It is currently 29 Mar 2024 13:57

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ully belts
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2015 14:15 

Current ride: 06 Ully
Two months ago the belt let go on my 06 Ully. I phoned around lots of places and settled on A R Harley. They advertised a Falcon belt which claims to be 33% stronger than the others, so I bought one and a Free Spirits belt tensioner.
Last week my friends Ully shed its belt so naturally he went on my recommendation to A R Harley. His belt was £30 dearer than mine. It has been suggested that my belt is for a Soft Tail Harley but nowhere on the web does it say so. My friends belt is Buell specific but is not listed on the web site. There is a difference in the part numbers. Mine is running perfectly and so is my friends. Any thoughts or similar experience?
Dave

Post subject: Re: Ully belts
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2015 15:12 
Site Admin

:eat:

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2015 16:09 
Yeah falcons, they're shit

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2015 10:30 

" yeah falcons they're shit " does not really further the debate. Do you have personal experience with said belts ? Could you enlighten us all as to why they are shit ?
A belt is a consumable product, it has a life span, my original belt lasted 18000 miles over 9 years. Can I expect hundreds of miles or thousands of miles from the falcon belt? If I get 8000 miles and four years use out of it Im quids in, or is that too high an expectation based upon actual product use.
American forums rate them as good value and better still they are made in the USA with connections to Goodyear. According to our American friends Gates manufacture H-D belts to a higher spec than their own belts. If Gates branded belts are inferior to H-D belts then we should all bite the bullet and pay the extortionate price that H-D demand for their products.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2015 11:26 
Site Admin

H-D dont make belts, Gates and more recently Goodyear make the belts H-D use.
I would be very interested to read reports from people using any of the various 'cheap' aftermarket belts......to date, I've not heard a single good thing about any of them ie. false economy methinks ?

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2015 13:18 

Current ride: XB12SS Tiger S R9T
D+S wrote:
" yeah falcons they're shit " does not really further the debate. Do you have personal experience with said belts ? Could you enlighten us all as to why they are shit ?
A belt is a consumable product, it has a life span, my original belt lasted 18000 miles over 9 years. Can I expect hundreds of miles or thousands of miles from the falcon belt? If I get 8000 miles and four years use out of it Im quids in, or is that too high an expectation based upon actual product use.
American forums rate them as good value and better still they are made in the USA with connections to Goodyear. According to our American friends Gates manufacture H-D belts to a higher spec than their own belts. If Gates branded belts are inferior to H-D belts then we should all bite the bullet and pay the extortionate price that H-D demand for their products.

Yes they're shit and my reason for saying that is because i had to do a 100 mile round trip with my trailer to pick up an X1 that had done less than 2000 miles on one.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2015 14:04 
Yeah that

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2015 14:04 
Site Admin

2K miles must be a record......anyone managed more than that ?

98 S1W
00 M2
01 X1
03 P3
10 CR

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2015 14:29 

Interesting stuff, according to our brothers on badwebbikers, Buell took great pleasure in announcing that the belts on 06 Buells were better and stronger than those previously fitted. These belts were made by Goodyear. I had 50000 miles on my Soft tail belt when I changed it and it had a hole in it from a stone. I also sat beside a friend one Sunday on a brand new Dyna that he had picked up on the Saturday. Sitting at the traffic lights he engaged first gear and snapped the belt. Shit happens and I will let you know how long our belts last, both in years and mileage ( he says hopefully)

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2015 17:51 
Just carry your old one as a spare :P

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2015 19:55 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
I think the easiest thing to do is let us know how long it lasts.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2015 22:52 
Think Pink

Current ride: Awesome Ulysses & X1
OEM belts may seem expensive ....when was the last time anyone changed there front or rear pullys and a v v good chain can be three figures ......................

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2015 23:01 

WILLYBUELL wrote:
a v v good chain can be three figures ......................

......and cost four figures if they break lOl

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2015 18:36 

Current ride: bmw 1150 gs
Only ever had one chain break - on an old Kawasaki Gpz 1100 B1, accelerating through 3rd or 4th gear @ about a ton, and all of a sudden no drive !. Stopped and walked back several hundred yards, and found it lying by the side of the road, felt very lucky that it hadn't collected anything on it's way out. Then walked over the road to a garden centre opposite where i had stopped, saw a bloke in a transit and talked him into transporting it home for me for a £5. Ahh....1985 prices