It is currently 20 Apr 2024 05:51

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 811 Next
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2015 21:43 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
If I knew how to Magic the forum to make picture posting easier, I would... Facebook is a breeze...

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2015 21:44 
Needs more cowbell

Current ride: None
edd wrote:
unstructured and like a sea of nonsense.

Have you visited the social section of this forum lately, its exactly the same there too lOl lOl

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2015 21:45 
Needs more cowbell

Current ride: None
pash wrote:
If I knew how to Magic the forum to make picture posting easier, I would... Facebook is a breeze...

There are scripts you can write into the code but its a ball ache to do and every update (this forum is due one by the way) it over writes it and you need to do it again.

Unlike Facebook, herensomeone is actually paying for the space need to store such pictures and if made easier it would only get abused and end up costing the forums bank account more money.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2015 22:11 

Current ride: 2008 XB12ss, 1993 XL
I was only offering a personal opinion on soicial media and to be fair that is my choice. I note that the other issues raised in the post were not responded to. I am genuinly interested to know if the good people on this forum have explored alternative routes to obtain engine parts for the Rotax engined Buells as apart from travelling 90+ miles to see Maz and using the internet I wonder what the longer term options will be.

We are all individuals, we make choices, it is a good thing we have made a similar choice, 2 wheels and a Buell. Enough said.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2015 22:20 
proff. patpending

I think the service parts alternatives are in the Useful Info Depository in the How To...

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2015 23:48 

Current ride: S1W,S2T,1125CR
This forum was home for so many of us for so long and it still is for me but, instead of visiting two or three times a day and having a couple of pages of posts each time, now it's once with just a handful of posts.

I also use Facebook, often several times a day. It allows me to keep in touch with friends from all over rather than just one group; it's easily accessible; it's easy to use on your phone; posting photos (especially from your phone) is a doddle; it's a great way of networking (I've made loads of friends within the global Buell community and subsequently met some face to face); and you can easily send private messages which I find get quicker response than text, email etc.

I agree with all that Ash says above although I am less careful - anyone can see most of what I post, but I only post what I am happy to be viewed publicly.

I do miss the old action on UKBEG though. Facebook tends to be a series of short statements which are easily lost after a day or so. You wouldn't find DFS's educational posts about astronomy, Pash's detailed "How To"s or a serious rant from Att. I thought that maybe the days of forums were over until I discovered the Ford Transit forum yesterday which seems to be alive and kicking although tediously technical.

There are some who post on Facebook who actively promote the forum. Pash in particular is always posting links to threads in an attempt to win people over. Suspect it needs more of us to do that and for people on here to make newbies welcome and stop bashing Facebook.

Just a thought :idea:

Steve

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2015 05:35 

Current ride: 2001 X1, EBR 1190SX
When did you change your location Steve - and what's that all about?!?

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2015 06:47 
proff. patpending

ursus americanus wrote:
This forum was home for so many of us for so long and it still is for me but, instead of visiting two or three times a day and having a couple of pages of posts each time, now it's once with just a handful of posts.

Can't argue with that...

ursus americanus wrote:
I also use Facebook, often several times a day. It allows me to keep in touch with friends from all over rather than just one group; it's easily accessible; it's easy to use on your phone; posting photos (especially from your phone) is a doddle; it's a great way of networking (I've made loads of friends within the global Buell community and subsequently met some face to face); and you can easily send private messages which I find get quicker response than text, email etc.

Nor that... I have recently been guilty of getting colour ideas for my X1...

ursus americanus wrote:
I agree with all that Ash says above although I am less careful - anyone can see most of what I post, but I only post what I am happy to be viewed publicly.

I am probably the same. I don't really understand all this settings thing, and I don't understand why some groups tell me when anyone has posted and why other tell me only when someone I know has posted.

ursus americanus wrote:
I do miss the old action on UKBEG though. Facebook tends to be a series of short statements which are easily lost after a day or so. You wouldn't find DFS's educational posts about astronomy, Pash's detailed "How To"s or a serious rant from Att. I thought that maybe the days of forums were over until I discovered the Ford Transit forum yesterday which seems to be alive and kicking although tediously technical.

Hmm, maybe I should get a Ford Transit then...

ursus americanus wrote:
There are some who post on Facebook who actively promote the forum. Pash in particular is always posting links to threads in an attempt to win people over. Suspect it needs more of us to do that and for people on here to make newbies welcome and stop bashing Facebook.

I do my best...

