It is currently 18 Apr 2024 22:35

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2016 13:40 

Bonzo wrote:
rik wrote:
The above conversation is etched in my memory from being with my Father in our Vauxhall 101 deLuxe when he refuelled each Saturday morning... :old:

Assuming the Vauxhall 101 deluxe didn't have a 2 stroke engine, what were the shots :?:

RedEx.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2016 13:42 

Current ride: 1125CR & HD Hardtail
rik wrote:
They weren't an economical car to run, Ferris, so count your blessings. lOl

Hey, anything is better than my V6 and V8 yank tanks, but still, I'm not complainign about the number, I'm curious as to whether I have a problem as it is so low in comparison.

I guess I'll just take it for a motorway ride and see if I can get the 180 miles out of a tank, see if it can do what I expect of it, and then just put it to 'not being as good in traffic'.

Bonzo wrote:
I can only get litres

For you Bonzo, my XB9 got 45mpg (15.9303km/litre) round town and could get 60mpg (21.2404km/litre) on a long haul. I still buy my petrol in litres, but my Buells always have a converter fitted, so it turns the litres into gallons for me (pretty good conversion rate) so I work it out in mpg, rather than km/l, y'know, cos I'm English, not a modern European.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2016 13:58 

Current ride: K100 CBR1000F z550Gt
FerrisBueller wrote:
cos I'm English, not a modern European.

Well bugger me, we thought you were a septic :o

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2016 14:01 

Current ride: 1125CR & HD Hardtail
Bonzo wrote:
Well bugger me, we thought you were a septic :o

I'm not septic

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2016 15:03 

Current ride: M2 Razorback
03 wrote:
Bonzo wrote:
rik wrote:
The above conversation is etched in my memory from being with my Father in our Vauxhall 101 deLuxe when he refuelled each Saturday morning... :old:

Assuming the Vauxhall 101 deluxe didn't have a 2 stroke engine, what were the shots :?:

RedEx*.

*Other brands of Upper Cylinder Lubricant are (or were) available ;)

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2016 10:20 

Current ride: XB9SX
My theory on this is that good mpg is a matter of optimising supply to match the minimum required demand. ;) .....obviously, but that the design of some machines is better optimised towards this than others in terms of torque available on part throttle to make good progress. As it happens longish stroke motors with only 2 valves turning slowly are quite good in this area. Multi valve motors give larger influx of mixture at initial valve opening due to a greater total valve circumference so can in theory give a greater charge at low revs, but it is all to easy to over gas it, while longer strokes give higher piston ring speed for a given rpm and automatically have an enhanced compression process at lower revs for whatever mixture has entered the cylinder. The bigger crank throw in a long stroke motor can also provide a better turning moment for a given amount of cylinder charge, hence can be significantly more frugal than your sportier short stroke motor when mixing it in commuter traffic. This is also providing the long stroke machine is not too heavy and has an optimum set of gears to make the best of torque multiplication. Out on the open road at legal cruising speeds the differences between engines is less and the long stroke designs can be noticeably more thirsty when driven faster as they become less efficient at wide open throttle. In my experience. Better explanations or notes to the contrary by those more qualified are welcome as my head is now hurting. ;)

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2016 12:15 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
:yt:
Different horses for different courses :yup:
You can buy a 500 BHP car that will get you from A to B quickly
You can also buy a HGV lorry with 500 BHP that can pull 44 tonnes .
Although in this instance when being worked hard , each probably only returning a couple of miles to a gallon :yup:

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2016 19:50 

Current ride: XB9SX
Having said all that, Despite being of a similar displacement, weight, and overall gearing, a friends KTM 990 on a longish run still seems to guzzle the gas 20 percent faster than my XB no matter how smoothly you ride it. :? ''Tis fast though! ;)