Back in 2010 as my Xb9 Buell replacement I got a GS coz everyone was raving about them, the test bike was ok but nowt special, the one I had was no where near as torquey as the XB and the quality of ride very poor at a anything past 4k revs, it was used every day in all weathers and was cleaned each night but still the engine and frame started to disintegrate after only 3 months, the service guy was very good but the dealer management were the worst yet, their attitude was shocking and treated us lot as scum. Anyhoo, got a KTM adventure now and it is a vast improvement but still my 06 Uly is the one that makes me smile. The point is, I have been trying bikes with my old S3T and XB as reference and nothing even comes close, when each bike is tested as its own character then there are some good uns out there that I haven't given enough unbiased attention to. Have since ridden the new GS adventure and what a big difference that is, could be the new water-cooled head system or just me seeing it without constantly rating it against a Buell.
Good write up though Pash, thank you.
You flatter me so... However, I am thankful for your input, I really am. I am struggling with the whole 'do I really know what a good bike feels like?' thing.
My S1 does need some TLC (including exhaust gaskets) BUT it:
1. Has stacks of torque low down
2. Is svelte and can filter like a push bike
3. Does 71mpg on a 'not hanging about' run (with my ignition map on the Dyna 2ki and my jet selection)
4. Is simple in design and maintenance
5. Is not pretending to be something it isn't
And I am only comparing to my S1 as that was the one that my heart wanted to ride to the BMW dealership when I opened the garage...
Maybe I should have taken the Firebolt which:
1. Handles like a dream and is a far bigger adversary to anything I can throw at it
2. Has stacks of torque low down
3. Is svelte and can filter like a push bike (if I fold the mirrors in)
4. Will do 70+ to the gallon (with my super maps
5. Is easy to maintain
6. Is not pretending to be something it isn't
I had a PM to tell me that people rave about their BMs because their Buells are 'not very good'. I had another to say it is because they have splashed the cash and don't want to admit the bike is not as good as they thought it would be.
I would love a go on yours Ferris or ATT, as yours sounds like they are good'uns. I'd also like a go on your XBs.
I would like a go on a Husky Nuda too (Adam) to put me on the right page...