It is currently 19 Apr 2024 01:33

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 15 May 2010 15:16 
Following the guidance in the manual, I took off the drain plug and all the oil poured out as planned.

Just gone to put the plug back in (with new rubber gasket) and it won't go all the way in. It tightens to nearly in, but then I get a couple of loose turns, then tight again. Then loose. etc

Also, I can't get my oil filter off by hand. I don't have a chain/strap or anything fancy-any ideas how I can get that bugger off?! :D

Any advice on both would be most welcome.

:(

PostPosted: 15 May 2010 15:39 
Sorry to say it Doc but it sounds like you have stripped the case (alloy) thread as the plug is steel. I also thought it had a copper washer but I would need to double check that one as cant remember just now. It is the one in the swing arm you have taken out :?:

There are other ways of getting the oil filter off but leave it for now.

Last edited by THE FLYING DUCHMAN on 15 May 2010 15:47, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 15 May 2010 15:45 
Any fixes for stripping the case? Does this mean I need a new case? It happened, I think, by my loosening of the plug. It just wouldn't budge. Too much clumsy elbow grease then. Again.

It seems sealed (of sorts) possible to ride?

PostPosted: 15 May 2010 15:51 

when it came to oil filter i couldnt get mine open so used screwdriver and hammer - just hammer it in to the bottom quarter of filter and levered it.
some tools for other ways viewtopic.php?f=17&t=15

PostPosted: 15 May 2010 15:59 
aks12rrrrr wrote:
when it came to oil filter i couldnt get mine open so used screwdriver and hammer - just hammer it in to the bottom quarter of filter and levered it.
some tools for other ways viewtopic.php?f=17&t=15

You can do but only as a "last knockings" situation if you can help it.

Doc. The plug is in the swingarm (alloy) and if the plug is not tight you will loose your oil and poss bugger the engine. If you are unsure about anything you are doing get someone to look at the bike. Its not worth the risk IMO.

PostPosted: 15 May 2010 17:21 
the plug/bolt is definitely not in the swingarm mate, its in the (sump?) casing-it's the primary drain plug, not the filler plug. Looks like I can replace the front half, but now to source one.

Someone has also suggested helicoils, but i'm not 100% on the process.

PostPosted: 15 May 2010 17:27 
Site Admin

Primary case will need removing to helicoil (dead easy)........I spend half my life re-threading primary cases and swingarms due to over torqued/stripped threads, usually fucked by dealers :x

How were the swingarm threads ?

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 15 May 2010 17:35 
Maz wrote:
Primary case will need removing to helicoil (dead easy)........I spend half my life re-threading primary cases and swingarms due to over torqued/stripped threads, usually fucked by dealers :x

How were the swingarm threads ?

I cant make out if Doc is trying to change the engine oil or the primary oil.

Maybe its just me :maz: but if a dealer did that to me I would be VERY pissed. Its just basic stuff. Aint it :?:

PostPosted: 15 May 2010 17:49 
Site Admin

Thought the same myself re. what oil Docca was draining as he hasn't mentioned the swingarm plug, thus my question :idea:

Assuming a dealer even has a torque wrench, if they bother to follow the recommended torque figures, then the plugs will/do strip very easily as the figure in the manual is total bollox.

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 15 May 2010 18:04 
Quote:
Assuming a dealer even has a torque wrench, if they bother to follow the recommended torque figures, then the plugs will/do strip very easily as the figure in the manual is total bollox.

I have to say Maz that I am not happy with a lot of the numbers in the book. Maybe the guy that wrote it thought the bike was made of cast iron :rofl:.

PostPosted: 15 May 2010 18:13 
Sorry for my lack of clarity guys. Its the primary drain plug that has stripped the case its in (what exactly is this case called? I fear I need to source one).

It was on so tight that I had to use considerable force to loosen it. I fear this is what has fuxxored it.

New problem and i'm sure this is going to win me a foam helmet award: couldn't shift the oil filter by hand, right? Hammer a screwdriver through near the base, right? Ok, and twist? Ok. It shifted a little, and then ripped through the filter. The base of the filter now looks like an oily abortion. Any tips how I might get this off?

Maz: You have a reassuring tone. Some lads from another forum are walking me through how to helicoil as we speak. You can guess I'm shite with a spanner, so i'm hoping their instructions are in crayon.

PostPosted: 15 May 2010 18:23 
Docca wrote:
Sorry for my lack of clarity guys. Its the primary drain plug that has stripped the case its in (what exactly is this case called? I fear I need to source one).

It was on so tight that I had to use considerable force to loosen it. I fear this is what has fuxxored it.

New problem and i'm sure this is going to win me a foam helmet award: couldn't shift the oil filter by hand, right? Hammer a screwdriver through near the base, right? Ok, and twist? Ok. It shifted a little, and then ripped through the filter. The base of the filter now looks like an oily abortion. Any tips how I might get this off?

Maz: You have a reassuring tone. Some lads from another forum are walking me through how to helicoil as we speak. You can guess I'm shite with a spanner, so i'm hoping their instructions are in crayon.

Docca. I am all for people wanting to spanner there own bikes but, and I am not dising you in any way, PLEASE, PLEASE stop right now. You are going to end up with a bill as long as your arm if you carry on doing what you have.

Err, are you changing the oil filter because you think its part of the primary side or that you have changed the engine oil as well.

Last edited by THE FLYING DUCHMAN on 15 May 2010 18:31, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 15 May 2010 18:30 
Site Admin

OK, lets start again.......you are changing the bikes engine oil, filter and trans oil.

I'm still wanting to know how you got on with the engine oil drain plug ie. the one in the swingarm ?
Oil filters can rarely be removed by hand (unless ya built like Tubbs).......why would you think they could ?.......I have every tool imagineable to remove XB oil filters but usually just use a pair of slip joint pliers (sometimes called water pump pliers).....only a complete tosser hammers a screwdriver through a filter :x

The trans oil is drained via the primary case......you dont need a new one (247 quid) you just need to remove it and helicoil the thread, which as already stated, is dead easy.
Where abouts in ''England'' are you ?.......pisses me off when peeps dont fill in their profile properly :evil:

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 15 May 2010 18:39 
VERY large JDs all round IMO :maz: :rofl: :rofl:

PostPosted: 15 May 2010 19:11 

Docca, the Helicoil process is very simple BUT it's very easy to make a total cock of it if you don't do everything 'square'. If you've never done it before then don't even think about buying a kit and doing yourself. Get someone who's done it before to do it. It'll be cheaper than buying the kit in any case.

As Maz says, never ever use a spike on an oil filter. If they're too tight for proper tools (which are very cheap - and every Halfords has them) then they will tear if you try undoing them with a spike shove through wafer thin metal.

Ever since I could walk, my old man (who was a Chartered Engineer) beat the 'right tool for the right job' mantra into me. He even had the last laugh when when I had trouble undoing the container that his ashes were in when I went to scatter them 8-) :worthy: