It is currently 19 Apr 2024 23:00

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2015 07:15 

Current ride: 2009 XB12Scg Black
Has anyone used the wrinkle black touch up from HD?

The paint has started to flake off of my rear pulley and, before it gets any worse, I'm wondering if it's worth getting some of the touch up?

Has anyone else had this issue?

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2015 08:38 
Hi
Yes, although I think it's a pretty common problem, well at least on the later XB models.
I own a 10-plate Uly XT, what I did was raise the back wheel and remove the lower belt guard from which you have a small area to work within where the pulley is not in contact with the belt.
I then could turn the wheel and remove all the loose flaking paint using a wire brush and some reasonably course rubbing down paper until I was satisfied I had a good key for a fresh coat of paint.
Firstly I used some quick drying primer which I brush painted over the bare metal areas, some of the original paint didn't come off in the initial prep which left these areas off noticeabily lower, the second coat of primer was to cover all of the pulley, and finally I brush painted a coat of matt black, which actually turned out more like a satin finish, over the entire pulley it now looks like new.
By working in the small belt free area it ensures you dont get any paint on the belt, also it saves the need to remove the wheel. :yup:
P.S. Intially I started by trying to carefully avoid painting over the pulley retaining bolt heads but gave up in the end and painted the heads of them also which actually looks fine.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2015 09:49 
kernow60 wrote:
..........painted the heads of them also which actually looks fine.

Sounds a good solution to a common cosmetic problem :yup: -

:D any chance of a photo to see the end result ???

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2015 11:23 

Current ride: 2005 Ulysses
I just took the wheel off, took the pulley off, sanded it back, painted it then clear coated it.

It'll do till the winter when I'm planning on all of the 'not black' bits becoming black at the power coaters.

Turning the wheel 1/8 of a turn at a time and cleaning through a tiny gap under the swing arm? Sounds like a PITA to me.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2015 12:21 
ulyChris wrote:
I just took the wheel off, took the pulley off, sanded it back, painted it then clear coated it.

Turning the wheel 1/8 of a turn at a time and cleaning through a tiny gap under the swing arm? Sounds like a PITA to me.

Worked for me and got a excellent finish, without all the hassle of removing the wheel and pulley for the same result. :headbang:

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2015 15:53 

Current ride: 2005 Ulysses
I'm confused.

Taking the rear wheel of a uly takes seconds? Well, once it's jacked up.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2015 20:38 

Current ride: XB12s,S1WL, Triumph
Just buy a rizoma rear pulley. Far easier than all that sanding malarky. And better looking too :yup:

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2015 20:54 

DaveH wrote:
Just buy a rizoma rear pulley. Far easier than all that sanding malarky. And better looking too :yup:

Because you never sand or polish or anything Dave :?
And how can you make a uly good looking? :D

Andy

:eat:

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2015 21:43 

Current ride: 2001 X1, EBR 1190SX
But the Rizoma rear pulley truly is a thing of beauty.

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2015 06:41 

Current ride: 2009 XB12Scg Black
Thanks for the help. Nice to know I'm not alone and that it's not too bad a job to resolve it.

Kernow60, if you do have a picture, I wouldn't mind seeing your finished result.

Thanks.