently heard that he's now sold them, for about 40K each. I guess that's his pension sorted :)

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2018 19:07 

Current ride: m2 cyclone
If im still alive in 40 yrs time ill probably have forgot ive got them or had them :old:

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2018 23:46 

Current ride: 97 M2, 09 XT
Only went down the restoration route once and it nearly bankrupted me. Bought a running 1929 Enfield model B (some 12 year olds were using it as a field bike), it was running and mostly there so I thought it wasn't a big project.
Turned out to be a pre production model and had bits on it that did not make onto the 1930 models, there was a large gauge set in the tank that ended up having to be properly restored, that cost me about half the value of the bike (when sold through necessity).
You do this sort of thing for the fun of doing it, that bike nearly cost me the shirt off my bike to finish, then sold it at a massive loss to try to clear the debt.

My old Buell, yes I've spent time and money on it, more than I'll ever recoup, but I still consider it a bargain. Had the bike nearly 20 years now, think how much it has saved me in that time. I have not bought those 10-15 other bikes I would have, not brought those bikes up to scratch, not made a loss on every one, my Buell is has been a bargain.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2018 11:11 

Current ride: M2 Razorback
CHURCHILL wrote:
, if you look at Buell,s especially proper ones

errrm I know I am new to Buells but if it says buell on the Tank and was produced by Buell is it not a Buell, or is there some sort animal farm concept where all Buells are equal but some are more equal than others?

Good analogy. And of course you're right.
Ask yourself these questions:
Were late AJSs 'proper' AJSs or just rebadged Matchess?
Was the 1980's Matchless G80 a 'proper' Matchless (with its Rotax engine)?
Are the Bloor Triumphs 'proper' Triumphs?
Is the new Brough a 'proper' Brough?
etc etc etc
I think it all depends on your standpoint. If you have an oldie of any of these marques, I suppose you might well regard newer models as 'not proper', especially if there had been a subsquent break in the company's history or a complete change of direction, or directors (ie a takeover).
We Tuber owners know beyond all doubt that our bikes are 'proper', whereas the Fuellers were built down to a price at the MoCo's insistence are not ;) .
Perhaps EBRs are more 'proper' as they were built back under Erik Buell's direction, away from HD's bean-counters, interestingly without the Buell name on the tank?
Or maybe the only 'proper' Buells are the earliest race bikes that he built for himself, when he had no corporation pulling his strings...
Discuss. :eat:

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2018 17:23 

:yt: TBH Rik
most of it on here is banter IMO
mixed in with varying levels of personal experience or tales of woe, we all are guilty of moaning about failures in a greater amount,than praising when all behaves correctly.
i have owned the XB & the X1, my reasons for change were down to,back & knee problems :old:
i was fortunate to be able to try them both then make my decision.
all piss taking aside i do like the XB ,but i love the X1. :sun: