It is currently 28 Mar 2024 09:34

All times are UTC

Post subject: Insurance
PostPosted: 28 Jan 2017 22:11 

Current ride: XB12SS
Not sure I'm in the right place for this question and I don't know how to search the forum. Sorry.

Any tips on the best insurance company? Most Buells seem heavily modified and this seems to put off some insurers.

Post subject: Re: Insurance
PostPosted: 29 Jan 2017 06:57 

Current ride: 1125r XB12X
Can't go wrong with this guy:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-in ... -insurance

What mods do you have to declare?

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2017 10:48 

Current ride: XB12SS
That's a great link, thanks. I've not had bike insurance for ages, so there were some companies there that I hadn't heard of!

I haven't got my bike yet, but every one I look at seems to be modified in some way.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2017 12:14 

Check very carefully those 'six wheel' policy type things. After the cheap(er) introductory year, they bung up your premium and you may well want to revert to two discrete cheaper policies. In this case, the 'six wheel' policy NCD may only be accepted by one of the new insurance companies, effectively meaning that you will have to start one of the new policies with zero NCD. I may well be wrong about this, but it's worth checking. Always bear in mind when dealing with insurance Co's, they are utter scum once they've got your money :x

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2017 12:42 

Current ride: S1w X1 1125CR
Be careful with the legal protection policy that you may want to take out on top. Sounds all very reassuring but the solicitors they appoint may well not give a toss about representing you if they can not make a big chunk out of it or you are not 100% of a win. You can appoint your own solicitor though, don't let them tell otherwise.

In 2002, after my bike 'accident' it took ages with the appointed solicitors (big outfit) to actually consistently refer to the correct, date/case/ incident etc. By the time it got to barrister level they backed out once it became less than obvious that I would win the case.

I was in County Court last week to claim uninsured losses against a transport co. white van man's insurance company. (incident 2015) The legal protection solicitors appointed wouldn't take case on as said it would go 50/50, but I pushed via my own insurers. The defendant didn't show up. It was just me, my barrister and his barrister (representing his insurers). I won by default, though I'm sure my Barrister would have ripped his in shreds.
My insurance company; (Ageas, who were faultless throughout) got all their initial cost awarded (my car repairs) and I got all my out of pocket costs; excess expenses etc. It was a mater of principle and I dug my heels in. Hopefully white van man will think twice about rampaging around the countryside fleeing the scene and thinking he'd get away with it.
Result :yup:

Bike: I went from Carole Nash who I had no probs with other than they would never disclose the modifications that I told them every year, so I never knew if they'd recorded them,(reason for binning them) to Bennetts who seem OK apart from taking 5 goes to get my paperwork despite them saying they'd sent it. So who the f**k now knows what I have in my garage and what security :headbang: