It is currently 18 Apr 2024 14:41

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2016 19:36 

Current ride: Xb12r
Well over the last few years I've used the bike less and less, don't get the time with the 2 kids and things. This year I've spent a lot of my time sorting things out on our cars, and trying to get the trike sorted so I can take my son on it next year, and now we've got a 3rd child on the way, I've got too much going on. So the Buell, having only done about 300 miles in the last year, and the MoT running out a few months ago, is unlikely to be used for a fair while.

Realistically, it may not get back on the road, as by the time I've got the time and money for it, the spares availability may not be there. But I can't bring myself to sell it, it's the best bike I've ridden and has never failed to put a smile on my face, so I'd like to store it as best I can.

I'm guessing the 1st thing will be sort a space where it won't need to be moved, so I can put it up on the paddock stands, and then either drain the tank, or run the engine until it runs out of fuel.

What else is best to do? Best stored with old oil, fresh oil, no oil? Is it best to occasionally turn the wheels, take the belt off? I'll take the battery off, and store it in the house, gets very cold in the garage.

Is it best to pour anything down the cylinders to stop them seizing, or is that not a good idea? And is it best to turn the engine over sometimes?

Thanks for any tips.

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2016 19:47 

Current ride: ktm 950 sm
Sell bike and let someone else enjoy riding it...

Have the snip... :shock:

Put cash towards trike and enjoy the smiles on your kids faces when finished...

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2016 20:30 

Or

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322262933625

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2016 20:55 
Change oil, pour egg cup full amount of oil down bores, battery on optimate, spray all metal parts except brakes with ACF 50. Both wheels off floor is a good idea for tyres sake. My garage is damp so I have a dehumidifier on a timer over the winter.

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2016 19:10 

paulastbury wrote:
Sell bike and let someone else enjoy riding it...

Have the snip... :shock:

Put cash towards trike and enjoy the smiles on your kids faces when finished...

Trike doesn't need that much money spending on it, and as stated, the Buell isn't being sold, it's worth more to me than I'd get for it. I'd have to be in a pretty dire situation to consider selling it, and it'd be the very last thing to go.

paulastbury wrote:

Ewwww... 2 things wrong with that, 1st and foremost, it's a tuber (though that adds to its expendability.... lOl ) and 2nd, not a fan of bike based trikes.

jiltedjohn wrote:
Change oil, pour egg cup full amount of oil down bores, battery on optimate, spray all metal parts except brakes with ACF 50. Both wheels off floor is a good idea for tyres sake. My garage is damp so I have a dehumidifier on a timer over the winter.

Thanks, I had a feeling I'd read before that oil in the cylinders was a good idea, I guess when it eventually gets started again, it should burn off fairly quick? And I hadn't thought of ACF 50, good idea. I did momentarily think of those storage bubbles, and then saw the price and changed my mind! My garage gets damp too, but not a lot I can do about that as I haven't got a constant power supply out there, just an extension lead. Might look at some of those damp traps with crystals, but not sure how well they'd work or how long they'd last.

Any thoughts on the belt? Leave it on and forget about it, occasionally turn the rear wheel so it's not always in the same place, or take it off and hang it up on a hook?

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2016 23:14 

If you want some of that Silica damp absorbing stuff, have a word with some blokes in a Telecom van. They use it for putting into phone wiring cabinets you see by the road. If you ask nicely, they'll give you a big sack of it. It can be redried by putting into the oven.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2016 06:28 

Good ventilation. ..

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2016 21:27 

Adam wrote:
If you want some of that Silica damp absorbing stuff, have a word with some blokes in a Telecom van. They use it for putting into phone wiring cabinets you see by the road. If you ask nicely, they'll give you a big sack of it. It can be redried by putting into the oven.

Thats a good idea, will get my inlaws to ask as they've got a box outside their house. Unlikely to see them round here, the whole village is locked to 1 supplier, and you never see any of their 'engineers' around.

paulastbury wrote:
Good ventilation. ..

There's a fair few gaps, especially around the door. Problem with that is I want to be able to keep it warm when I'm out there too.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2016 21:40 

Current ride: Buell S1 Lightning
Sorry to tell you, but as one of BT Openreach's merry men, we've long since stopped stuffing cabs and joints with silica gel sachets, and anyway they would be useless in anything but a sealed environment, like those vacuum bike storage bags.