It is currently 19 Apr 2024 18:30

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2017 17:48 

Current ride: Buell 1125R and M2
I think I read Bruce had invested in Cleveland Cyclewerks. Best of luck to him as I think he wanted to pay less than LAP because he had no intention of liquidating. https://www.facebook.com/clevelandcyclewerks/posts/1837389289871764:0

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2017 18:28 
proff. patpending

Current ride: Victoria Sponge
Ymale wrote:
I think I read Bruce had invested in Cleveland Cyclewerks. Best of luck to him as I think he wanted to pay less than LAP because he had no intention of liquidating. https://www.facebook.com/clevelandcyclewerks/posts/1837389289871764:0

Nor did LAP ;)

chinny reckon

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2017 23:23 
Its a shame EBR has come to an end once again, but come on, when it was announced that it was back in business the band wagon was full of..." for how long this time", "who is gonna want one, let alone buy one?" "waste of time!", blah blah blah...
Well its gone, so all those that had a bloody good poke and laugh at it, can pat themselves on the back with deep joy.

It would seem that really the problems stem back to 1125, a rotax in the HD factory? a bit like putting a Nissan Type R into Morgans workshop and saying it'll blend in...

Would HD cut Buell so quick if the bikes had been using just their motors? who knows, who cares.
I didnt like the EBR bikes, and if i wanted something like that, it would have said KTM on the side.

But nevertheless, all the best to Erik, he gave me the XB9R and that I thank him for.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2017 11:25 

Current ride: 1125R
nickyb wrote:
I didnt like the EBR bikes, and if i wanted something like that, it would have said KTM on the side.

Which raises the point, KTM now don't make the RC8 anymore, all the Aprilias are now V4s, so apart from Ducati (and Brough :D ) is anybody else still making a V twin Supersport?

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2017 19:33 

Current ride: XB9SX
Tyrefryer wrote:
nickyb wrote:

Which raises the point, KTM now don't make the RC8 anymore, all the Aprilias are now V4s, so apart from Ducati (and Brough :D ) is anybody else still making a V twin Supersport?

"Too dangerous for public roads", apparently! :| but there may come a time when all the other top runners make a 200bhp V4 and it just gets boring again.........or such bikes become impractical for highway use due to cripplingly low speed limits and the new fines anyway. :roll: Then we're back to the good old air and oil cooled tractors for all their own merits? ;)

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2017 21:50 

Current ride: 1999 X1
edd wrote:
Tyrefryer wrote:
nickyb wrote:

"Too dangerous for public roads", apparently! :| but there may come a time when all the other top runners make a 200bhp V4 and it just gets boring again.........or such bikes become impractical for highway use due to cripplingly low speed limits and the new fines anyway. :roll: Then we're back to the good old air and oil cooled tractors for all their own merits? ;)

My new v-twin hooligan bike would have said KTM on it too.

As per the RC8, they let it languish in its original state far too long and it allowed itself to become obsolete. Honestly, it's rear suspension was as difficult to dial in as the XB's rear. Good motor. And it set new records at all the tracks in Texas one year, a lot to do with the pilot tho.

"Too dangerous for public roads" was real funny and I remember when he said it. But then they start pumping out a 160 HP adventure bike, as if that won't get someone killed. I'd read rumors the past couple years about them developing a V4 for a RC16 and now they have stellar electronics on their adv bikes with is something the RC8 didn't have. So once their motoGP effort starts paying off, they may just release an RC16. And I won't be buying it either. I had my fill of riding in the fetal position and the bikes are just too damn small.

As for air cooled merits and crippling low speeds, I'm seeing a lot of small displacement bikes coming out. Could be the right idea for many places and uses. Still too small for me.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2017 23:05 

Current ride: XB12s,S1WL, Triumph
Not got the balls for the 190 HP 1290 super duke how about this http://www.cycleworld.com/ktm-790-duke- ... d-category . handles like a warm scalpel through butter. But could you be bothered to rev the tits off it every time you went out on it. Not for me. The reason I enjoy my long stroke Buells, lazy revs high torque easy to to ride. I'll stick to these obsolete v twins thanks.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2017 23:51 

:yt: Bike makers investing in downsized clever designed bundles of......'fun'.

Erik Buell's creations should take some credit for that? ;)

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2017 01:11 
:yt:

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2017 06:25 

Current ride: Buell ulysses
x1glider wrote:

As for air cooled merits and crippling low speeds, I'm seeing a lot of small displacement bikes coming out. Could be the right idea for many places and uses. Still too small for me.

A shame the Blast isn't still being made could of been the cash cow for the business ( Buell/ EBR ) as was I’m sure the C50,70,90's for Honda

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2017 09:51 

x1glider wrote:

Some Afficionados say Ducati's 848 and 956 are better to ride on the road than the 1198 or 1299 (and that the 848 was the last 'real' Duke! Whatever, it seems that you can have too much of a good thing? Or by the time you have enough torque for your daily needs, there is too much of everything else. :roll:

KTM 390s and Yam R3s are clever, but just too small for many of us, but none appear to be brave enough to put really big torque twister motors into small chassis.........because it would have to work right, and might get labled as perceptively slow or agricultural. The Buells we like........again? :?

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2017 17:05 

'959' ? :oooops: