It is currently 18 Apr 2024 22:23

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: First Ride of the Year
PostPosted: 25 Jan 2017 16:04 

Current ride: XB9SX
Sunday I was starting to get itchy feet or was it cabin fever? (and I couldn't go to that meet). You know the feeling; Couldn't focus on domestic stuff, the TV package was onto repeats, and 'Remoaners' were still hard at it subversively trying to extend our dependency on the EU. :roll:

The XB hadn't seen tarmac since last November 13 and I hate to leave it so long. The sun was promised to the south so I wrapped up warm and headed that way to add some global warming. The only outward sign of the Buell's cobwebs was the seasonally absent neutral light. I will sort that later. It was cold to the point that I was happy to stay nearer 55 than 60 at first, which is a shame as the exhaust 'venturi' makes top gear roll-ons so addictive from about 57-58.

The roads were not drying much so I had to hog the dry lines to try and reduce picking up wet salt. Then one bend arrived fully wetted with added tractor slime from a nearby field gate. :ill: Still I made it round. Later on the sun shone and the skies cleared over a local airport air port café where I stopped for a club sandwich and a cuppa. :eat:

The temperature was starting to drop so I headed home, fortunately with the prevailing wind behind me. The motor was warmed enough for continual roll-ons from 60 up (kph officer lOl ). I now think this bad habbit is causing the extra fuel's disappearance. About 2 miles from home while traversing a junction I suddenly lost a gear.....and couldn't engage another. Looking down I saw that one of the small 3/8th bolts holding the gimbal ended link to the lever was gone. :?

I knew exactly the spot it must have dropped out, but a thorough search on foot revealed nothing. If it hadn't bounced into the grass, it had possibly been picked up in the tread of a following car. Stuck in 2nd gear, I had to ride the next mile to town at about 27mph with indicators on and waving traffic past. :oooops:

Still, it could have been worse, and I made it home reasonably satisfied. I got a bag full of replacement bolts (which I will now carry in my tool kit) from a local engineering firm. The moral of this story is to check your fixings. Roll on spring! 8-)

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2017 17:16 

Current ride: 2 Buells + 3 Guzzis
A good read :clap:, thanks for posting.

www.ukbuellgroup.co.uk

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2017 18:33 

Current ride: 2004 Buell XB 12s
:yup:

Back in 07 i had the same thing happening with that bolt on the first holiday ride with the xb12s

It's good to put some blue loctite on!

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2017 10:50 
Nice read. Have had visions of the gear lever dropping happening to me, so I lock wired it!

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2017 11:27 

Current ride: X1 2001
if i remember correctly
Thorkill The Tall (TTT) formally of this parish
had the same problem on a DG20 to Sammy Miller ride out on his M2
YOFFI :worthy: rode back to DG20 (where he was top salesman , & all round top geezer) got the bolt , then returned & fixed it
now that's customer service & friendship :yup:

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2017 18:58 

Current ride: S1W,S2T,1125CR
And Buell Abusa had the same issue on his X1 en route from Black Bear to the Ace Café.

Mac's boy, Nathan, popped across the road to the nearest house where a motorcycle enthusiast went to his shed and produced a jar of fasteners which included something which would do the job 8-)

Steve

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2017 19:17 

Current ride: 1991 RS1200 westwind
ursus americanus wrote:
And Buell Abusa had the same issue on his X1 en route from Black Bear to the Ace Café.

Mac's boy, Nathan, popped across the road to the nearest house where a motorcycle enthusiast went to his shed and produced a jar of fasteners which included something which would do the job 8-)

Steve

That is so spooky Steve , Whilst at Lincs aviation yesterday I told that exact story to CJ and about how amazed we all were when the only house nearby produced the bolt he needed.

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2017 19:18 

Current ride: X1 2001
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2017 14:45 

Current ride: XB9SX
Then again (as :maz: would say) if I'd just fitted it right to start with? lOl