It is currently 24 Apr 2024 13:31

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next
 Post subject: Re: My first buell
PostPosted: 12 Oct 2016 13:49 

Current ride: Buell 1125R and M2
Good read and bikes looking great!. It's always nice when the performance surprises you on top of it being a great bike!.

My first Buell too and I couldn't be happier ...

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2016 12:56 

Current ride: XB9SX
Looking good. Now you should consider locating an FS spring loaded belt tensioner! ;)

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2016 21:53 

Current ride: XB 9 SX
edd wrote:
Looking good. Now you should consider locating an FS spring loaded belt tensioner! ;)

I should? Overpriced for what they are - but then isn't everything buell related.

The bike's had a bit of a cold 2500 rpm misfire recently and has cut out very briefly at idle a few times just as I'm letting the clutch out, it's never stalled. I decided a new set of plugs might be an idea.

Removing the airbox lid showed the rear pot has been blowing a bit of oil out the beather - nothing serious just more than I'd expect from the jap stuff I'm used to.

Plugs out was pretty easy, don't let the internet stories scare you, there must be a lot of cack-handed plebs out there in keyboard land. ;)

The rear plug looked like it hadn't been changed for a while (ever?) can you tell which one it might be?

Some scrap silicone entonox hosing purloined from work and the crank breathers are re-routed away from the airbox ad tee'd together.

A stainless P-clip fitted under the clutch casing bolt holds the pipe tidy behind the left foot rest. Could I tee the gearbox breather into the same line?

Airbox holes blocked with blind grommets

Now to do a TPS reset, problem is ECMSPY doesn't see the bike, it grabs the com port but reads nothing - anyone got a wiring guide for an ECM lead as the only one I found just used colours and my lead had different colours so I made an educated guess.

Anyway the bike is back together and ready to take me to work tomorrow. :dance:

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2016 22:00 

Current ride: m2 cyclone
Not overpriced compared to cost of replacing output shaft bearing :sad1:

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2016 23:07 

coco wrote:
Not overpriced compared to cost of replacing output shaft bearing :sad1:

Maybe not - but overpriced for what it is.

Is the output bearing vulnerable on the XB then, I thought it was about saving belt damage rather than the more serious damage you mention, best ask father christmas for a tensioner.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2016 23:18 
Site Admin

:roll:

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2016 23:24 

Sorry? Was that a yes or a no, I don't speak emogee.

I'm trying to understand the need (actual versus perceived) for the tensioner and the internet is full of conflicting stories, and broken freespirits tensioners.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2016 23:28 

Current ride: 1125r XB12X
I would go for it Reg :yup:

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2016 23:46 

Kiwi wrote:
I would go for it Reg :yup:

Any good place to get one from? Freespirits direct?

edit - found one foggimotor on ebay for £140 delivered.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2016 00:52 
Site Admin

Reg, I can only assume you must be very hard of thinking if you have not yet worked out that the fitting of a FS tensioner is more valid than your next tank full of fuel.
Not only does it preserve belt life but it also extends wheel bearing and idler bearing life.....once fitted you'll notice that even pushing the bike feels like the brakes have been let off, neutral is easier to find, gear changes are easier but most importantly, output bearing life is extended......if your bike suffered an output bearing failure, it would be scrap ie. cost of replacement would far exceed the bikes value.
Check out all the XB's that Erik owns...they all have FS tensioners fitted :idea:
.....140 quid = very cheap insurance :roll:

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2016 05:49 

Current ride: S1w X1 1125CR
Maz wrote:
Reg, I can only assume you must be very hard of thinking if you have not yet worked out that the fitting of a FS tensioner is more valid than your next tank full of fuel.
Not only does it preserve belt life but it also extends wheel bearing and idler bearing life.....once fitted you'll notice that even pushing the bike feels like the brakes have been let off, neutral is easier to find, gear changes are easier but most importantly, output bearing life is extended......if your bike suffered an output bearing failure, it would be scrap ie. cost of replacement would far exceed the bikes value.
Check out all the XB's that Erik owns...they all have FS tensioners fitted :idea:
.....140 quid = very cheap insurance :roll:

There Maz, that wasn't so hard was it :roll: :D

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2016 06:00 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
regcheeseman1 wrote:
edd wrote:

I should? Overpriced for what they are - but then isn't everything buell related.

How long would it take to make your own?

regcheeseman1 wrote:
Now to do a TPS reset, problem is ECMSPY doesn't see the bike, it grabs the com port but reads nothing - anyone got a wiring guide for an ECM lead as the only one I found just used colours and my lead had different colours so I made an educated guess.

Which cable are you using? Is it broken? Is it a 5V one? All manuals in the manuals section have a wiring diagram IIRC.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2016 12:42 

Thanks people.

Not so much 'hard of thinking' more 'monumentally tight' ;)

I've two kids birthdays, the missus' birthday, two mots and two lots of insurance all coupled with christmas next month. Wallet will take a battering.

I need a new lid too as the 20+ year old Arai I'm using is probably past it's best.

Anyway, in other news the misfiring seems to have gone but the bike is now idling like crap, hunting all over the shop when cold - I need to get a new ECMSPY cable as well.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2016 13:58 

Current ride: XB9SX
You have my sympathy as I am also poor Reg, but I'll go hungry or wear shoes with holes in them rather than not buy what my Buell needs. Even my good lady understands that! lOl

Hang in there. ;)

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2016 21:00 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
regcheeseman1 wrote:
Anyway, in other news the misfiring seems to have gone but the bike is now idling like crap, hunting all over the shop when cold - I need to get a new ECMSPY cable as well.

I'll sell you one...

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next