But my biggest issue is the search-ability of the place. Look at Peter Parrott's catastrophic engine failure. He tells everyone on Facebook, but I bet if Maz saw it he would say 'ah yes, seen that a few times, caused by...' but as he is not on there, he can't. Back to the search-abilty thing, when it happens again nobody will be able to find it, Peter Parrott will have bought a Triumph and nobody will remember what happened and who it happened to...

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2015 10:03 

And on this Forum, even if you can't find the info yourself although you know it is there, someone always manages to dig out the relevant page, sometimes going back years.
I use Twitter but only really for updates on cycling and music, not as a means of keeping in touch with people.

2004 Monster S4R
Wilier La Triestina

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2015 10:33 

Current ride: Mojo
I just can't understand why this place has been recreated on Facebook ( sorry to disappoint, but I don't have any clever alternative names ). What was so badly wrong here that it became important to recruit people to a more popular location, leaving UKBeg in the doldrums? I have registered to see what the fuss was about, but it all just seems to be one long page, along with a popularity contest to see who has the most friends. I just don't get all the "here I am having a MacD with my fabulous friends, and here is a picture of my dog kennel outside my country pile with my new bathroom and kitchen for entertaining all my new imaginary/online friends ...... etc... drivel.......boast...... :roll:"
Anyway the conclusion that I came to some time ago is Facebook doesn't need ukbeg to survive, but ukbeg does. Whatever, I will be here as long as it lasts. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2015 10:36 

Current ride: Ducati Monster 950+
A bit of thread hijacking going on here :D So just to continue with my 2d worth - Facebook is dead easy but is very 'now’ish' and stuff gets lost in the volume of info, especially if you have loads of 'friends'. UKBEG forum takes more effort but is much more permanent and much more useful for referencing stuff.

The truth is that most of us are lazy and take the easy option, sad, but true. :( Facebook will be here for a while I think, and it is a useful tool, if used correctly and well. But you don't have to use it, it's not the law that you have to :D

I like both. There, I said it - I'm gonna rot in Hell :ner:

In the garage -

2001 X1
KTM390 Duke
Ducati 950 Monster +
CCM Spitfire Scrambler

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2015 11:40 

Current ride: M2 Razorback
Lucky and t965m, your most recent posts sum it up pretty well for me:
If you favour order and reference-ability, then the forum has it.
If you favour ease of use, then Fakebook (no, not witty, just a truism IME) is probably better.
So, it's the Forum for us pedantic OCD types and Fakebook for you easy option and lazy (or bragging types) ;) .
Those that are a little bit personality-confused, use both. Simple. It's not a competition.
Sad to say (but I'm not the first to say it) that IMO Maz's online attitude is a major contributing factor in driving people away; those of us who know him can take it all with a pinch of salt, but the scorn and brevity that an innocent question has often received makes me wince... maybe it's a north/south thing but it's hardly friendly and welcoming.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2015 11:57 

Current ride: XB12s,S1WL, Triumph
rik wrote:
maybe it's a north/south thing but it's hardly friendly and welcoming.

There's a certain element of truth in this line.......But the Maz you see in the flesh and the online Maz are two different people , the former couldn't be more helpful if he tried and really is a top bloke. The latter....well........Think of it as Dr jeckyl and Mr Hyde....... :run: :run: :run:

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2015 12:37 

Current ride: M2 Razorback
DaveH wrote:
rik wrote:
maybe it's a north/south thing but it's hardly friendly and welcoming.

There's a certain element of truth in this line.......But the Maz you see in the flesh and the online Maz are two different people , the former couldn't be more helpful if he tried and really is a top bloke. The latter....well........Think of it as Dr jeckyl and Mr Hyde....... :run: :run: :run:

Errr...that's what I said. You know it. I know it. But put yourself in the position of someone who doesn't.
We've all been into shops / businesses where we've been made to feel welcome... and also those where we've been made to feel uncomfortable. Which ones do you go back to?

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2015 13:07 

Lucky wrote:
I just can't understand why this place has been recreated on Facebook ( sorry to disappoint, but I don't have any clever alternative names ). What was so badly wrong here that it became important to recruit people to a more popular location, leaving UKBeg in the doldrums? I have registered to see what the fuss was about, but it all just seems to be one long page, along with a popularity contest to see who has the most friends. I just don't get all the "here I am having a MacD with my fabulous friends, and here is a picture of my dog kennel outside my country pile with my new bathroom and kitchen for entertaining all my new imaginary/online friends ...... etc... drivel.......boast...... :roll:"
Anyway the conclusion that I came to some time ago is Facebook doesn't need ukbeg to survive, but ukbeg does. Whatever, I will be here as long as it lasts. :mrgreen:

:yt:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 811 Next